Home-Theater Replacement Phones
Feb 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mobius5

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, having to move forced me to get rid of my 5.1 setup, and buying a new set is not an option. So I've been looking at over-ear headphones to see what might fit the bill. These will primarily be used with Blu-ray movies, some games, only occasional music listening. How they perform with movies is my biggest concern. 'Surround sound' is not something that interests me in a headphone, seems gimmicky. Portability is irrelevant.

Some things I'm keeping in mind:
- Likely to be powering them with a Shiit Magni or something comparable
- Looking to spend between $150 and $250 for a carefully used pair
- I've spent a lot of time with B&W 801s (not mine :p), so as far as expensive audio gear goes I feel like I can appreciate some of their nuances
- Deep bass is nice, but not at the expense of the soundstage (I think this means I'll be looking at open-back models?)

Current contenders:
- Sennheiser 598, 600
- Beyerdynamic DT 880
- AKG K702
- Sony MDR-MA900

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 4
Yeah, surround sound phones - well - don't really exist here. Most if not all circumaurals are stereo around here. Are you looking for something that has spatial capabilities? 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629385/ma900-review-the-hd598-killer 

is another thing you might want to look at. Though it doesn't have a tank build (which I'm sure all of us appreciate) like that MDR-F1, it's said to exceed in everything but build. AKG's 70x series is something else you might want to look at, but it has pretty mixed opinions.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Yeah, surround sound phones - well - don't really exist here. Most if not all circumaurals are stereo around here. Are you looking for something that has spatial capabilities? 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629385/ma900-review-the-hd598-killer 

is another thing you might want to look at. Though it doesn't have a tank build (which I'm sure all of us appreciate) like that MDR-F1, it's said to exceed in everything but build. AKG's 70x series is something else you might want to look at, but it has pretty mixed opinions.

Thank you. Very helpful. Right in my price-range and the qualities I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back