Homemade Foam Ear Tips for IEMs
Feb 25, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #226 of 244
If you do find some tubing that works, please post your source here, I'm looking too
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where I can get the tubing (to suit the standard sound nozzle for future sonics/shure/etymotic) in Sydney, Australia? or is anyone able to send me some tubing? I would be happy to paypal some $'s over for it, I think 1m would be plenty, I would like to make 20 pairs in one hit and I would be setup for a whole year I would think!

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #227 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Dick Smiths or Jaycar. They might have tubing that is used to sleeve wire.

I thought of wire sleeves too but thought they might be too soft to get the foam over it, but i might give it a go.

In the meantime, I am set with just a few pairs as I took the tubes out of my old Koss foamies, they are real nice and fit on the future sonics IEMs really well but ill keep looking for tubing as I want to make a whole heap in one go.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #228 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Dick Smiths or Jaycar. They might have tubing that is used to sleeve wire.

Sweet! I went to the jaycar website (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResu...p?FORM=KEYWORD) and they sell heatshrink tubing in a range of sizes (1.5mm, 2.5mm, 3mm) so im bound to find one that fits my IEM's stem.

I called them up and told them I don't want to shrink them, the guy was helpful and told me that they can work as normal tubing but they may lose shape after a while (eg if kept on the dashboard of a car under direct sun).

Its really cheap, about $1.50/metre so i might grab a few metres and that should keep me going for a while, even if I dont take the tubing out of the used earplugs and just use a fresh piece everytime I make the foamies.

Ill let you know how it goes! Ill post pics once ive made a bunch of em!

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #230 of 244
what is the size/specificatio nof the tubing used in shures and what not? Where can we find the tubing to use?

May 12, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #231 of 244
This is a great thread.  I was sweating re-ordering tips for my ER-6i's when I came across this.  I was on my 2nd set of tri-flanges and they were starting to come off in my ear.  I got the Howard Leight earplugs from CVS and did some experimentation.  Un-shrunk heat shrink tubing worked very well.  I don't recall the exact size, but it was a little snug to get on, but it's on good now.  Another source that worked was wiring insulation cut either from multi-strand cable (security system 4-core wire was good, a little thinner than cat-6 network cable) or 12 gauge speaker wire worked as well.  The 12gauge was a little thicker.  The heat-shrink was the thinnest.  I suppose I could make it fit even tighter by fitting it on to the earphone and shrinking it gently either with a hair dryer or the tip of a hot soldering iron (hold it NEAR the plastic, until you see the tube react, don't touch the iron to anything.)

I have large ear canals, so I found cutting off the tip of the earphone and leaving the fat end worked best for me.  I used small scissors to shape the new tip to be a little convex. 

Poking the hole was quite easy, the key is all on how you pancake the earphone, getting that right is 90% of the job.  Keep the plug from folding as you squish it.  You want it to bulge out in every direction and become barrel shaped, then flatten it and just find the center.  I used a push-pin followed by the blunt end of a 3/32" drill bit.  This did not rip the foam but created a just-wide enough channel.  Push the bit in from the front and then feed it from the back on to the tube.  Make sure the tube does not crease or fold over on itself either.  I tested the gripping and it was quite good, just make sure you keep your hole on the small side so it grips the tube forcefully when it expands.  That's key. 

The result is quite remarkable.  An amazingly comfortable seal.  Bass and music detail are greatly improved, as is the sense of isolation.  The Leights take a very long time to return to shape, maybe 30 seconds, so it helps to keep them pushed in my ear while they expand, but when the outside world goes silent, you know you have a good seal.  Wetting them slightly helps as well. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #232 of 244
Does anyone know if it's okay to use a soldering iron to make the holes if you're using "E-A-R Classic Soft" plugs? It worked on urethane plugs, but these are made of something else...

Also, isn't $1.99 a good price for 5 pairs of those E-A-R Classic Soft's?
It looks like 1 pair costs [size=x-small][size=x-small]$0.85 over at [/size][/size]http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/

If they're cheaper somewhere else, please tell me :p

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #233 of 244

Hi there!

Let me introduce myself first. I'm not an audiophile by any means. But when I buy something, I do it right. Certainly when it's a bigger investment like IEMs. When I was buying a bass guitar, I've done research on the internet for days. I'm always looking for the best "bang for the buck". So here I am, after a week of research. I've ordered the Brainwavz M2. Or actually the Chinese version, the ViSang R03, since it has a straight plug, and not a 45-degree plug (who's stupid idea was that? :p).

