Homemade Foam Ear Tips for IEMs
Dec 22, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #166 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigDee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....First off, the freezing method sucks. I tried doing that for the first two weeks or so that I had my E4's and it doesn't work good at all. It makes the texture not right. When I say texture I mean they get too soft, and expand too easy. Its because of the water. When you put these things in water they are ruined. Btw I'm talking about the Howard Leight Max (NRR 33). Freezing is pointless. ...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm................

I'm surprised about the freezing problems. This freezing method has been working fine for me for more than 30 pairs of various foamies. I haven't noticed the change in texture you mentioned. They do take a good day or two to completely dry (with occasional blotting with a paper towel) after making them. If they are still wet, yes they suck. They feel like a sponge.

Anyway, the point is really that you have a method you like and works. Doing away with the tubing seems like a big plus too.

Thanks for the pics.

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays!

Dec 24, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #167 of 244
I was out of town for a couple of days and found some clones of the Howard Leigh red hots. What a deal! No difference from the name brand and the Kroger brand as far as usefulness in this case. The price? $1 for 3 pairs. I stocked up with 3 packs of 'em.

On another note, I am giving my ears a break from the Urethane ones since they seem to irritate them a bit. I just got back to using the E.A.R. clones that I also got for less than a dollar. I think they are much more user friendly and easier to work with, and just as comfortable the way I make them. The only difference is the sound, but after living with the stock foamies for 2 months before I went DIY the difference is negligable.

^^^ the freezing method works fine. You just have to let them sit and dry out on a paper towel for a couple of days. The reason for the paper towel is so the moisture from the plug isn't re-absorbed.

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #168 of 244
Yeah I guess it does work if you let it dry for a couple of days. I was using them not to soon after they were done being frozen so the bout time they got dried out it was already time for some new ones.

The freezing method may work, but I stand strong when I say it really serves no benefit. I might need more pics to illustrate or maybe even a video. Taking the earplugs out of the package and using scissors to cut them right then and a pen to poke a whole through it is more than adequate. I'm not rly trying to put down your method, just stating facts here from my experience and reason.

Jan 4, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #170 of 244
Just picked up some Hearos from Duane Reade. I couldn't wait for the tubing and leather punch so I just trimmed them down with a scissor, poked a hole, stretched it out, then squeezed them on my ER4s.

11678742862.jpg

11678750382.jpg

(my left ear canal is slightly smaller)

So far, all I can tell is more bass, less clarity, and alot more comfort. Pretty good, but I'm still gonna try to get some tubing, hole puncher, and possibly some large yellow foamies.

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #171 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatdave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked up some Hearos from Duane Reade. I couldn't wait for the tubing and leather punch so I just trimmed them down with a scissor, poked a hole, stretched it out, then squeezed them on my ER4s.

So far, all I can tell is more bass, less clarity, and alot more comfort. Pretty good, but I'm still gonna try to get some tubing, hole puncher, and possibly some large yellow foamies.

Cool!

As for the clarity part- are you SURE that it is not just an artifact of having a better-balanced freq response?

The highs shoot straight from the driver into your ear and the very short wavelength should not be affected by the foamies. The low-mids and bass are another story and are very dependent upon seal and leakage (composition).

Try this- Take the foamies off and hold the drivers (sans any kind of earplug sealing device) in your ear. Sounds a bit tinny, etched. There are not more highs, or crappier highs, there is just no balance with the rest of the range. Same thing if you run your 2-way or 3-way speaker system with only tweeters.

Thanks for the input and the pics with the Etys!

Happy New Year.

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #172 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ the freezing method works fine. You just have to let them sit and dry out on a paper towel for a couple of days. The reason for the paper towel is so the moisture from the plug isn't re-absorbed.

Exact-a-mundo Ace!

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #173 of 244
1. NEver worn foamies, as I just got a pair of Shure E2c with the small clear silicone flex. It seems to seal fine, sometimes. Would the modifications herein work with the E2C's as most of you talk about the E4's?

2. I have a CVS I think, so I can look for the Howard Leights, whatever they have. DO I need tubing?

3. Anybody make extras that they might sell cheap so I can try foamies out on an E2C?

Sam

Jan 5, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #174 of 244
I tried 1/4" tubing from home depot but it's too tight on the E2C (they use a pretty big diameter shaft). Has anyone tried something that works for them?

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #175 of 244
I been reading this thread with interest for a while now, another excellent example of the resourcefulness of the Head-Fi community. I've been making my own foamies for my UM2's for a while and thought I'd show a photo.
In the photo are the following.
This reply might be useful for Aussie's thinking about making some homemade foamies.

At the rear are my UM2's with some Bilsom tapered plugs.
Front left are some Howard Leight Max (bought on ebay $7.50 for 20 pairs)
Rear left are Comply (large) that came with the UM'2
Front center are the Bilsom tapered (bought from Big W)
Rear center are Decidam2 foam plugs from work. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.
Rear right are the Decidam2 cut in half.
Front right are E.A.R classic (cut in half) from Bunnings

I used the hot nail held in a pair of pliers. I find this the best method ( i've tried drilling, using a hole punch, forcing a knitting needle through them, wetting and freezing them). To cut them i just put them in the freezer (dry) and then quickly cut them with a sharp knife (before they thaw).

