Homemade custom sleeves for Westone 1
Mar 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rfield00

New Head-Fier
I have had my Westone 1's for about a year and i love theme to pieces! I really wanted to upgrade with a pair of UM56 custom sleeves but being a student could not really justify the cost. I am a dental student and having over the past 5 years we have maid various appliances out of acrylic so i thought that is would be a similar process in making custom fit sleeves for earphones. I had access to a orthodontic lab so i thought i would give it a go.

1.ear moulds were taken at a local opticians. i then dipped these in wax to slightly increase them in size and to smothe any irregularities. i then made a slight addition in wax to the end so anything i trimmed would not be on the fit surface.

2.I cast the moulds in pourable silicone 

3.To make the sleeves removable i took a rubber insert from an old pair of comply tips and placed them onto my earphones. i blocked the tip with wax to prevent acrylic entering

4.I then fabricated the sleeves in self cure acrylic, powder monomer mix

5.once set i removed them from the mould

6.I finished with pumice and a final high polish

I am very pleased with the result, i don't know how they compare to the real thing but they are far more comfy than the comply tips and i feel a get a richer base

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 4
yeah my local optician also has an audiologist in store so they were taken by them. do you think if i extended the acrylic further into the external ear the isolation would be even better?

there is a cheeper way of doing this, before casting in acrylic i did a mock up with a putty silicone. just insert your earphones as normal then insert putty round your ear. very good isolation but quite heavy in ear. you can buy similar material online http://www.diyearplugsonline.com/buynow.htm 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back