hotaudio40 's amps
Aug 29, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #586 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by zynexiatech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone recommend which one of hotaudio40's amps would be suitable for my sennheiser HD595's ideally powered via battery or USB as ill mainly have it hooked up via usb from my laptop or xbox 360.

Welcome.

There's not a one of them that is not suitable. So you can take your pick.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #587 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome.

There's not a one of them that is not suitable. So you can take your pick.

Right ok then I need one that has a volume control and ideally phono inputs although thats not to much of a necessity as I can get a phono to 3.5mm cable for the input.

I was looking at the BIT PERFECT USB DAC but Dave replied to me on ebay and said that it wont work with the xbox 360 usb ports. I have replied back asking what he would recommend me as really this will be my main use but ill also use it on my laptop to power the HD595's, unless the DAC could be powered via a AC USB adapter of some sort? or am I getting all confused! I am new to all this.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #588 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by zynexiatech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right ok then I need one that has a volume control and ideally phono inputs although thats not to much of a necessity as I can get a phono to 3.5mm cable for the input.

I was looking at the BIT PERFECT USB DAC but Dave replied to me on ebay and said that it wont work with the xbox 360 usb ports. I have replied back asking what he would recommend me as really this will be my main use but ill also use it on my laptop to power the HD595's, unless the DAC could be powered via a AC USB adapter of some sort? or am I getting all confused! I am new to all this.

I used to own the Bit Perfect. It has a volume control (potentiometer), and it connects and is powered by USB. It outputs to a 1/8" headphone jack or a pair of RCA jacks. It would connect to a USB port on your laptop and work fine.

It probably won't work with Xbox because Xbox would need a USB port and a compatible operating system, which it probably doesn't have.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #589 of 771
Quote:

I used to own the Bit Perfect. It has a volume control (potentiometer), and it connects and is powered by USB. It outputs to a 1/8" headphone jack or a pair of RCA jacks. It would connect to a USB port on your laptop and work fine.

It probably won't work with Xbox because Xbox would need a USB port and a compatible operating system, which it probably doesn't have.

Cheers 1Time so I am guessing none of the DACs will work with my xbox 360 and also they cannot be powered via a USB power adapter? If this is the case I will have to go for either the ICEHEAD or THUNDERBOLT headphone amplifiers, will these still go well with the Senn HD595's or can you recommend something else at a similar price range.

Cheers.

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #590 of 771
for my home stereo system I am still using the hotaudio DAC Destroyer. works pretty fine, especially at the price I payed for it.

having this initial good experience, I've ordered another device by hotaudio, this time it was a DAC/Amp combo: the Bit Perfect. the price was indeed very low, since I was a returning customer, but it had a bad flaw which I couldn't tolerate (the volume button did a weird noise when I was turning volume up/down). the other problem was that even if I had easy to drive cans, I found the volume at maxed out level not sufficient for me (no separate power for amplification, but only the one from the USB)...
so I decided to change, and I went for the new D2+ iBasso. that was when I realized that they are in 2 different leagues regarding the produced sound.

anyway, I think the hotaudio products are OK for a first contact with the DAC(/Amp) scene - especially since you can get good prices.

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #591 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by az2123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anybody notice the insane sale they're having right now? Right now, I'm having trouble deciding between the DAC Destroyer ($69 on sale, originally $129) and the DAC Straight ($105 on sale, originally $249).
My setup will be Laptop -> DAC (either Destroyer or Straight) -> X-Can V2 -> SR225i.
They both have line level RCA outputs (I believe), so it's just a question of whether the extra $35 is worth it in my setup. Has anybody heard both and can offer a direct comparison?

YUP!They are having a great sale going on now!I'm just researching their DACs and deciding if which one to buy.

