Hornet and Tomahawk
Feb 15, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #46 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been lurking about and reading a few old-ish threads on the TH and Hornet and I'm kind of confused as to why a person would buy one over the other. I even read a review that had included both but I still wasn't sure what the difference was between the two, besides size. Is the size really the main selling point for the Hornet? It's probably a dumb question but it seems like the two are so similar it's hard for me to see what draws a buyer to one over the other.

The Tomahawk fits in smaller pockets.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I have no clue what would be a better choice for driving a K701 at home exclusively.

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #47 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by animaal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use the Hornet while charging the battery, it takes longer to charge. So my guess would be that the Hornet always draws power from the battery.

That makes a lot of sense!

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #48 of 89
Quote:

If you use the Hornet while charging the battery, it takes longer to charge. So my guess would be that the Hornet always draws power from the battery.

That was my theory too...but Ray came in here saying it would work if its just plugged in with no battery. So, there may be 2 circuits.

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #49 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was my theory too...but Ray came in here saying it would work if its just plugged in with no battery. So, there may be 2 circuits.

That's make some sense too!

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #50 of 89
Quote:

The Hornet draws power from both the battery & the adaptor/charger when being connected to the adaptor/charger. The adaptor/charger does not disconnect the battery from the Hornet when plugged in.
Ray Samuels

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #52 of 89
Thanks Ray for replying.

This is actually good news to me because I was concerned that with a battery inserted in the Hornet and plugged in with the adaptor/charger, the battery is completely bypassed and unused. This could possibly cause leaks over time. Now since I understand that it is also used, this should not occur at all.

Of course, since the battery is used while plugged in, the rechargeable cycles will certainly be shortened. But this is no big deal. The batteries are long-lasting, cheap and easily replaced!

As a bonus to me, I do think there is a very slight improvement in sound quality to use the battery and adaptor/charger together probably because the battery supply has less ripple and noise, as compared to using the adaptor/charger alone. But the difference is very small. Hats off to Ray for designing the Hornet so well that it is so quiet and has good noise rejection!

cansman

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #53 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Hornet draws power from both the battery & the adaptor/charger when being connected to the adaptor/charger. The adaptor/charger does not disconnect the battery from the Hornet when plugged in.
Ray Samuels

Doesn't this imply that the battery will be overcharged if you leave the AC adapter attached, as happens during desktop use?
blink.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #54 of 89
No, because the Hornet is designed to trickle charge the battery and stop charging when it is at capacity.

This is what I think. I will let Ray confirm this since it is his design
tongue.gif
!

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #55 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cansman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, because the Hornet is designed to trickle charge the battery and stop charging when it is at capacity.

Are you sure about that? I'm not aware of the presence of a trickle charger inside the Hornet. Please Ray help us!

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #56 of 89
This is what I love about head-fi; so much interesting information, verified by the very people who know most.

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #58 of 89
I asked Ray about this, regarding me burning in the unit by playing it 24/7 with the AC adaptor attached, it doesn't overcharge. But, I'm sure Ray will respond with a more appropiate answer.

I owned both the Hornet and Xenos, and to be honest, I would give the Hornet M the edge as far as weight, size, and sound... The Xenos is a fine amp also, but for it's size and weight (extra bulk), it should be (IMO) the BETTER amp. What really got to me was the HISS, using my E500s... Whereas the Hornet had a TOTALLY BLACK BACKGROUND.. which added to the enjoyment of the music! If you're not using IEMs, or you don't mind the constant HISS, pricewise the Xenos looks attractive, but also keep in mind that currently (even though it's a 3-4 year lifespan), you're stuck buying replacment batteries from ATP systems, since they have a proprietary connector for their batteries... I didn't want to be tied to them in that way also. Do a lot of research before making the decision, there's pros and cons on both sides.

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #59 of 89
I am one who thinks that IEMs are not "proper" headphones. In fact they're earphones you may say.
biggrin.gif

It's not just that, I'm fond of the traditional headphone typology and think that IEMs are an unnatural extension to it. Your E500 may pick up and "amplify" some very very very faint background hiss the Xenos has, but that doesn't mean that any traditional headphone would, at all. And I don't even think that a IEM is a truthful instrument for judging sound quality in absolute terms, surely it's not what I'm going to use
wink.gif

Finally I'm pretty sure that the Hornet has no sort of integrated recharger and that leaving the 9V battery always inside using DC power is a unhappy idea at least.

Long story short I'm almost convinced to get the Xenos 1HA-EPC for my K701.
340smile.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #60 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by supermite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am one who thinks that IEMs are not "proper" headphones. In fact they're earphones you may say.
biggrin.gif

It's not just that, I'm fond of the traditional headphone typology and think that IEMs are an unnatural extension to it. Your E500 may pick up and "amplify" some very very very faint background hiss the Xenos has, but that doesn't mean that any traditional headphone would, at all. And I don't even think that a IEM is a truthful instrument for judging sound quality in absolute terms, surely it's not what I'm going to use
wink.gif

Finally I'm pretty sure that the Hornet has no sort of integrated recharger and that leaving the 9V battery always inside using DC power is a unhappy idea at least.

Long story short I'm almost convinced to get the Xenos 1HA-EPC for my K701.
340smile.gif

Supermite, hmmmm... do I know you from somewhere???? 19.35 posts per day!!!?!?! WOW! LOL! How befitting my 666th post and it's to youuuu
wink.gif

Well first of all I wouldn't leave a 9v battery inside with the adaptor connected.. unless I need a nice flame to keep me warm!
tongue.gif
But, I do have options as far as power source, so that works for me.

The Xenos was a great sounding amp, pricewise it's very attractive. Depends on what your needs are, if you plan on sitting it on a desk permanently or using it as portable. Unfortunately I sold it before my headphones arrived... but after receiving the Hornet (and hearing how each sounds), I can say that I'm done with my 'portable' rig, as far as amps!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back