Hornet
Nov 8, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #31 of 63
As I (and many others) have mentioned before, a good amp does FAR more than increase the available volume.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
I have the ue5 supers and they have a very high sensativity that did not lend itself to amping to me. While you get some improvement from bypassing the ipod weak headphone out/bass issue you already compensated with the Cs as they are bass heavy. YMMV

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
As I (and many others) have mentioned before, a good amp does FAR more than increase the available volume.

Like what?

What is an amp supposed to do? Like a mixing studio in a box?

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #33 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennheiser
Like what?

Makes the sound more dynamic.

Nov 9, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Like what?

An amp is supposed to increase the fidelity of the sound-- i.e. clarity, detail, separation, resolution, soundstage. An amp that is not transparent also changes the tonal characteristic by introducing more/less bass or treble, or changing the midrange as to make them more forward sounding or distant. Tonal changes also affects accuracy-- the way an instrument is supposed to sound v.s. how you're hearing it. Anyway, my observation is that a lot of people evaluate amps by their tonal characteristic rather than fidelity because it's easiest to tell the difference and its effects are obvious.

Nov 9, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #35 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Makes the sound more dynamic.

An amp is only supposed to amplify the source signal. In no way can an amp make the source signal more "dynamic," that is not the function of an amp, that is the function of that DSP button on your receiver.

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

An amp is only supposed to amplify the source signal. In no way can an amp make the source signal more "dynamic," that is not the function of an amp, that is the function of that DSP button on your receiver.

I never said it makes the source sound more dynamic.

I said it makes the sound more dynamic.

The sound will be more dynamic (and everything that atx mentioned) by providing better drive to your headphones. This can be done by increased current output, voltage swing, whatever. The end result is a better sound, with the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Let's see, first you ask what an amp does, then three hours later, you berate a reply, and LECTURE on the subject?
confused.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #38 of 63
Hey, give Sennheiser a break. Can't you be a little sensitive and try to understand he's a little lost in a world without Grado? What's really funny is he still tried to buy a certain someone's Hornet after the guy made a formal apology to Ray Samuels and withdrew the sale...

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
What's really funny is he still tried to buy a certain someone's Hornet after the guy made a formal apology to Ray Samuels and withdrew the sale...

And your point is? People change their minds about sales, purchases, all the time. For my recent amp sales, I had a couple of offers that were made and then rescinded.

And why does a buyer need to make a FORMAL apology to a manufacturer? The buyer either likes the sound or he does not like the sound. End of story. The buyer is the ultimate judge of what he likes. The buyer does not need to justify his preferences, nor is he required to make a formal apology to the manufacturer if the buyer does not like that particular manufacturer's product.

This is like asking a buyer of a spanking new Ford SUV, the buyer finds out he doesn't like this Ford. And then under pressure (from god knows where), he sends out a letter to Ford, formally apologizing for his not liking the Ford. How ridiculous is this?

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #42 of 63
Forgot to add what I was replying to:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<And why does a buyer need to make a FORMAL apology to a manufacturer? The buyer either likes the sound or he does not like the sound. End of story. The buyer is the ultimate judge of what he likes. The buyer does not need to justify his preferences, nor is he required to make a formal apology to the manufacturer if the buyer does not like that particular manufacturer's product.

This is like asking a buyer of a spanking new Ford SUV, the buyer finds out he doesn't like this Ford. And then under pressure (from god knows where), he sends out a letter to Ford, formally apologizing for his not liking the Ford. How ridiculous is this?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree, there is, at some level, some ridiculousness involved. However, he went on a first impression without allowing the Hornet the time it needed to burn in, then made a hastey decision to sell. As you can see, even someone totally new to this board like myself pays attention to matters such as these, and if I saw the guy who first bought the Hornet selling it immediately after, I would have to wonder about the quality of the product. An apology was not required, but was certainly appropriate for the sake of respect and cordiality.

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #43 of 63
A buyer doesn't like a product, he decides to sell the product.

Now because he dediced to sell the product that he doesn't like, he has to make an apology to the manufactuer?

I buy and return electronics to Bestbuy, Circuitycity, all the time (well not all the time, but often enough). So that means I need to write a letter of apology to each and everyone of those manufactuers?!

Let's see, I have recently purchased and returned:

1) A Sony portable CD player. Returned after a couple of days.
2) A Sony widescreen TV. Returned after a couple of days.
3) Some Monster Cable cables. Returned after a couple of days.

I guess I didn't allot enough "burn in" time for those products. And now I owe each and everyone of those manufacturers a letter of apology.

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #44 of 63
just as a culture thing btw, most offers occur in private messages, and publicly they put YGPM. that way offers don't get criticized, like yours did. just a note so you don't get hassled in the future, so both the buyer and seller's motivations don't get put to task.

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

A buyer doesn't like a product, he decides to sell the product.

Now because he dediced to sell the product that he doesn't like, he has to make an apology to the manufactuer?

I buy and return electronics to Bestbuy, Circuitycity, all the time (well not all the time, but often enough). So that means I need to write a letter of apology to each and everyone of those manufactuers?!

Let's see, I have dealt with Polk, Infinity, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, etc. I guess I better use a template for that apology letter.

the difference being, we have direct contact with the owner/manufacturer of the product, who is a member and contributer to this forum. this owner has personally done a lot to help members in this community and shows up to many head-fi meets. most people around here view people like ray as a person and not just another company, so i certainly understand why there was an apology. now, i don't know whether or not the apology was necessary, but it was a nice gesture. the next time the president/CEO of BB or CC or Polk or Sony decides to visit this forum, engage with the community, show up to meets, and financially support this site, i will personally offer my apologies for all the times i criticized their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back