Home-Made IEMs
Apr 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,516 of 15,989
Thanks very much for taking the time to post a detailed '101' on the topic, tomscy2000.

I find it particularly intriguing that, in contrast to almost all his peers, Grzegorz has produced something as complex as the SE-5 without resorting to the use of filters. Very impressive achievement, IMO.

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,519 of 15,989
Quote:
Thanks very much for taking the time to post a detailed '101' on the topic, tomscy2000.

I find it particularly intriguing that, in contrast to almost all his peers, Grzegorz has produced something as complex as the SE-5 without resorting to the use of filters. Very impressive achievement, IMO.

It's a combination of tube length and diameter plus phase shifts. ACS also made its IEMs without dampers back in the days.

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation
smily_headphones1.gif
is there sonion alternative to the ka twfk and cl22955? That will fit in the se535/e5c shell? In a nutshell im going for westone 3/um3x clone

2091+2323 could be made to match Westone 3 or UM3x response. There's no straight replacement for TWFK in Sonion line up.

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,520 of 15,989
but a cl22955 and twfk will be better? i'm really just exploring my options.How do i use sound tubes to modify the sound? what acoustic dampers/filters do you suggest i use to achieve the westone 3 sound?

May 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,521 of 15,989
Is there a way to identify (without model numbers) which driver is doing what? My ciems have a small dual armature, and another single armature at least three times as large, I can only read the large one, which is a knowles 22955

May 8, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,524 of 15,989
I'm not exactly trying to make my own IEMs, but I see that the topic of drivers are being discussed, would anyone be able to give me their opinions about this?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663171/has-anyone-tried-combining-two-universals-to-a-custom-reshell

I'm trying to combine the drivers of the SM3 and TF10 into a reshell, and am looking for more opinions.

May 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #1,525 of 15,989
Quote:
I'm not exactly trying to make my own IEMs, but I see that the topic of drivers are being discussed, would anyone be able to give me their opinions about this?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663171/has-anyone-tried-combining-two-universals-to-a-custom-reshell

I'm trying to combine the drivers of the SM3 and TF10 into a reshell, and am looking for more opinions.

I don't think it's worth it, but the most plausible thing would be to use the CI low driver from the SM3 and add it to the TF10. However, it's much cheaper if you just ordered the CI driver online, instead of destroying a perfectly good earphone for no reason. It's not practical to add the mids and highs of the SM3 to the mix, as they are delivered by a single dual receiver, the TWFK, and it doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the crowd. However, I've had a TWFK + 33A before, so that's plausible as well. The 2389 (UE-High) of the TF10 can also be added to the CI low of the SM3 for a dual driver configuration, but somehow I don't think you're interested in making two earphones by mixing and matching one another. Also, most companies won't be willing to do this for you, as they don't want to take the time investigating how to best implement the crossover. They usually have set formulas, like the TF10x4, TF10x6, SM3x8, etc. I advise you not to try this.

May 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,526 of 15,989
I follow your line of thinking, but I also think this is a bad idea.  There's no telling how those drivers will sound in the same shell.  At least with the known options there is a known outcome thats sounds good.  If you wanted to add drivers to a universal iem, I think you'd be better off going with tfx6, or sm3x8, but even then there aren't that many people who have done that.  Probably better idea is just to go with the customs that already have pre-configured set up ie Miracle, Merlin, etc
Quote:

May 10, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #1,528 of 15,989
Hi all, 

Just writing a post to say the drivers I'm selling are having a little discount on them! They were listed at £110 but I can cut it down to £90. I can post to USA for all you people asking! These are SONION drivers.

If anyone is interested I have just been sent some sample Sonion AcuPass Drivers which are a a two way driver and include an internal crossover. here is a link to the website announcing them

http://www.colsanmicro.com/product-release-1723-acupass-2/

Let me know if anyone is interested in them!

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back