Hooking up a subwoofer to my M-Audio AV 40s
Jun 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

willryan042

Head-Fier
Hey guys

Quick question on how to add a sub to my setup. I have this interface:

and these speakers:

and I'm thinking about getting this sub:

How would I go about hooking the sub up? RCAs from my interface to the sub, and then speaker wire connecting the sub to my monitors? Also, I'm not totally set on that sub, just something around the $100 range (I'm looking at the PSW111 and Yamaha SW216BL too), so I'm definitely open for suggestions. Thanks for your help guys!

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 8
So right now you're using the RCA input to your speakers, right? I guess you can use the same for the sub if it has its own amp?

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Yeah the speakers are plugged into the RCA output jack on the interface. So you're saying I can hook the sub up to the RCA inputs on the interface? Assuming the sub is powered?

What I mean is to use the same RCA output from the interface to go into the speakers and the sub, assuming the sub is powered. The sub should have a low pass filter, usually does.
Something like this may work: http://www.amazon.com/Male-Female-Piggyback-Audio-Cable/dp/B000I98ZE6/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340076132&sr=1-11&keywords=rca+splitter

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 8
****, I didn't even know that cable existed! So the end with the male/female end plugs into the interface, other end plugs into speakers, separate rca cable connects sub to "piggy-back" end into the interface?

Thanks for all your help man.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Np. Give it a try, see if it works. I think the interface should be able to support it in terms of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back