Homemade headphones!!
Jul 30, 2005 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Otaku11

Head-Fier
I was on hackaday.com the other day, and i stumbled opon cyanoacrys site ( a member of these forums) and i saw he had made some homemade phones, so i gave it a shot, i used some old pc speakers and some old headset walkie talkies. The sound is great, the only problem is the bass , which is a little weak ( there was a subwoofer on the amp board, i had to remove that to make it portable). I run 2 amps, the one that was inside the subwoofer housing ( which i converted to battery power by cutting off the adapter plug and attaching a 9 volt connector too it) the amp needs a housing , though, its wrapped in duct tape now. i also use a Boostaroo amp, it was all i had, so yeah. I coated the cables in tape, too, so they looked better. Another cool feature is a detachable, external, volume knob! Heres the pics!
IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 40
I wouldnt be able to do that even if i were 30. woe is me.
frown.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 40
dude you rule. at that age i could barely transform a GoBot.

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 40
that really wasnt hard at all, i know alot more about electronics than that . I dont meen to brag , but just so im not underestimated, i have done some sweet rc car mdifications, like making a zipzap go about 15-20 mph . I also have made portable speakers that are contained in a bag made 100% out of duct tape. ( yes i love duct tape) . Im not trying to be mean or anything, i just want you guys to take me seriusly. and also about the headphones,the problem is that there dorky looking, but im still gonna wear them in public ( its a geek thing).

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otaku11
I dont meen to brag ......

Well you failed on that one
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 40
lol, good stuff!

Jul 31, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 40
try making speakers out of an evian bottle. lol, i call it the funnel system. the funnel shape at the top sort of amplifies the sound.

Jul 31, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 40
I thought i might tag this on:
I think we should start building more homemade headphones, the reasons why are because its cheap, you can build them to your specific needs, and you can prolly build some right now, assuming you have some old pc speakers. Does anyone know where i can get cheap parts to build more ( prefferably the speakers would have built in amps)? I also think im gonna buy some cat5 from the shack to make new cables. The only problem is my soldering iron dissapeared!!!

Jul 31, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 40
lol, i dont know anysites that just sell speaker parts, but why not buy cheap portable speakers? buy some headphone pads form like, headroom or something, get some lids from big jars and make a beyer DT770 clone haha.

Jul 31, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 40
I suspect that old PC speakers wont meet the audiophile demands of most of the members around here

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 40
true, im just saying its possible, i wouldnt use them if they sounded bad, but by "old" i mean not in use. Also, the project wasnt intended to make a serious adiophile headphone ( although it could prolly contend with some of the bought phones). Some other good speaker sources are radios and anything else with built in speakers. If i had another mini plug, i could make another pair, i just need to stop by radioshack. Also, does anyone know where i can get some damping foam or the cushions they use on sterio style phones?

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 40
i guess buying a few KSC headphones and saving the drivers wouldnt be bad.

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
i guess buying a few KSC headphones and saving the drivers wouldnt be bad.

I was seriously considering making some custom jobs out of the KSC75s I had but I don't really have the money to play with possible dead-end expriments right now. It would have been fun though. I was going to make some full size cans out of em.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back