Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Apr 12, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #362 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having an impossible time finding a site that I can just click and purchase a cap this evening instead of having to fax/e-mail/call.

You can get ELNA Silmics at Digikey. They are twice the size of the corresponding Blackgates, so they must be damn good!

Edit: Okay, not quite twice as big, but 1.5X as big. splaz sent me some and I'm putting them into my amp.

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #363 of 2,194
Maybe a bit of a dumb question but before I do something stupid.. Shorting the 22uF caps is done by just making connections between the two pins of each of the 4 caps?

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #364 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe a bit of a dumb question but before I do something stupid.. Shorting the 22uF caps is done by just making connections between the two pins of each of the 4 caps?

yeah, shorting them is the same as removing the capacitors and putting a wire across where the capacitors used to be. Except it's not necessary to remove the capacitors.

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #365 of 2,194
Ok thanks.
One more question (hope its not getting annoying yet..)

I'm about to take a ride to the store that has blackgates, but it seems they have the nonpolar high end series only upto 470uF at 16v. Now I know that this should work just fine, but I plan to use the card with a 595 and (for now) without a dedicated amp. And since you mentioned earlier that higher capacity will give the output more drive, would I maybe be better off with a 2200uF regular blackgate instead of a 470uF one from the nonpolar series?

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #366 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks.
One more question (hope its not getting annoying yet..)

I'm about to take a ride to the store that has blackgates, but it seems they have the nonpolar high end series only upto 470uF at 16v. Now I know that this should work just fine, but I plan to use the card with a 595 and (for now) without a dedicated amp. And since you mentioned earlier that higher capacity will give the output more drive, would I maybe be better off with a 2200uF regular blackgate instead of a 470uF one from the nonpolar series?

nonpolar =)

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #367 of 2,194
BlackGate1000Nx.jpg

Well it turns out the voltage is just a maximum.. so I got a Blackgate non-polar 1000uf 25v cap (Nx series). According to the ppl at the hifi store these put the regular series to shame. Granted, theyre more than 3x as expensive too. I paid 12.80 euro or so versus 4 euro for the regular one.

Another benefit of these is that they are smaller then the regular series. I forgot to put a reference item in the picture but its maybe 3cm tall and 1.5cm wide, pretty modest.

Another final question: are capacitors like these sensitive to mechanical shock? (ie when it falls on the ground can they get internal damage, or am I worrying over nothing? (yes it fell on a floor - I didnt do it!)

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #368 of 2,194
They should be fine after 1000 hours of burn in. The nonpolars take especially long to burn in, which is why I opted for the polars. Also, with the same capacitance, the nonpolars are twice as big. I decided I wanted as much capacitance as I could get, so I opted for the polars. But like you mentioned, many people who have used the nonpolars have been awed by them.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #370 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlizzofOZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an XtremeMusic board that I'm interested in hotrodding...

What online sites offer the Black Gates?

I've ordered from Digi-Key and Mouser, but I can't find them there.

Thanks!

not to be rude, but refer to the OP and/or read through the thread. It has been mentioned numerous times where you can get Blackgates

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #371 of 2,194
Quote:

I have an XtremeMusic board that I'm interested in hotrodding...

What online sites offer the Black Gates?

I've ordered from Digi-Key and Mouser, but I can't find them there.

Thanks!

You can use the Elna Silmic from DigiKey, instead of the Blackgates. They are probably just as good as the standard Blackgates.

Edit: soloz2 beat me to it. Yes, they are mentioned in the first post.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #372 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not to be rude, but refer to the OP and/or read through the thread. It has been mentioned numerous times where you can get Blackgates

Not to be rude, but please re-read my question...

I'm looking for these components to be orderable online. I could be mistaken, but Part Connecxion and Percy Audio look to be a mail order.

Cotdt, could you direct me to a part number of the Elna's? I'm a newb and wouldn't want to order the wrong part. I don't see any product called Silmic.

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #373 of 2,194
Quote:

Not to be rude, but please re-read my question...

I'm looking for these components to be orderable online. I could be mistaken, but Part Connecxion and Percy Audio look to be a mail order.

Cotdt, could you direct me to a part number of the Elna's? I'm a newb and wouldn't want to order the wrong part. I don't see any product called Silmic.

Thanks!

Digikey Part Number 604-1059-ND

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #375 of 2,194
Quote:

Thanks very much for taking the time to look it up for me!
biggrin.gif

No problem. Everyone needs to hear this mod in its full glory, including you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back