Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Apr 14, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #407 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryField /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm completely dumb when it comes to soldering though. I only know how to build PC's, bad at dremeling, modding pc cases, etc.

just review the basic solder tutorials and you'll be well along your way. it's not that difficult. akin to putting together a PC, and many times easier than building a watercooled rig.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #408 of 2,194
can anyone point to a decent 60w soldering iron that I can purchase online? I'm in a relatively small city, Madison, WI, we don't have any of those hardware stores that sell caps etc. I'm guessing soldering iron wouldn't be cheap at menards either.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #409 of 2,194
Quote:

can anyone point to a decent 60w soldering iron that I can purchase online? I'm in a relatively small city, Madison, WI, we don't have any of those hardware stores that sell caps etc. I'm guessing soldering iron wouldn't be cheap at menards either.

Depends on whether you want to get into this hobby or whether this is a one-time affair. If you think you may get deeper into this hobby in the future, then go for the Hakko 936.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #410 of 2,194
Ok, I did the first mod, I replace the opamp with LM4562 in X-Fi Elite Pro and it is of course as anyone did and said about it, My HD595 bass is clearly present now I before I always describe it the low-bass high-end, also the treble is much improved and listening at high volume is more comfortable to the ear, but I didn't hear the improvement of the vocals. I hope I'll hear it after changing the caps to the black gate or shorting the four caps and Applying ERS paper.
orphsmile.gif

So what kind of improvement I'll get after doing the next mods ?

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #411 of 2,194
Quote:

i'm completely dumb when it comes to soldering though. I only know how to build PC's, bad at dremeling, modding pc cases, etc.

you'll be happy w/ your x-fi. If you are uncomfortable modding your card you can always send it to myself or any one of the other capable people here to mod it for you.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #412 of 2,194
Great, I sell the X-Fi a few months back and now I see the Franken-Fi edition. Why do you people do this to me?
biggrin.gif
"My names Bob, and Im a member at Head-Fi". I love this hobby, always something for everybody
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #413 of 2,194
For anyone that is not comfortable with soldering

I recommand this site

http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/

It gave a very detail tutorial of what to do and what kind of equipment you should get.

It is lengthy, but its worth it

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #414 of 2,194
I posted earlier about ordering LM4562 samples from National Semiconductor and not recieving any kind of payment option.

I also just received an email stated that order was shipped. I view my order status and it clearly shows price of samples and shipping as free.

Has anybody ordered samples for free... including shipping?

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #415 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlizzofOZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted earlier about ordering LM4562 samples from National Semiconductor and not recieving any kind of payment option.

I also just received an email stated that order was shipped. I view my order status and it clearly shows price of samples and shipping as free.

Has anybody ordered samples for free... including shipping?

yes, this has been discussed a few pages back. I suspect you used a .edu email address?

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #416 of 2,194
GameBlaster, I also have Sennheiser HD595 headphones and I want to ask you do you turn the creative volume knob higher to get the same volume you were getting with these headphones in the x-fi main output before the mod?

I'm asking because in specs the default NJM2114 op-amp has a much higher output current capacity, 60mA vs 26mA of the LM4562, so I assume there should be a difference. People who have used the card with sennheiser HD series or other high-impedance headphones before and after the mod please comment on that.

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #417 of 2,194
Well... I first used my home address. When I logged in, it stated that I would be charged something.

I did see that post about someone using their address from school, so I thought why not try using my work address?

So, using my work address I didn't get charged for anything... I was expecting pay for the shipping. I guess not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back