Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Mar 3, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #1,921 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by drkazndragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
care to list some that might work?

i don't know a particular name, but if you put your cell phone in it, seal it, and lose signal, it'll work for shielding.

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #1,922 of 2,194
Sorry if I'm bringing a long-dead thread back up from the grave but can someone give me some help? I'm on Page 51 right now and gonna finish it up but was hoping to get some advice before finishing up the reading.

I've got some Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultras and a X-Fi Elite Pro on the way.

I've ordered 5 of the LM4562 SOIC opamps from National.

I'm probably gonna get the Non-Polarized Black Gate 2200F or F series 1000uF replacement for the power cap.

As far as the 16 capacitors for the opamps go, what's a good replacement cap for those (not sure I wanna short the caps so a higher quality, lower uF cap would be nice)? Preferably ones that are the same size so they aren't sticking out everywhere when I solder them in.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/t/cata...ctrolytic.html

That's the site I probably plan to order them from so it'd be nice if I could get the Black Gate power cap and 16 other caps from the same place to save on shipping.

Would some BLKGATE-60205 NX Hi-Q 22uF 6.3v 5 x 7 be the right specs as far as low enough uF, the correct voltage, and small size?

Or the BLKGATE-58646 Std 22uF 16v 6 x 11 would be better due to the 16v rating instead of the 6.3v on the non-polarized?

Thanks for any help.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #1,923 of 2,194
I think 33uF/6.3v would be perfect replace for those caps, search this thread there's a comparison between 33uF vs original 22uF write down somewhere. replace it with BLKGATE NX Hi-Q is like cap-less sound, so why don't you short them instead? Unless you gonna color the sound with the caps (make the sound bit warmer) using it will be useless

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #1,924 of 2,194
Yea, I read that shorting the caps would help improve the sound, but the whole point of the caps is to keep some DC current from getting through and damaging equipment right?

I know some people have wrote about shorting the caps and being fine, but what if I wanted to be on the safe side?

I'm on page 61 now of the post. I know there were like 2 or 3 other caps beyond the main power cap and the 16 opamp caps that people say there might be reason to change out. Any idea what kind of caps I should purchase to replace those if there's improvement from doing so?

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #1,925 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is a very easy way to accelerate the burning-in for blackgate.
you just have to turn-off the pc, unplug it and turn it on and off for while.do it as many time as you can.
i was doing it this trick and i was amazed with results,the sound become more and more clearer,open and detailed.
how its works?acording to blackagte:it remove the previus residual electricity remaing in the cap and make the internal components react faster.

That sounds like an interesting technique, I tried to Google more but couldn't find anything. Anyone know if this is true?

As for the people who said that would kill your hard drives... you could always unplug them. It's not like you need the hard drives plugged in for electrical current to reach the caps in the sound card.

Is there another method maybe to speed up cap burn-in?

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #1,926 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDShaDoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I read that shorting the caps would help improve the sound, but the whole point of the caps is to keep some DC current from getting through and damaging equipment right?

Most of modern amplifier have a DC blocker, even my 1980's pioneer have DC blocker so why bother? I've done this shorting mod for a half year now...n everything alright...But it's your call
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDShaDoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on page 61 now of the post. I know there were like 2 or 3 other caps beyond the main power cap and the 16 opamp caps that people say there might be reason to change out. Any idea what kind of caps I should purchase to replace those if there's improvement from doing so?

you can see other moders here:Jimmy’s Junkyard » Blog Archive » Onkyo SE-90PCI Mod (Finally, It’s Done!), yes it's Onkyo but you will get the point.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #1,927 of 2,194
I just A/B'd the opamp change with my friend's modded LM4652 X-Fi XtremeMusic (no other mods) and my bone-stock XtremeMusic. I am seriously not hearing a difference and neither is he. Maybe I need some higher priced cans or some high end speakers but IMO the whole thing is psychological. Tests were done on two computers, one right after the other with near passive cooling in each so noise should not be an issue. JVC HA-RX700 was used as the output.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #1,928 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just A/B'd the opamp change with my friend's modded LM4652 X-Fi XtremeMusic (no other mods) and my bone-stock XtremeMusic. I am seriously not hearing a difference and neither is he. Maybe I need some higher priced cans or some high end speakers but IMO the whole thing is psychological. Tests were done on two computers, one right after the other with near passive cooling in each so noise should not be an issue. JVC HA-RX700 was used as the output.

no offense, but you need some better 'phones.
not to mention there are other factors involved in making your x-fi sound better, not just opamp swap.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #1,929 of 2,194
I have the PCI-E Fatal1ty Titanium Soundcard and i can't find the power cap. I'm assuming that I can just switch out all the op-amps with the lm4652s without problems. I attached a picture.

Soundcard-1.jpg

unfortunately these are connected to logitech z-680s. I have a pair of beautiful Infinity RS-325 Dual Port Speakers but no space to use the in my tight computer setup.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #1,930 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by wfarid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the PCI-E Fatal1ty Titanium Soundcard and i can't find the power cap. I'm assuming that I can just switch out all the op-amps with the lm4652s without problems. I attached a picture.

never assume anything, young padawan. to be sure, give us the model number on the opamp. you can sort of read it in the pic, but let's make sure...
i have edited and attached your pic to show where the power filter is.

Soundcard-1.jpg

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #1,932 of 2,194
Quote:

haha, the first ops nubmers are; 4556a
J009h
JRC

and then the other 3 ops are:
4558C
(st logo) ez831

both are pin-for-pin compatible with lm4562.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #1,934 of 2,194
Quote:

thanks random! Now if I changed that power cap, should I then change the Vreg as well?

if you feel so inclined, yes, but they're both in the digital part of the circuit and changing them will have little to no effect on the sound. that is, unless they are noisy as hell, but that's what the power filter cap is for...

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #1,935 of 2,194
oh ok, i just wanted to change them so I don't get exploding caps. I had another one of the same card and one of the caps had gone bust. But I guess I'd have to change ALL of the caps if I wanted to avoid that.

Now would changing the op-amps on the Logitech Z-680 controller have beneficial effects as well?

and thanks for all the help random!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back