Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Jan 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #1,471 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by catx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"...replaced the stock coupling capacitors with 33uF Panasonic FCs and the power filter cap with a 1500uF Rubycon MBZ. The sound improvement is huge (power filter cap made only a little difference anyway)
smily_headphones1.gif

Any hint about fixing my front channel will be appreciated!
wink.gif

catx:
- now thats the way to do mods!
- with detailed RMAA results showing 33uf coupling cap changes.
- correct, not much sound quality improvement with filter cap C177, (for SB0460) as shown in your tests.

Have no advice on your LineOutFR 1, right channel problem, but hopefully, its an opamp problem. (assuming no driver corruption)

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #1,472 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by trikosuave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bichi: I noticed you have done a lot of testing on the thread and you have replaced more than the opamps, main power cap, and coupling caps. I was wondering you could take a look at what I have and suggest any other caps I should have changed as well.
"...Anything else you, or anyone for that matter, would suggest differently or in addition to?..."
Thanks!

trikosuave,
- Depends on which X-FI model you have: SB0460 (Music, Fatality) or SB0550 (Elite, Pro)
- Don't expect much sound quality improvement, changing filter cap C177 (SB0460) / C161 (SB0550) for CA20K1 DSP.
(see Catx's excellent post and comment on C177 filter cap: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3694789-post1467.html)
- For basic changes, see below, per model number:
- for more detailed changes, see: X-FI Op Amp and Cap Modification eSnips Folder

SB0460: (Music, Fatality)
a) coupling caps, (Front: C23, C50, C76, C77)
b) C46 +5vdc supply to opamps: Panasonic FM or FC, 330uf @ 16 or 25vdc
c) C72 -5vdc supply to opamps: Panasonic FM or FC, 68uf @ 16 or 25vdc

SB0460 Part Location Reference Only:
X-FI-MOD-070b - eSnips, share anything

SB0550: (Elite, Pro)
a) coupling caps, (Front: C45, C58, C35, C49)
b) C104, C133 +/-12vdc supply to opamps: Panasonic FM or FC, 330uf @ 16 or 25vdc
c) C55 +5vdc Va supply to DACs: Panasonic FM or FC, 68uf @ 16 or 25vdc
d) C6 +5vdc Va to AK5394 ADC: Kemet 22uf TANT @ 25vdc

SB0550 Part Location Reference Only:
X-FI-MOD-084b - eSnips, share anything

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #1,473 of 2,194
After discovering that my lineout1 opamp wasn't causing the problem on my front right channel it turned out that one of the muting transistor was dead. I didn't had the necessary part for replacement, so I simply bypassed both muting circuits.
The result is amazing, according to RMAA THD is now 0.0011% at 24bit 48KHz. The only problem is the crackling sound i get when I turn off my pc.

I wil post some pics and RMAA images as soon as I have time
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #1,474 of 2,194
I am finished with the mods to my xtreme music card and it's probably been mentioned in theis forum before but I can't find it - what are you folks using as an insulating layer between the ers paper and the back of the card and how do you attach both to the soundcard? I didn't buy the adhesive backed paper. Any help would be appreciated...

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #1,475 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have no technical experience with electronics, I would not be able to solder on new opamps, unfortunately.

You don't have to solder on new opamps the front channels have a socket so you can try out other opamps if you want. The LM4562NA opamp used in the Prelude is the one quite a few guys are using on their CL X-fi's as part of the mod in these threads. I have been testing out some new ones...
cool.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #1,476 of 2,194
After so many posts and tests, is there any list of the mods for the best sound quality found? (what opamps and what caps)

thanks

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #1,478 of 2,194
Howdy.

I've just received a handful of OPAMPS from National Semi conductor but upon inspecting my Elite Pro, I find that the OPAMP layout is slightly different than the OP's first page photos illustrate.

Does somebody have a diagram of the Elite Pro's OPAMP layout so I can be sure I'm snipping and soldering in the right places?

Thanks for any assist ...

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #1,479 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy.

I've just received a handful of OPAMPS from National Semi conductor but upon inspecting my Elite Pro, I find that the OPAMP layout is slightly different than the OP's first page photos illustrate.

Does somebody have a diagram of the Elite Pro's OPAMP layout so I can be sure I'm snipping and soldering in the right places?

Thanks for any assist ...

You need to dig up this thread. But I point you to right direction, since it will take time
Here and here

It looks the same, the lettering is the same so the orientation is the same too. Hope that helps

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #1,480 of 2,194
Quote:

"...Does somebody have a diagram of the Elite Pro's OPAMP layout so I can be sure I'm snipping and soldering in the right places? Thanks for any assist ..."

