Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Jul 29, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #1,951 of 2,194
Im prolly gonna give the opamp swapp a try some time soon but Im wondering if a Sanyo 1000uF/6,3v will do the job for the power filter cap swapp? (The job as in a noticeable sound diffrence to the better?)

As for the shielding anyone have any tips on something else than the ERS paper?

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #1,952 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can mods mentioned in this thread work for the X-Fi Xtremeaudio? No gaming needed, just 2 channel.

PCI or PCIe? Yes it can be done on both, a simple opamp change would improve the sound quality

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #1,953 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by danne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the shielding anyone have any tips on something else than the ERS paper?

I'm going to try Dynamat Xtreme because I have some on hand, and I don't want to spend more on shielding.

Carbon fiber was mentioned earlier. This Sample Pack seems like a good option for $25 shipped.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #1,954 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCI or PCIe? Yes it can be done on both, a simple opamp change would improve the sound quality

PCI.

Any idea if the opamp originally mentioned in this thread would fit?

I have soldered before, but nothing this tiny. And I have no idea how to de-solder or even how to remove the existing opamp. These mods seem like they should be simple enough, but I'd hate to get started and then not be unable to finish because I don't know what I'm doing... lol.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #1,957 of 2,194
Its surface mounted, there is various ways to get the opamp out, some cut the opamp leg out, but I use a pin and use soler iron to lift the opamp pin one by one, its dangerous because you can accidentally remove the trace off the PCB, I suggest you try on old PCB before starting, or you could use your own tricks

Is this your card? If it does, the topmost and the most rectangular (not square) one is the front channel, as I've seen from all Creative cards that they become predictable, even from old SB Live! they use the same old opamp over & over again

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #1,959 of 2,194
Yes, that's the card I'm asking about, but I don't own it yet. I located the main opamp easy enough, but I don't know which 4 of those things to the right of it that I'm supposed to short. And, I can't locate the power filter capacitor. I suppose just replacing the opamp would be sufficient. But it seems a shame to buy this soldering equipment, learn to do this, and then only mod it part way.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #1,960 of 2,194
Alright, Ive swapped the opamp now aswell as the power filter cap to following:
LM4562MA dual audio op-amp
Sanyo 1000uF/6,3v
Result: Windows finds the card but cannot recognize it.
The X-FI's own software cant find it either.

Any help?

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #1,961 of 2,194
Installed the latest drivers and suddely it found the card again and it works!
smily_headphones1.gif

Now time to listen to music!!!!

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #1,963 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the successful mod. What sound card?

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series

Also made an own shielding construction on the PCI slot above with some tin foil havent notice any diffrence by just doing that though, but hey better safe than sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

But its an quite big sound improvement after all the mods.
Havent shorten those 4 other caps do and I guess I could try get an even better power filter cap, but Im happy for now atleast
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for a great guide and alot of usefull comments!

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #1,964 of 2,194
Shorten those 4 caps will give the most sound quality difference simply because they put cheap ***** capacitor there, makes everything sounds worse. Or if you wary about D offset, a better capacitor like Panasonic FM or Blackgate NX HQ will be a good upgrade

I just bought an Elite Pro, its definitely an upgrade from XtremeMusic, even at stock I'm enjoying it, only those 4 caps makes everything sound blurry and distant. I worried of shorting them but I'm lack of caps now, only have a couple of 47uF Blackgate NX HQ, maybe I should short them and put the caps on rear jack

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #1,965 of 2,194
I just removed the 4 decoupling caps yesterday, pretty much clears up any veil in the sound which is a good change. Should have done this earlier, instead of a year later after replacing the opamps. Seems like the power filter is the last thing for me to change, but from what I've read it doesn't make too big of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back