Home wiring
Jan 18, 2008 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pompon

500+ Head-Fier
I will install a dedicated line (from breaker box to the wall). I have already a good outlets.

I will receive my VD powercords very soon.

It's time now to install my wiring (in wall).

What I should buy ? (I will take a cable for 20 amp breaker (bigger cable) ).

Any special quality I should consider ?

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will install a dedicated line (from breaker box to the wall). I have already a good outlets.

I will receive my VD powercords very soon.

It's time now to install my wiring (in wall).

What I should buy ? (I will take a cable for 20 amp breaker (bigger cable) ).

Any special quality I should consider ?

I went with 10ga, harder to bend, but in future if I want to go up to 30 amp I have not problems. I used 10ga romex (standard home store wire, solid not stranded) two conductor with ground, some will say that running the ground seperate will be better. I also ran 4 lines, one each for the power amps, one for the pre-amps and analog and one for digital

Check out Audiogon, there are lots of threads about installing dedicated lines

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 14
I read an review of VD cables where the reviewer said he called VD and they recommended him a certain type of cable to run from the box to the outlet, and it wasn't expensive. So you might try calling them and see what kind of wire it was. I believe it was an aluminum shielded cryo treated copper of some kind.

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or just VD all the way from the box to the outlet. Wonder why VD only recommend a cheap alternative?

x2. Why use anything else?
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsalad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check out the 10 Biggest Lies in Audio by the Audio Critic. It might shed some light on what you are doing.

I went to Audio Critic and found that article in issue #26. IMHO he's right on target on all ten points. This should be manditory for all new Head-Fiers, It would certainly cut down on a lot of the bullsh*t threads and bad advice being presented as fact.

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to Audio Critic and found that article in issue #26. IMHO he's right on target on all ten points. This should be manditory for all new Head-Fiers, It would certainly cut down on a lot of the bullsh*t threads and bad advice being presented as fact.

It's my audio bible.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... Have you contacted the power company about installing a dedicated audio grade power line all the way back to the power station?

I wonder what that would cost?

I would wonder how hard they would laugh.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 14
There is nothing wrong with running a dedicated circuit for audio equipment. Will eliminate any current draw from other sources, real question is do you really need a 20 amp circuit? You should find out from and electrician who knows about electricity what he would recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back