Hornet and Tomahawk
Feb 9, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're planning to use the amp as a desk amp and have only minimal use traveling, or plan on driving higher ohm fullsized cans...Get the Hornet. Having it plugged in = never worry about batteries...ever.

If you're only planning on using it to travel and never use it with fullsized cans, get the Tomahawk strictly for portability and long battery life.

I can see what you're saying but from what I've read the two are still pretty similar. The size of the Hornet seems to make it portable enough, and it's battery life, while not as jaw dropping as the TH, is by far good enough. Flip it around, the Hornet may exceed the TH for driving full sized cans but the TH can do that quite well too.

I think what confuses me is that the Hornet is the latest offering (I think) and yet it doesn't appear to distance itself dramatically from the TH. In fact, I see lots of posters gushing over their TH. It's just not what I expected to learn after researching the two, but it's been entertaining.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 89
i'm a bit a newb to this, but if you can line out the ipod, why can't you bypass the battery rig it to run off of AA's?

my iriver (ifp-799) has about 30+ hours. and when it dies, i always have a fresh AA.

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see what you're saying but from what I've read the two are still pretty similar. The size of the Hornet seems to make it portable enough, and it's battery life, while not as jaw dropping as the TH, is by far good enough. Flip it around, the Hornet may exceed the TH for driving full sized cans but the TH can do that quite well too.

I think what confuses me is that the Hornet is the latest offering (I think) and yet it doesn't appear to distance itself dramatically from the TH. In fact, I see lots of posters gushing over their TH. It's just not what I expected to learn after researching the two, but it's been entertaining.

Actually, the Tomahawk is the latest offering (along with the B52). The original Hornet prototype appeared at meets nearly 2 years ago. The production version was released some time after that, and went through a couple of revisions to reach its current configuration and sound.

I've described some of the basic sonic differences above. Different folks have different sonic preferences and feature prefs, which determines which one they gush over.

I choose one or the other depending on my mood/need of the moment.

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the Tomahawk is the latest offering (along with the B52). The original Hornet prototype appeared at meets nearly 2 years ago. The production version was released some time after that, and went through a couple of revisions to reach its current configuration and sound.

Ahh, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Quote:

I choose one or the other depending on my mood/need of the moment.

Ha. What makes me odd (around here) is that I was thinking of just getting one. I think you're more like everyone else with having both!

I'll keep lurking and reading impressions. I think I may get some IEM or cans first. Thanks to all for the comments.

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #20 of 89
Hi pretzelb,

Yes, it was too difficult to choose between the two. So, I am fortunate enough to be able to buy both! My TH has 500+ hours burn-in and Hornet has only 60+ hours to date!
etysmile.gif

cansman

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 89
I refuse to believe that Ray would undercut the Hornet with the TH... if that's the case then that was a serious faux pas!! And I paid 90 bucks more than I should have!
600smile.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #22 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I refuse to believe that Ray would undercut the Hornet with the TH... if that's the case then that was a serious faux pas!! And I paid 90 bucks more than I should have!
600smile.gif

How long have you had it? If about 30 days contact Ray, chances are you could exchange it for a Tomahawk.

I still prefer the sound of The Hornet because it is punchier, and the bass sounds deeper.

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #24 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long have you had it? If about 30 days contact Ray, chances are you could exchange it for a Tomahawk.

I still prefer the sound of The Hornet because it is punchier, and the bass sounds deeper.

I need more bass. I like bass. Are the lithium batteries he mentions that offer very nice battery life expensive? How do they recharge? I could live with 50 or 60 hours(or roughly that...forget exactly what he said on his website)

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #25 of 89
Lithium charges, but not internally
And rechargable ones probably lasts about half that

With ES2, i prefer the hornet to the tomahawk.. it just has that magic together

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #26 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Ha. What makes me odd (around here) is that I was thinking of just getting one. I think you're more like everyone else with having both!

I'll keep lurking and reading impressions. I think I may get some IEM or cans first. Thanks to all for the comments.

Nothing wrong with getting just one. Lots of folks do just that.

I think the best way to decide is to go to a local meet or mini-meet(s) and listen to fully "burned-in" Hornet and Tomahawk. Simply listen and decide which sound makes you happier, weight the sound against features (if the different features are a consideration) and then choose.

Searching for threads and posts about both amps wiill give you hints at what they sound like, but you must ultimately trust your ears.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #27 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need more bass. I like bass. Are the lithium batteries he mentions that offer very nice battery life expensive? How do they recharge? I could live with 50 or 60 hours(or roughly that...forget exactly what he said on his website)

Rechargeable Lithium batteries do NOT seem to work with the Hornet. The Ultralife 1200mAh (disposable) Lithium Ion 9V battery will give you lots of hours with the Hornet and cost roughly $5 to $6 each online (I've seen a few bulk deals for around $4.70 each).

Of course you must not charge anything but rechargeable NiMH 9V batteries in the Hornet. I choose not to use any disposable 9V batteries or rechargeable Lithium-Polymer 9V batteries to avoid any chance of accidentally plugging in the adapter/charger with the wrong batteries in the amp, possibly having batteries leak, burn or explode — and risk destroying the amp.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #28 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rechargeable Lithium batteries do NOT seem to work with the Hornet. The Ultralife 1200mAh (disposable) Lithium Ion 9V battery will give you lots of hours with the Hornet and cost roughly $5 to $6 each online (I've seen a few bulk deals for around $4.70 each).

Of course you must not charge anything but rechargeable NiMH 9V batteries in the Hornet. I choose not to use any disposable 9V batteries or rechargeable Lithium-Polymer 9V batteries to avoid any chance of accidentally plugging in the adapter/charger with the wrong batteries in the amp, possibly having batteries leak, burn or explode — and risk destroying the amp.

Great advice on the batteries.

When trying to decide between the Hornet and Tomahawk, I think it is really important to think long and hard about how you will be using the amp.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #30 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question, when you use the hornet as a home amp (plugged in with the wall wart) does the sound change significantly (like the go-vibe)?

I have not noticed a difference when plugged in vs not plugged in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Go-Vibe can't recharge the battery...aka it pulls power directly from the wall wart when plugged in. Whereas, the Hornet M recharges the battery and pulls power from the battery even when plugged in. I have not and do not plan on plugging my Hornet in without a battery inside, but I'd guess it wouldn't work...I could be wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back