SB0550 Elite picture with part IDs:

Text file descriptions/annotations for above:
X-FI-MOD-085b - eSnips, share anything

Close up of SB0550 Elite Line-Out front-channel opamp U7 location: (socketed, but good close-up)
X-FI-MOD-092b - eSnips, share anything

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #1,481 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by bichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SB0550 Elite picture with part IDs:

Text file descriptions/annotations for above:
X-FI-MOD-085b - eSnips, share anything

Close up of SB0550 Elite Line-Out front-channel opamp U7 location: (socketed, but good close-up)
X-FI-MOD-092b - eSnips, share anything

PERFECT!! Thanks.

BTW ... that socketed OPAMP on the main L/R out ... I'm assuming this lets a user easily pop in a variety of OPAMPS ... so where would I find that particular socket if I wanted to solder that on instead of a fixed OPAMP?

Thanks again for any info ...

Feb 2, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #1,482 of 2,194
Quote:

PERFECT!! Thanks.
BTW ... that socketed OPAMP on the main L/R out ... I'm assuming this lets a user easily pop in a variety of OPAMPS ... so where would I find that particular socket if I wanted to solder that on instead of a fixed OPAMP? Thanks again for any info ...

SOIC Socket Hack with part details:
X-FI-MOD-032b - eSnips, share anything

SOIC Socket carrier:
X-FI-MOD-033b - eSnips, share anything

Also socketed key coupling capacitor locations for easy experimentation...

Might want to scroll thru X-FI mod pictures with notes. Covers both SB0460 (Music, Fatality, etc.) and SB0550 (Elite).
SB0550 stuff begins at panel 16, picture "X-FI-MOD-084b."
X-FI Op Amp and Cap Modification eSnips Folder

EDIT:
past post with additional socket details:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3266394-post1286.html

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #1,483 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by bichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SOIC Socket Hack with part details:
X-FI-MOD-032b - eSnips, share anything

SOIC Socket carrier:
X-FI-MOD-033b - eSnips, share anything

Also socketed key coupling capacitor locations for easy experimentation...

Might want to scroll thru X-FI mod pictures with notes. Covers both SB0460 (Music, Fatality, etc.) and SB0550 (Elite).
SB0550 stuff begins at panel 16, picture "X-FI-MOD-084b."
X-FI Op Amp and Cap Modification eSnips Folder

EDIT:
past post with additional socket details:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3266394-post1286.html

@Bichi:

You know ... I bought a soldering iron today and started testing the removal process on some OPAMPS on an old SB Live 5.1 card I have ... and for the life of me, after I heated up the existing stock solder on the Live's OPAMPS, I couldn't get the dang legs to seperate from the board!

Do you have any suggestions?

Also ... even better ... do you do mods for folks? If so, please email me at leojharris ->AT<- gmail ->dot<-- com to let me know. I would like to have a socketed front L/F OPAMP and that's about it (unless you can suggest something that truly improves sound, in which case I'd be interested in rates for that as well).

What I'm trying to beat:

I've spent 180 dollars on an EMU 0404 USB, simply to run a line-out from it to my Practical Devices XM4 amp.

I originally did this with the expectation of taking it back (and I still have a 15 day window) but unfortunately ... the sound running line-out of the 0404 and to my amp, sounds WAY WAY better than running line-out of my Elite Pro (Front L/R channel) to the same amp.

This is through both my Shure SE530's and my Grado RS1's, both sound way better line out from the EMU to my amp; no comparison:

Out from 0404 line-out to amp: clean, great separation, great soundstage and bass -

Out from Elite Pro line out (Front L/R) to amp: Diminished soundstage, overall bland sound across all freq's, and bass that's just not nearly as taut or deep as the EMU 0404.

I hate this as the X-fi Elite Pro cost me a whopping 250 dollars ... but the proof is in the ears, so to speak. Line out from the back of the EMU (not the headphone out, mind you) sounds quite a bit better than line-out from the X-fi Elite Pros front L/R miniplug.

So if you care to take on some side work, please email me at the above address.

(BTW ... the same request is made to any others here who might like to do some side mod work for $$ ... feel free to email me)

Thanks again for the kick arse photos ...

wink.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #1,484 of 2,194
radioshack or fry's has those mini cutter, I used these to chop off the legs of the original opamp.

Also, do you have the option to use the line out from the back of the elite pro instead of the front one?

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #1,485 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
radioshack or fry's has those mini cutter, I used these to chop off the legs of the original opamp.

Also, do you have the option to use the line out from the back of the elite pro instead of the front one?

I *am* actually using the line-out from the card itself; I'm running out from the green, front L/R channel.

I sold the breakout box a while back due to it's inferior OPAMPS and DAC (though I am missing the phono preamp!).
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back