Home-Made IEMs
May 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #1,533 of 15,989
Hi, I'm Japanese CIEM-DIYer & I always consult with this DIY thread.

BTW, XBA-4 has unique divers made by SONY, so it is hard even for DIYer to help you.
I think XBA doesn't have any crossover. It makes its sound by arrangement of BA drivers.
So it's very hard to sustain its original sound if you take out its drivers from shell. 

May 23, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #1,534 of 15,989
Quote:

BTW, XBA-4 has unique divers made by SONY, so it is hard even for DIYer to help you.
I think XBA doesn't have any crossover. It makes its sound by arrangement of BA drivers.
So it's very hard to sustain its original sound if you take out its drivers from shell. 

Hello!

Yep, XBA line does not use a crossover... It's my first IEM and was thinking of reshelling it...now it doesn't seem like a good idea! The 8 Ohm impedance can be annoying sometimes... Like really... 

May 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,536 of 15,989
Quote:

Hey! Great to see you on here!
normal_smile .gif

BTW, everyone --- KumitateK's blog is amazing... everyone interested in DIY should definitely check it out: http://diy-ciem.blogspot.jp/

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,541 of 15,989
Just a quick post here for some much-needed advice/suggestions ....

I have a pair of Shure SE-530 in disassembled condition, as shown here (not my image, but looks same)

(They were taken apart in order to replace that infamous "dry-rotting" Shure cable [see H-F archives for more on this]). The body/shell was carefully split--as shown above -- to expose their innards. That was some time ago as this is not an easy project -- one issue is finding proper replacement cable -- so the these Shure's remain in pieces in Ziplocks awaiting some disposition or disposal.

I could salvage the the SE530 in some interesting/skill-building/fun DIY fashion some of you may suggest ... Please!

Soundwise, I never cared for the SE530 after I acquired Senn IE-8, ES SM3v2 and ER-4s, so them sitting in pieces is not a big deal ... unless there is some DIY use for them that ALSO improves the SQ over the SE530/535 series. Speaking of which, any chance these could be sold for parts? Suggestions for that are welcome, too.

Thx!!

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #1,543 of 15,989
Does anyone have a good source for UV-Cured Acrylic Resin? Would like to get some but it's hard to find the right one since there are so many out there.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #1,544 of 15,989
Thx for that info...but I want to take the shortest route: re-solder in new cables. I was thinking: cheap (but decent) WalMart IEMs or buds (e.g., Sony) ... snip off the drivers. The only concern is re-assembling the two-piece shell. Not sure what resin or glue held it together. I've read other's post how good a job Shure does with "resining in", and I had to undo much of that during disassembly. Also, and importantly, there is the final acoustic seal ... it seems to be acoustic suspension, and not ported or reflex. Dunno how common port/reflex design is for BA IEMs?????
Quote:

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,545 of 15,989
Quote:
can someone help me to make 4 drivers crossover for my xba 4?
there are 4 driver, namely:
woofer, tweeter, full range & super woofer

thanks.

Sony uses a mechanical crossover for the drivers. Each of its drivers are only designed to produce a specific range of frequencies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back