Home Office Amp/DAC Recommendations
Jan 3, 2024 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Paul Sheridan

New Head-Fier
Currently using a pair of Sonos speakers (ones) for my home office... I am looking at replacing these with the PMC prodigy1 speakers as these take up a relatively low footprint, really good at nearfield (owing to PMC's origins in the studio market) and produce pretty decent bass. However, I will need an amp and dac (either separate or in one box) to power these.

my current room dimensions are: 3m x 5m

Things i am set on:
Speakers: PMC Prodigy1

Units i am about to demo:
Naim Unity Atom
NAD M10v2
Hifi Rose RS520

I am not completely set on getting an all in-one-box solution, however space is at a premium.

I am about to demo these on friday (hopefully side-by-side)
Naim Unity Atom + PMC
NAD M10v2 + PMC

and these for the Saturday in another demo studio:
Naim Unity Atom + PMC
Hifi Rose RS520 + PMC

Things i like about my current system:
- completely wireless & remote operation; only need to plug these in and they just work.
- decent bass
- small! these take up such a small footprint

things i don't like:
- clarity / detail
- PRAT (pace rhythm and timing) is poor
- only produce mono as units are not compatible to generate a stereo pair

Budget of approx. £3500 for amp/dac

would there be any other amps/dacs to look at that would better the features/SQ of the above pairings?

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 5
You can get the Hegel h190, which has streaming options baked into it. Or a Topping LA90, one of the most highly rated class D amps now. Downside to it is you have to pair it with a balanced DAC. In this setup Wiim Pro plus would be an excellent addition as a streamer.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 5
You can get the Hegel h190, which has streaming options baked into it. Or a Topping LA90, one of the most highly rated class D amps now. Downside to it is you have to pair it with a balanced DAC. In this setup Wiim Pro plus would be an excellent addition as a streamer.
With the topping/wim pro plus combo would you still need a balanced dac? Or just xlr to rca adaptators?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back