Hornet and Tomahawk
Feb 16, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #61 of 89
Also you have to realize that the Xenos is a very different design. It has a very high current output stage for a portable amp, that is powered with 24V in total, as such has all the voltage and current to drive any headphone between 16 and 600 ohms with any efficiency rating. The Hornet on the other hand is mainly meant for portable and efficient headphones, has a limited supply voltage, and relatively limited maximum current output compared to the Xenos. I wouldn't wonder if it'd really sound better with IEMs but that's not my concern.

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #62 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by supermite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also you have to realize that the Xenos is a very different design. It has a very high current output stage for a portable amp, that is powered with 24V in total, as such has all the voltage and current to drive any headphone between 16 and 600 ohms with any efficiency rating. The Hornet on the other hand is mainly meant for portable and efficient headphones, has a limited supply voltage, and relatively limited maximum current output compared to the Xenos. I wouldn't wonder if it'd really sound better with IEMs but that's not my concern.

Actually, the Hornet can drive most headphones. It even has a gain switch (which the Xenos lacks), so you can switch b/t different ohm headphones while maintaining a completely black noise floor. I for one, can say it drives my 300 ohm HD650's with PLENTY of room to spare.

Honestly, if you're planning on buying this amp solely for the K701s, I'd start looking into tube amps. I'm not sure a portable would be the way to go for those headphones.

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #63 of 89
I'm pretty sure a GoVibe V5s (high gain) running off a 24V Elpac would drive 600 ohm phones effeciently also, but... neither you or I would buy one (??)
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #64 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the Hornet can most headphones. It even has a gain switch (which the Xenos lacks), so you can switch b/t different ohm headphones while maintaining a completely black noise floor. I for one, can say it drives my 300 ohm HD650's with PLENTY of room to spare.

Honestly, if you're planning on buying this amp solely for the K701s, I'd start looking into tube amps. I'm not sure a portable would be the way to go for those headphones.

Yeah, me too. But in the Xenos thread they say it drives them with truly concincing results. The problem is that there seems to be little or no alternative unless you're willing to pay more.

Btw the HD650 is not such a demanding headphone. Proof be that even a portable CD player driver is able to drive it without lack of volume. It is much more demanding when it comes to driving it with the same dynamic expression a home headphone amp can inject into it. That is the hard part!

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #65 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure a GoVibe V5s (high gain) running off a 24V Elpac would drive 600 ohm phones effeciently also, but... neither you or I would buy one (??)
tongue.gif

Yes but how about the body, dynamics, and tangibleness of sounds, and I'm not just saying bass notes? Based on my personal experiences I'm doubtful that any op-amp could emulate what a good pair of transistors per channel can do for these aspects. Of course your mileage may vary as to their importance. And finally the headphones can greatly affect the whole story, that's why I said IEMs are no truthful revelators.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #66 of 89
for clarification, i do believe that the Xenos 1HA series amp does have a gain switch. a 10db gain IIRC. like supermite, i have doing some homework on porty amps in the hope of getting 1 soon. just waiting mrarroyo final impression.

as for the hiss issue, its kinda confusing as its all over the map on the Xenos 1HA thread. FWIW alberto of Xenos has a post on this at the manufacturers corner.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #67 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for clarification, i do believe that the Xenos 1HA series amp does have a gain switch. a 10db gain IIRC.

Actually, I think you may be right about the 1HA. Its the older models that don't have it.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #68 of 89
Quote:

Btw the HD650 is not such a demanding headphone. Proof be that even a portable CD player driver is able to drive it without lack of volume. It is much more demanding when it comes to driving it with the same dynamic expression a home headphone amp can inject into it. That is the hard part!

Agreed. Which is why I wouldn't use a portable for the K701s. I'm not sure if anyone has combo-ed a K701 with the MicroTube, LD2++ or Darkvoice, but those are cheap alternatives that would cost the same if not less than a Xenos or Hornet. Being homeamp/tubes...I would think they would be a better option for you.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

Agreed. Which is why I wouldn't use a portable for the K701s. I'm not sure if anyone has combo-ed a K701 with the MicroTube, LD2++ or Darkvoice, but those are cheap alternatives that would cost the same if not less than a Xenos or Hornet. Being homeamp/tubes...I would think they would be a better option for you.

And there lies my point. The Xenos is unique among portable amps, being as it is that it has power supplies and output stage to match, even surpass in some department a home headphone amp.

But yes, I did give a close look to the Little Dot MT. Problem is that I don't like tubes as I find them impratical compared to transistors. I want good sound always ready to go, and without worrying how long it'll last
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #70 of 89
Quote:

The Xenos is unique among portable amps, being as it is that it has power supplies and output stage to match, even surpass in some department a home headphone amp.

While the power supply might be fine, I highly doubt a Xenos is better than home amps in SQ (which is what matters in the end). Atleast thats what I gathered from the reviews.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #71 of 89
Quote:

While the power supply might be fine, I highly doubt a Xenos is better than home amps in SQ (which is what matters in the end). Atleast thats what I gathered from the reviews.

X2 ... Xenos doesn't compare in SQ to a Heed, Opera, even an Aria.... nonono!

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #73 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure a GoVibe V5s (high gain) running off a 24V Elpac would drive 600 ohm phones effeciently also

Ive had the GV5-s for a while now, and its been a great first Prt'Amp.
I wanted to jump straight into the dr.samuels joy-ride, but it seemed ridiculous at first..
icon10.gif
blink.gif

I'll Buy Kai's original hornet if he still has it(next pay-check)Riff-raff.
And im sure I'll need the tomahawk someday soonish.

To the point My GV5 struggles to give the K701's what they need, even with the (mascot), europe elpac.

but the Rs-1's shine as per usual, at no more than 11'o'clock.
Another thing that scares me but also keeps me going is how Brill the K701's
sound through my portable sony DVP-F5, optical out,sony STR-DE475.

All old gear i got ages ago when i got the big tv and surround.
.......Fears the B-52..
its all expense dammit.

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #74 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive had the GV5-s for a while now, and its been a great first Prt'Amp.
I wanted to jump straight into the dr.samuels joy-ride, but it seemed ridiculous at first..
icon10.gif
blink.gif

I'll Buy Kai's original hornet if he still has it(next pay-check)Riff-raff.
And im sure I'll need the tomahawk someday soonish.

To the point My GV5 struggles to give the K701's what they need, even with the (mascot), europe elpac.

but the Rs-1's shine as per usual, at no more than 11'o'clock.
Another thing that scares me but also keeps me going is how Brill the K701's
sound through my portable sony DVP-F5, optical out,sony STR-DE475.

All old gear i got ages ago when i got the big tv and surround.
.......Fears the B-52..
its all expense dammit.

Wow! That's sad, I was really rooting for the lil bugger and it's elpac! *sigh* oh well, time to continue burning in me hornet!
biggrin.gif
380 hours so far!!

Well, I'm assuming you're using the high gain version? Maybe it is time to put in that call to mr. Samuels..

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #75 of 89
Quote:

IIRC dw6928 said in his first, or one of his first posts in the Xenos 1HA-EPC thread that it is better than the Headfive
smily_headphones1.gif

...which retailed for the same $

So I guess that poses the question of "why did the Headfive suck so much as to get a beat down from a portable?"
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back