hotaudio40 's amps
Feb 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #346 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're lucky
smily_headphones1.gif

The "DAC STRAIGHT" is AC coupled, so you'll be fine
smily_headphones1.gif

I realized that I don't fully comprehend what you mean lol. I just found out my amp is DC coupled, so does that mean the DAC Straight is or is not compatible?

As far as I understand, it should be compatible, based on what you wrote in the description for the DAC Straight Dual Mode on ebay:
Quote:

I must emphasize this DAC can NOT be used in DC mode with amplifiers that have DC coupled inputs

And as you said, the DAC Straight is AC coupled, thus it follows that it would be compatible with my DC coupled amp.

Is that logic at all right lol

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #347 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgupt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And as you said, the DAC Straight is AC coupled, thus it follows that it would be compatible with my DC coupled amp.

Yes, your right...

It IS compatible with your DC coupled amplifier because the DAC STRAIGHT already has the DC blocking capacitors as it has an AC coupled output.

I am curious though...

What amplifier do you have that has DC coupled inputs ????

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #348 of 771
This thread sure is staying interesting. And, despite the increase in interest (and orders? well, one person knows) David is still keeping up his excellent customer service.

Once I get more settled in (deciding on a second set of cans atm and an EF1 is on it's way) I'm probably going to want another DAC. And I'm pretty sure I know where I'm going to get it.

Last night the battery on the TPA amp died and I was too lazy to get up and swap, so I just switched to listening straight from the HotUSB1.

I've been using the amp more or less exclusively since my last post on it, so I've gotten really to its sound. Like usual, the HotUSB1 alone gave a touch more air but...it also felt like the mids were veiled a bit. Guitars were flatter and thinner, the bass guitar (which is mixed very high, but still) lacked the punch or energy I had become accustomed to.

It's wasn't a great recording (Iron Maiden's A Real Dead One) or a great rip (only 256k mp3), but the difference really stood out to me. The USB1 doesn't sound bad--and it's lightyears ahead of the hp out from my D630--but the TPA6120 amp really makes my 2200s rock.

Since that got me interested, I switched over to a flac rip of The Clansman (it was an Iron Maiden kinda night). In the middle section, before the solos, I noticed just a general flatness to the sound. Cymbals were particularly distant. So I got up and got my other rechargeable 9v to give that section a whirl with the amp.

I won't say it's night and day--it isn't. But the cymbal crashes sounded like they were part of the same recording, the bass (remember, mixed quite high) had more energy and definition, and guitars had a bit more body. Everything was warmer and closer--two things I think this TPA amp does.

So now that I had the amp on I switched to Metal Church's A Subtle War, just for the intro. The amp really does give a nice kick to the drums.

Then I was all over the place. This is a fun amp. It's definitely got a touch of warmth and it also feels like it brings you closer to the music. It feels like I lose the few rows that I got moved back by switching to the USB1 from my hp out.

Oh, and Dave, one last thing.

How about a name for the amp? TPA6120a2 with Digital Rotary etc etc just doesn't roll off the tongue like "The Predator" or "The Raptor." Now, I'm no marketing major, but since you're from Canada I was thinking something like "The Raging Moose?"
tongue.gif

Thoughts?

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #349 of 771
lol, hey "THE RAGING MOOSE" is a great name... and there are alot of mooses out here... lol

lots of snow and frigid temperatures too
smily_headphones1.gif

I was thinking of names, as I often do, lol

Do you really think "TPA6120a2 Based Headphone Amplifier with Alps Digital Volume / Balance Control " is too long a name, lol

Maybe 'HAWADVBC', lol

Well for real, I thought of the name "THUNDERBOLT" but I am so sure that name is most likely used somewhere in audio equipment.

I've already noticed people are calling the "HOTUSB1" the "USB1" now...

Interesting how people shorten names, so it has to be a short name and of course unique so people can find it.

Since nobody is buying my "HIGH-OUTPUT HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER" it too needs a new name, lol,

But what.... ????

