hotaudio40 's amps
Jan 8, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #181 of 771
Ordered a HOTAUDIO SUPREME PCM2702 BUFFERED USB DAC today, I can't see any posts about this product. Dave recommended it over the 2 other DACs he is producing.

I was originally planing to buy the HOTUSB1 since I am suppose to use it as a pure DAC to feed a HEAD-DIRECT EF1 (on its way), but after mailing Dave he recommended the Supreme. Now I am a bit worried that the amp will be feed with to “much power”. I don't have any experience with this, but the last thing I want is to blow my new amp along with my headphones (HD600 and AH-D2000) the first time I power up my laptop. So I am curious how it will work. In any case I will find a use for it.

Going back to the sound quality, does anyone have any listening experience regarding the supreme? I wonder how the supreme would compare against more expensive and bigger DACs like Headroom Micro DAC or Keces DA-151 DAC. I am currently using the headphone output of my HP laptop, and a got to say it is remarkable nice sounding (for a laptop) hope the supreme will make a difference.

Anyone know what sound difference there are between the pcm2705 and the pcm2702?

As I see other has, I too have to give Dave credit for fast mail replies and shipping. Getting conformation of shipping less then 30min after placing a order is great, but I guess being a small “company” would help
smily_headphones1.gif
but 2 thumbs up for friendly and good mail responses.

There are some information about the different DACs on the hotaudio web page, but some more information about the differences in sound quality/details/etc. would be “good for business”. Especially between mark IV and supreme. Now it seem like the biggest difference between the products are the price. (Just me 2 cents) Well after the 25% discount on the supreme there isn't much difference in price either)

I'll try to write a review when I have received the supreme. (cant if my ears are made of dung and I can't hear the difference between my laptop and the DAC+ hybrid amp solution
wink.gif
)

Dave: you should also think about becoming a head-fi sponsor or by som other means getting a link on head-fi. For a
novice like me, it was just coincidence I found your web page. Got a tip from a fellow head fi'er

Stian

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #182 of 771
Oh, don't worry about the DAC blowing anything up. It won't do that
smily_headphones1.gif

You have control!
Just like a regular sound card.

I actually did send an email about being a sponsor of head-fi.org, but I never got a response back
frown.gif

Perhaps my email got lost.

Either way I do advertise through google on this site, so in a way I do sponsor them...

As far at what the differences between a PCM2705 and a PCM2702...

There are many....

Checking out the specs at TI.COM is a good place to start.

I would tell you the differences, but I like reading about what others think.

Really the specs don't tell the whole story. They do when it comes to noise floor and accuracy. But as far as how it would sound. The specs can't tell you a thing.

But the specs can tell you what a chip is capable of if it is implemented properly.

I try to be as informative about my products as possible, but I get so caught up in the design and testing phases, that I never really get around to putting out a good explanation of the differences.

I try to, but I'm always building and designing and listening
smily_headphones1.gif

I've only sold a handful of SUPREME DACs so there's not much written about them.

Just a few brief comments on my evilbay feedback and because my evilbay sales are anonymous, you can't tell what product they're talking about unless they say and sometimes they do say, but mostly they don't.

hotaudio40

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #183 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also looks like the hotUSB1 has an amp in it, but I already have RSA Hornet M which I love. Would the DAC benefit from another amp such as that?

From what Dave has said, it appears that the HotUSB1 is the ideal way to go if you already have an amp you'd like to use with it. The Mark IV (and the Supreme) are buffered and won't need an amp unless you're trying to drive more inefficient phones. Adding an amp to them might help--and it might be overkill, depending on the application.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going back to the sound quality, does anyone have any listening experience regarding the supreme? I wonder how the supreme would compare against more expensive and bigger DACs like Headroom Micro DAC or Keces DA-151 DAC. I am currently using the headphone output of my HP laptop, and a got to say it is remarkable nice sounding (for a laptop) hope the supreme will make a difference.

I can't comment on the supreme specifically, but the HotUSB1 was a huge step up over my D630's headphone jack. And I thought that the D630 was pretty nice, as it was a good step up over my old M6805. I have an A/B comparison a few pages back, but the shorthand version is: external dac > headphone jack.

I had a lot of distortion at the extremes that cleared up completely and there's a slightly larger soundstage. And of course, the noise from my headphone jack doesn't exist in the DAC--in all, a great upgrade. I'm sure the Supreme will be just as good.

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #184 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would tell you the differences, but I like reading about what others think.

Really the specs don't tell the whole story. They do when it comes to noise floor and accuracy. But as far as how it would sound. The specs can't tell you a thing.