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #592 of 771
I'm assuming most of his DACs have a true line out.When i had my D2 it had a fantastic DAC.I'm wondering how they compare to the D2.
popcorn.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #593 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by eXelero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for my home stereo system I am still using the hotaudio DAC Destroyer. works pretty fine, especially at the price I payed for it.

having this initial good experience, I've ordered another device by hotaudio, this time it was a DAC/Amp combo: the Bit Perfect. the price was indeed very low, since I was a returning customer, but it had a bad flaw which I couldn't tolerate (the volume button did a weird noise when I was turning volume up/down). the other problem was that even if I had easy to drive cans, I found the volume at maxed out level not sufficient for me (no separate power for amplification, but only the one from the USB)...
so I decided to change, and I went for the new D2+ iBasso. that was when I realized that they are in 2 different leagues regarding the produced sound.

anyway, I think the hotaudio products are OK for a first contact with the DAC(/Amp) scene - especially since you can get good prices.

Can you elaborate on "they are in 2 different leagues"?

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #594 of 771
Hello everyone, I'm having a problem. I've had my Hotusb1 now for over a year and it has worked great up until recently. Just last week I started getting massive amounts of digital noise through the unit whenever I would move or click the mouse, or even when web pages were loading. I Emailed Dave and he said that it was probably just computer noise. My question is; do any of you have any suggestions on how to go about fixing this problem, it's really quite frustrating and annoying. Thanks for the help.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #595 of 771
Simple. You hook the HotUSB1 up to another PC to see whether you get the same problem or not. It's either your PC or the HotUSB1. If the later, deal with Dave. Then be sure to post the results back here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaserWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone, I'm having a problem. I've had my Hotusb1 now for over a year and it has worked great up until recently. Just last week I started getting massive amounts of digital noise through the unit whenever I would move or click the mouse, or even when web pages were loading. I Emailed Dave and he said that it was probably just computer noise. My question is; do any of you have any suggestions on how to go about fixing this problem, it's really quite frustrating and annoying. Thanks for the help.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #596 of 771
Quote:

Simple. You hook the HotUSB1 up to another PC to see whether you get the same problem or not. It's either your PC or the HotUSB1. If the later, deal with Dave. Then be sure to post the results back here.

+1 preferably to a laptop running on battery to eliminate AC as a source.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #597 of 771
Quote:

Coincidentally... This happened to another fellow about a week ago...

Same exact problem...

I told him it was a 'ground loop' problem.... and it turned out it was...

Now he solved his own problem by simply adding a "ground loop isolator"...

I had never heard of such a device ( and you'd think that I would have
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I found them on EVILBAY

GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR NOISE SUPPRESSOR HUM KILLER 201 - eBay (item 110425733664 end time Jan-15-10 12:44:14 PST)

They are cheap and effective, as it turns out, at destroying hum, and other noise asoiciated with "ground loop" issues....

The DAC is fine...

Grounds issues are very tough to trouble shoot...

Many factors can cause ground loop issues...

hotaudio40

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #598 of 771
So I just received the Thunderbolt MAX, and it's tiny! I have a question for Dave about double amping. Right now the chain is HotUSB1 --> Thunderbolt MAX --> AKG K702.

What volume should I set the computer to? When I use the volume keys on my mac, as expected, the volume increases, so should I leave it set at the lowest volume? I've found that if I do, to get good volume the amp has to turned way up and there is a noticeable flatness to the sound vs. a lower volume on the amp and the volume turned up on the mac.

If I set the mac to just one bar of volume, the amp simply can't amplify the signal enough even turned all the way to the right. I know the K702s are very demanding on the amp, so is it a case of the double amping being required with this setup?

One thing I should mention, this amp really made my HD555s sing even though they sound just great out of most sources.

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #600 of 771
Quote:

Simple. You hook the HotUSB1 up to another PC to see whether you get the same problem or not.

I just had my roommate hook it up to his laptop which is also running windows 7 and there wasn't any issues at all. The only thing I've changed in my laptop since I got this is I put in 4 Gigs of ram in November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back