Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Apr 12, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #376 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlizzofOZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be rude, but please re-read my question...

I'm looking for these components to be orderable online. I could be mistaken, but Part Connecxion and Percy Audio look to be a mail order.

Cotdt, could you direct me to a part number of the Elna's? I'm a newb and wouldn't want to order the wrong part. I don't see any product called Silmic.

Thanks!

both Partsconnexion and Percyaudio both take orders via email with their full catalogs online. You can mail in payment if you like, but they both accept online payment

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #377 of 2,194
Thanks Soloz2, good to know.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #378 of 2,194
I just put in an order at National Semiconductor for 3 samples on the LM4562 amp... nowhere did it show totaly price or shipping cost. Recieved a verification email, which I accepted. Message was displayed stating that it would at most 24 hours for review. Then recieved an email stating order will be shipped.

Will I be charged? When?

I hear others being charged something like $11, but I don't see that for me.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #379 of 2,194
I just ordered three LM4562 and three "604-1059-ND CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT AUDIO RAD" from Digikey to Finland. Price was a little bit higher than ordering only samples from National Semiconductor but it saves me the trouble to hunt down the appropriate capacitor from Finland's stores which didn't seem to have anything good in their lists.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #380 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered three LM4562 and three "604-1059-ND CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT AUDIO RAD" from Digikey to Finland.

Seba... sorry, I'll fix my post. I meant that I ordered samples from National Semiconductor.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #381 of 2,194
I ordered one of the FK Polarized and one of the NX Non-Polarized caps from Percy. I am not sure what the sonic differences will be.

Anyone have a reccomendation as to which one might be "better" ?

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #382 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlizzofOZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just put in an order at National Semiconductor for 3 samples on the LM4562 amp... nowhere did it show totaly price or shipping cost. Recieved a verification email, which I accepted. Message was displayed stating that it would at most 24 hours for review. Then recieved an email stating order will be shipped.

Will I be charged? When?

I hear others being charged something like $11, but I don't see that for me.

You might be the lucky one to get samples free of charge.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #383 of 2,194
I just got done soldering on the Blackgate nonpolar 1000uF 25v, and shorting the caps near the main opamp. This completes my XFi mod since i don't plan on doing the shielding paper thingy.
The Blackgate will take a while to burn in so i cant really comment on its sound yet, I'll post an update when it seems to be settled in a bit.

Again many many thanks to cotdt for both his initial post as well as the excellent support to the questions me and others had/have about it. You rule.

Heres a pic of the new capacitor on the board:
BG-NP-1000-25.jpg

cap.jpg

And the shorting of the opamp capacitors:
shortedcaps.jpg

Yes that is copperwick you see.. I hope that doesn't violate some ethical code
redface.gif
i couldnt get the tin to bridge the connections by itself and got impatient, then saw the wick and figured why not..

Re: M3NTAL: the people at the audiophile store i got my cap say the nonpolar ones are superior in every aspect over the polar ones, and swear by them.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #384 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might be the lucky one to get samples free of charge.

I didn't hear that... free samples AND free shipping?!?
icon10.gif

I don't have that kind of luck...
blink.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #387 of 2,194
Not sure what it is that makes you rofl but if its the fact that its been rumored since years now then I can say i just pasted a link that was in English, since i heard it from the largest blackgate retailer in the netherlands, who posted the news of the definite stop of production today.
http://www.degroefaudio.nl/dg_nieuws.php?vNr=63

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #389 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So can you guys who have done the Cap replacement mod tell me what you guys hear now that you installed the better quality cap?

i am still waiting for my blackgate,but i have modedd my card with sanyo wg 16v 470uF to satisfy your curiosity.
to describe i have to say that the bass is wide,clean,immersive and deep.
i have been wathing some movies and must say that the bass is rich and more enjoyble
3000smile.gif
,sometimes i feel that the bass is comming from everywhere,its like saying bass with more soundstage or perception.
sorry guys but i cant any other way to describe the impovement.
i hope that the card will sound even better with blackgate.

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #390 of 2,194
Black gate caps going out of production is ROFL because the boy has cried wolf too many times. The big distributors said it last time too... and the time before that... and before that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back