But the specs can tell you what a chip is capable of if it is implemented properly.

I try to be as informative about my products as possible, but I get so caught up in the design and testing phases, that I never really get around to putting out a good explanation of the differences.

I try to, but I'm always building and designing and listening
smily_headphones1.gif

I've only sold a handful of SUPREME DACs so there's not much written about them.

hotaudio40

Hehe, well guess I dont have to worry about blowing anything up then
wink.gif

I'll try to give you some feedback when I get it
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there a reason that you use a 16bit insted of 24bit design?

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #185 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a reason that you use a 16bit insted of 24bit design?

As far as I understand, the USB chips available are generally limited to 16bit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #186 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by nowickia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I understand, the USB chips available are generally limited to 16bit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's the fact the current usb drivers only allow 16 bit stream of audio through them.

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #187 of 771
That is correct.

The Windows USB drivers only allow 16 bit streams.

Kinda strange when you think about it....

I'm sure Microsofft has their reasons.

Perhaps not to compete with all the other formats, because the PC would CRUSH them all.

With software, if you think about it, it is quite easy to change a 16 to a 24 as the data is just streamed out....

In fact why stop at 24 bit, when all you'd have to do is change the stream number to a say 128 bit or whatever....

Same with inputting, just change one number....

I think the 24 bit streamed USB from Msoft will be coming soon...

It is just a guess, and by soon a year or two, but still it would be quite easy to do as far as I understand.

And then of course, WOOHOO the 24 bit USB DACs will be out, and you can bet I'll have a handful
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: After doing some reading, there are 24 bit USB DACs available, but they come with there own 24 bit USB drivers, as they must because windows doesn't support that yet...

hotaudio40

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #188 of 771
For what it's worth, the five PCM 27xx DACs are directly compared in this Texas Instruments table. I see that the 2702 has a 7dB better signal-to-noise ratio.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #189 of 771
I think usb 2.0 supports 24bit. I could be wrong.

Have you tested any of the Cirrus Logic chips?

I see the CS4398 support 24bit and on paper might be superior to TI PCM270x. But paper vs world doesn't go hand in hand i guess.

If you feel like it Dave, maybe you would post some photos of any secret creation, production line, "testing area", etc. It would be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #190 of 771
If I showed you "secret creations" then they wouldn't be secrets now would they
smily_headphones1.gif

I have NOT tried any CS chips yet, but am looking at them intensely....

I've been stuck on BURR BROWN products ever since I heard the OPA series of op-amps.

That and the fact that I have no digital output devices and I listen to all my music from the PC so USB just seems to be the most favorable choice.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #191 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I showed you "secret creations" then they wouldn't be secrets now would they
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe, true indeed
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #192 of 771
any recommendations for an amp & dac for an akg k240 sextett? they could be a combined or separate. im looking to get a pair of the sextetts, but thought it would be nice to have a setup at home first.

currently only have er6i and ksc75, but looking to upgrade soon.

thanks!!

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #193 of 771
gjsi,
Good question about the Sextett. That's 600 ohms; the HotAudio amps are said to be good to drive loads as high as 300 ohms. But maybe Dave is being conservative.

Today at work I received a Yamaha YST-SW315 subwoofer (10-inch driver, 150W). I had misunderstood its outputs: I thought it had line outs, when in fact it has only speaker outs. I need line outs to feed my M-Audio StudioPro 3 main speakers.

My dilemma was solved by the HotAudio Mark IV. (I had brought it in from home, anticipating that it might be needed.) Thanks to its twin output jacks--RCA L+R jacks and a stereo minijack--I was able to connect to the main speakers and subwoofer at the same time. Presto!

I realize it's not as "pure" a solution as letting the sub feed the mids and highs to the main speakers, but it works just fine.

When I need to use headphones, I'll just disconnect the subwoofer cable from the Mark IV's minijack and plug my AKG headphone cable in its place.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #194 of 771
thanks a lot paul!

so is it safe to say that the hotaudio's 40 mark IV is the most versatile audio equipment hes offering?

maybe i should wait for him to confirm that they can power something like the sextetts before i get them.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #195 of 771
gjsi:

If you write to Dave directly, you'll know immediately. You can even phone him. Whatta guy.

He's here:
HotAudio.Com
1-209-207-7915
hotaudio40@hotmail.com

That info is all listed on his store webpage here:
HotAudio.Com, Hand Crafted Audio Perfection.

Just so y'all don't lose patience with me, I'm sure that everything I've just stuck in here is listed somewhere in this thread but gjsi might have missed it. Good luck!
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back