Why am I getting new IEMs? Well, my previous IEMs are broken. I used them as a lasso. Not a good idea. I got them with my mobile phone, the Samsung Nexus S, if anyone is familiar with it. Let me tell you something about the Samsung Nexus S. Not about how great it can make phone calls, but about how FREAKIN' AMAZING the sound quality is! Like I said, I'm not an audiophile. But it is good. Just like the Samsung Galaxy S, the Nexus S uses the Wolfson WM8994 DAC. According to a guy named "supercurio", that thing has a lot of potential. If you root your phone (something like jailbreaking, but with Android phones), you can use his improvement named VooDoo Sound. And it is amazing! 

More info about Voodoo Sound: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195

So I fell in love with the amazing sound quality of my smartphone. I don't think I will ever change phones again. How could I "just" buy mediocre IEMs with such amazing sound quality? I could not resist doing a lot of research. And the Brainwavz M2/ViSang R03 is perfect for me. I'm not a basshead, but I prefer a more "fun" sounding pair of earphones to more analytical earphones.

My quest for the ultimate sound continued. Well, not really ultimate, because I don't want to spend millions. I saw that you got a pair of foam ear tips with the ViSang R03. Foam ear tips? It opened a new world for me! I had no idea that there were different kind of ear tips, let alone that it would actually make a difference! I made the switch from "normal" earbuds to IEMs a long time ago. Never looked back. But foam ear tips? That was something new. So I did some research, again. The Comply foam ear tips seemed to be the best. I wasn't quite happy with the price though. Twenty dollar for some ear tips? While I paid only the double for the actual IEMs? And then I saw it! "http://www.head-fi.org/t/169789/homemade-foam-ear-tips-for-iems". Making your own ear tips from foam ear plugs? Cheap? Check! Awesome? Check! And that brought me here.

Damn, I talk a lot! Let's just move on to the questions. I found four types of ear plugs that I want to experiment with. The Hearos Ultimate Softness, the Howard Leight Max (or the Max Lite, since I have pretty small ear canals), the E-A-R Soft FX and the E-A-R Classic Soft.

1. I am buying the E-A-R Classic Soft because they are PVC foamies. I know that PU foamies will increase the bass, while PVC foamies will do that less. Are there any other differences between PVC and PU foam?
2. About the Hybrid ear tips that come with the ViSang R03/Brainwavz M2. What is so "hybrid" about them? The "tube" is supposed to be sturdier. Does that improve the sound, or is it only there so that the ear tips don't come off so often (it happened a lot with my previous IEMs)?
3. When looking at tubes for my homemade foam ear tips, should I look for PVC tubes (aquarium tubing), or silicone tubes, like the original ear tips have? Or does it not matter, as long as the fit is right?
4. Are there any other foam ear plugs I should look at?
5. What is the difference between the E-A-R Classic and the E-A-R Classic Soft ear plugs? They are both PVC, right (that's the only thing that really matters to me)?
6. Aren't those foam ear plugs supposed to be single-use only? For only a couple of cents I don't care about replacing them every once in a while, but I'm not going to make a new set of ear tips every day. How long can I use a set of those foam ear plugs? And can I wash them with some water? And does it really matter if you use them longer than advised? Do they only get dirty or does the quality actually become worse (does it loose its "memory" quality for example)?

I might have forgotten a question or two. I will ask them later if I remember then. Thank you for your time! I hope my English didn't bother you. I'm not a native speaker!

Greetings,
Androyed

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #234 of 244
Before ever searching online I decided to make my own foam ear tips using ear plugs. I tried drilling, no go. I tried a grinding stone on my dremel and that did not work. My last attempt worked flawlessly.

Sorry if this has been gone over already.

I used a telescoping antenna from an rc radio. it will come apart in sections and you can match a section to the size of your headphones. Simply squeeze it down into a coin shape like stated above already, center the section of antenna and hit it with a hammer. It will punch a hole through the foam earplugs perfectly each time.

I suggest doing this on a hard smooth surface you are not afraid to scratch up and hit it until it goes through and then just slide it on the surface to help the antenna cut the rest of the way through. I did not use a center tube and they work fine. I have no idea if this effects audio quality or not but I was thinking of trying heat shrink tubing for the center of mine but needed a way to glue them in place.

I hope this helps someone out and if it is already known I apologize for wasting your time.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #235 of 244
Quote:
Thanks for the photo tip afbug!