What about the "ICEHEAD" since after all, after I get back from the post office that pretty much describes my situation... , lol

What about "THE RAGING BEAVER" , lol
We have alot more beavers then mooses, and the beavers are very aggressive
smily_headphones1.gif

lol

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #350 of 771
Quote:

lol, hey "THE RAGING MOOSE" is a great
Since nobody is buying my "HIGH-OUTPUT HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER" it too needs a new name, lol,

But what.... ????

lol

HotHeadAmp?

L3000.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #351 of 771
Quote:

Yes, your right...

It IS compatible with your DC coupled amplifier because the DAC STRAIGHT already has the DC blocking capacitors as it has an AC coupled output.

I am curious though...

What amplifier do you have that has DC coupled inputs ????

OK great thanks haha. It's the Meier Audio Corda Headfive in my sig.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #352 of 771
Quote:

lol, hey "THE RAGING MOOSE" is a great name... and there are alot of mooses out here... lol

What about the "ICEHEAD" since after all, after I get back from the post office that pretty much describes my situation... , lol

What about "THE RAGING BEAVER" , lol
We have alot more beavers then mooses, and the beavers are very aggressive
smily_headphones1.gif

lol

I actually just got back from doing the Polar Bear Plunge in Sea Isle City--worst decision ever. Well, the decision to do it completely sober was. I'm pretty familiar with being an icehead at the moment.

Anyway..hmm...the HotAudio line of amps: The Icehead, the Raging Beaver, the Raging Moose. Well, that's a start. Now we just need to apply the names to the products.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #355 of 771
Quote:

Interesting how people shorten names, so it has to be a short name and of course unique so people can find it.

Definitely agreed! Having unique names makes your different models, well, unique... both within your lineup and in the wider marketplace.

I'd much rather call mine a "HotAudio Mark VII" (or whatever replacement name you decide) than a generic-sounding "BIT-PERFECT USB DAC HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER."

I love the new names too, they've got character and a nice Canadian touch to catch the attention and help differentiate from the rest of the field.

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #356 of 771
lol, yes names are VERY important...

I've learned so much about marketing and I do realize that everything is in a name...

Well not everything, but a good name can sell a bad product, and a bad name can keep excellent products sitting on the shelves...

The "ICEHEAD" is real too now
smily_headphones1.gif

as is the "THUNDERBOLT"...

as for the "MARK VII BIT-PERFECT USB DAC"...

I kind of liked that name, but I see now that it is WAY too long....

lol,

there are many beers out here with moose like names, so I have to be careful

We sell allot of beer here...

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #357 of 771
Haha, Dave, I love it. You're taking listening to your customers to a whole new level. Whether or not listening to us is any good...well...that's another story.

So, looking at fleabay, your amp product line goes Icehead < Thunderbolt < Raging Moose?

I do like the Mark X name scheme though. USB 1 and then Mark IV, VII, (with V, VI, etc whenever you find a product that fits) for the DACs is pretty easy to keep track of.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #358 of 771
Yes, you got it
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I listen very carefully to what feedback I get.

I used to think I knew it all, that I knew everything....

But now I realize, and it took me a long time to realize it too
smily_headphones1.gif

That I don't know everything and I should "listen" to what others say...

I don't always follow their advice, but I do listen...

ICEHEAD ( generic headphone amp, very loud, very accurate )

THUNDERBOLT ( TPA6120a2 based, again very loud, but more accurate )

THE MOOSE ( TPA6120a2 based with digital volume, my most accurate amp )

And I also like the MARK X names...

The MARK series is really the evolution of the HOTUSB1, which could be considered the MARK I and the DAC DESTROYER would be the MARK III, and of course the buffered version is the MARK IV.

But the DAC STRAIGHT and DAC STRAIGHT DUAL MODE I think I will keep those names for a while... those are really part of the "SUPREME" line, but they are different products, so I gave them a new name... same DAC chip as the SUPREME, but different design & philosophy...

The SUPREME is a whole different design with what some consider to be TIs' best DAC chip, at least that's what I've read, but TI has allot of DAC options and I have yet to try them all.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #360 of 771
Quote:

But what.... ????

How about the Ho-Ha or Ho-Ha 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back