I bought 3 meters of 5mm tube (perfect for UM2'S) from Bunnings (garden part) for about $4 and push it through the hole. With the softer plugs (Bilsom and Howard Leight's) after I've done this they are a bit deformed so I just throw them in the Microwave for 30 sec and they reform. I use some super glue (loctight gel) around the tube so it doesn't move (and let the tube scratch my inner ear). I feel the full length tube gives better sound as their is no foam to deaden it ( that's what I think anyway). I like the comfort of the Howard leight's and the Bilsom's (same or better than the Comply's) but the E.A.R's and Decidam2 isolate better.

picture00031B.jpg

Cheers

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #176 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by saminmemphis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. NEver worn foamies, as I just got a pair of Shure E2c with the small clear silicone flex. It seems to seal fine, sometimes. Would the modifications herein work with the E2C's as most of you talk about the E4's?

2. I have a CVS I think, so I can look for the Howard Leights, whatever they have. DO I need tubing?

3. Anybody make extras that they might sell cheap so I can try foamies out on an E2C?

Sam

Sorry Sam, I don't know much about the E2c except that it, like the Senn CX300, etc, use conventional drivers and are considered canal phones rather than IEMs. The IEMs, in general, utilize smaller balanced armature drivers. Well, at least that's how I differentiate these beasts. IEMs require a small air space to load to achieve a decent bass response from their miniscule drivers. The Canal phones already have a good-sized driver and are not as dependent upon the seal. In fact, you may get too much bass. If you are looking for the comfort of a foamie, I would suggest the PVC composition (as in E-A-R Classics) and not Polyurethane (as in Howard Leight MAX).

I believe someone had posted earlier trying to fit a tube on the Senn CX300 without success. If the E2c already has a tube, you can use that one. If not, I would suggest trying to put the foamie directly over the extrusion tube of the E2c. You'll need to bore a decent sized hole in the foam, but keep it tight enough that it won't slide off.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

wink.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #177 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireescape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I been reading this thread with interest for a while now, another excellent example of the resourcefulness of the Head-Fi community. I've been making my own foamies for my UM2's for a while and thought I'd show a photo.
In the photo are the following.
This reply might be useful for Aussie's thinking about making some homemade foamies.

Thank you for the kind words Fireescape. It looks like you have quite a nice collection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireescape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....... I like the comfort of the Howard leight's and the Bilsom's (same or better than the Comply's) but the E.A.R's and Decidam2 isolate better.

Cheers

Earlier in this thread (or was it another?
blink.gif
), Derek, a UM2 owner, posted that he preferred the PVC (eg, E-A-R Classics) foamies to the polyurethane (eg, Comply, that come with the UMs). For him the PVC foamies produced a better-balanced sound sig with less overpowering bass and more apparent highs than the Comply brand foamies.

Has this been your experience too?

The opposite is true for the Ety/Altecs where sealing off the ear space is paramount to attaining good bass.

Cheers

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #178 of 244
Quote:

Earlier in this thread (or was it another? ), Derek, a UM2 owner, posted that he preferred the PVC (eg, E-A-R Classics) foamies to the polyurethane (eg, Comply, that come with the UMs). For him the PVC foamies produced a better-balanced sound sig with less overpowering bass and more apparent highs than the Comply brand foamies.
Has this been your experience too?

I feel the sound of the Bilsom and Howard Leights is more even and clear and not as bass pronounced as the PVC foamies when using the UM2's, which I prefer. I still think that the tube used has a bigger part to play in the sound signature than the type of foam used. It's my thought that if the sound has to go down a foam tube (i.e not a full length plastic tube) then the sound becomes a bit more muddied. I guess thats why the comply's have that funnel shaped end, to make a clear path for the sound vibrations.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #179 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool!

As for the clarity part- are you SURE that it is not just an artifact of having a better-balanced freq response?

The highs shoot straight from the driver into your ear and the very short wavelength should not be affected by the foamies. The low-mids and bass are another story and are very dependent upon seal and leakage (composition).

Try this- Take the foamies off and hold the drivers (sans any kind of earplug sealing device) in your ear. Sounds a bit tinny, etched. There are not more highs, or crappier highs, there is just no balance with the rest of the range. Same thing if you run your 2-way or 3-way speaker system with only tweeters.

Thanks for the input and the pics with the Etys!

Happy New Year.

Just compared the Hearos with the stock ety foamies again and I totally agree that it's more balanced but the extra bass does seem to slightly reduce the clarity. I usually have all the eartips with me anyway, I swap them depending on what type of music I'm listening to, same with cables.

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #180 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatdave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
........ I usually have all the eartips with me anyway, I swap them depending on what type of music I'm listening to ........

Great idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back