Photo is here:

P3300003.jpg

From left: (1) Hearos Super Soft (brown). The most comfortable, but too small for my large ear canal. I wasn’t able to get a very good seal, so I never trimmed them down. Center front, (2) E-A-R Classics (yellow)- full size on left and trimmed on right. You may be able to see what a little of the Super Glue did to the right tip- whitish area with foam hardening a little around the pore. Right front, (3) Stock foamies for iM716 (black). Professionally constructed. Very nice! Center back, (4) 3M 1100s (orange). These have been slightly trimmed (originally the same length as the Hearos). As you can see, they are getting a little dirty from being carried around in my briefcase. I also bored the pore a little larger on the tapered, ear side to see if it made a difference. It didn't. Back right, (5) the original iM716 tri-flanges that I removed the smallest flange from, now essentially bi-flanges, for comparison.

Have fun!

biggrin.gif

Nice pict here!

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #236 of 244
Quote:
More pics, different camera:

Howard Leight 'Max' plugs on Altec iM716.

Still some orangeish color issues, but closer to reality than the earlier drab-orange set of my last post.

Here is a link to the Howard Leight site where you can better see the color and tapered shape of these plugs: http://howardleight.com/products/products2.asp?id=4#

As you can see from the Howard Leight picture, the top 1/2 - 2/3 would be ideal for small to medium ear canals, whereas the bottom 1/2 - 2/3 for larger ear canals. Also, the length of mine in the picture can (and will, eventually) be trimmed down without loss of SQ.

I think the core, or midsection, of the plug is about the same size as most other plugs (E-A-R Classic, stock foamies, etc), if not smaller and softer, but the flange section at the end can really seal off the ear canal, even a large one. The tapered aspect, not unlike you ear canal, is probably similar to custom tips in that respect. Also because of the tapered size, it seals off without it feeling like you're jamming an ever expanding roll of tiolet paper into the smaller, deeper part of your ears. OK, OK. But I think those of us that use foamies understand that feeling.

These puppies are VERY comfy.

Increased comfort, increased seal, much improved SQ, and 99 cents for 10 pair on eBay ($3 incl shipping).

Life is good!

P4190011.jpg

P4190012.jpg

Nice picts!

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #237 of 244
Quote:
I tried 1/4" tubing from home depot but it's too tight on the E2C (they use a pretty big diameter shaft). Has anyone tried something that works for them?

Thanks.

Just remove (decore) the tube from a foamy tips!

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #238 of 244
I got some of the Orange plugs...like in an above post....

Borrowed ya pic mate....:)

Trimmed down the length and used the FAT end about 1cm long.......poked a hole with a small screw, than a larger one, than a drill bit by hand...

cleaned thm up real nice...

I cut the tube of a stock pair of silicone tips...

Attached the tube to the stem on phones, slipped on the foam....booya!!!!

Bass is slightly reduced...so I add EQ2 on Fiio E6....

Isolation is good and it provides more treble and takes some bass, mids are more balanced all with a flat EQ...
I realise that the isolation can be better as thats why bass has reduced.
I am gonna still try to improve thru more attempts at creating the best fit...

Comfort is thru the roof....I cant hardly feel them unlike the peas of stock tips....

Works for me!!!!!!!

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #239 of 244
Quote:
I got some of the Orange plugs...like in an above post....

Borrowed ya pic mate....:)

Trimmed down the length and used the FAT end about 1cm long.......poked a hole with a small screw, than a larger one, than a drill bit by hand...

cleaned thm up real nice...

I cut the tube of a stock pair of silicone tips...

Attached the tube to the stem on phones, slipped on the foam....booya!!!!

Bass is slightly reduced...so I add EQ2 on Fiio E6....

Isolation is good and it provides more treble and takes some bass, mids are more balanced all with a flat EQ...
I realise that the isolation can be better as thats why bass has reduced.
I am gonna still try to improve thru more attempts at creating the best fit...

Comfort is thru the roof....I cant hardly feel them unlike the peas of stock tips....

Works for me!!!!!!!

TOO much works here!  Why  make your life so complicated? Why dont make simple, and using Earportz silicone tips instead? or using Sony hyb. (mod) tips instead?

Anyways, if YOU love there sound signature is fine to! 

Continu your good works!

wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #240 of 244
I must have one ear bigger than the other...coz my left is hard to get good seal AT ALL!!!!
Not as good as my right anyway...

Those Earportz look great....might have to try them...
I have gone back to stock tips as i get a better seal in the left with them...
Still waiting for Comply's from USA..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back