Hong Kong meet
Jan 5, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #47 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody wants to hear the iRoc USB DAC? This is an item that I can offer.

The iRoc is a very capable USB DAC. If I understand correctly, it uses the USB receiver circuit from Empirical Audio which I would call one of the God Fathers (the other being Wavelength in my book) in USB audio.

I understand yours have been converted into battery powered ? If yes, I would be keen to see how it compares to the Valab NOS DAC, which I can bring along.

F. Lo

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #48 of 74
It's a pleasure to be invited and I am glad to hear Head-fiers in Hong Kong has a function undergoing. Too bad I will be out of town during the Chinese New Year's holiday.
confused_face.gif
confused_face.gif
confused_face.gif

Hey fkclo, seems like your rig has been improved a lot from the last time we met.
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #51 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iRoc is a very capable USB DAC. If I understand correctly, it uses the USB receiver circuit from Empirical Audio which I would call one of the God Fathers (the other being Wavelength in my book) in USB audio.

I understand yours have been converted into battery powered ? If yes, I would be keen to see how it compares to the Valab NOS DAC, which I can bring along.

F. Lo

Yeap, I am using a SLA battery to drive the iRoc. Will bring it there. I am thinking to built it a better power supply as well but not sure if it may meet the 31 Jan 2009 date.

Also, my Audiosector USB DAC has just been built and is under burning. I believe that it is NOS as well. May bring it along. Be warned, this item has no chassis so all of the caps and parts can be seen. However, no one should get electrified though. According to the designer of the DAC, the no chassis option is one of the sound-best configurations.

The WBT soldiering materials with 4% silver was used for this Audiosector USB DAC. So anyone has the stock one may have a comparison with this one as well.

Finally this DAC is relatively cheap (about 330 USD for the parts) compare to the iRoc used. It would be great if we may have more good and economical source alternatives. It seems to me that the Valab NOS DAC is another good and even more economical source. Can Francis/others confirm this?

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by zelo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey fkclo, seems like your rig has been improved a lot from the last time we met.
wink.gif

I just started to re-organise my rig. Hope to share some photos soon.

My rig is nothing compared to all we have read here
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #54 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Finally this DAC is relatively cheap (about 330 USD for the parts) compare to the iRoc used. It would be great if we may have more good and economical source alternatives. It seems to me that the Valab NOS DAC is another good and even more economical source. Can Francis/others confirm this?

The Valab NOS DAC is good. Mine does not yet receive the 1 ppm clock upgrade but it does sound impressive, especially considering the very humble price.

I have acquired a Chord QBD76 and feel that I prefer the Valab NOS DAC more than the USB implementation of the QBD76, which sticks to S/PDIF format.

F. Lo

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #55 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by zelo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose the date has not decided yet? 24th or 31st?

Given the range of responses I think the 31st would be best. I will take some pictures of the venue as soon as possible, to give everybody an idea. For now, I've edited the second post of this thread to give the location.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #58 of 74
Alright guys, pics of the place are up in the 2nd post along with transportation information.

I'm compiling the equipment list now, please let me know what changes if any need to be made. Thanks!

Dan

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #59 of 74
Thanks daggerlee for all your hard work. I've decided not to take my Cayin HA-1A...prob a bit too heavy...I will be taking:

Headphones:
AKG K270 playback

Amp:
Gilmore Lite with DPS

Source: Mhdt labs Havana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back