Home-Made IEMs
Sep 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,426 of 15,978
Quote:
I was in the Sony Store in London yesterday and noticed this display of Sony's flagship XBA4's. They claim that each driver is for a different frequency (Highs, mids, bass, super bass). Funny thing is that all four drivers look identical, there's no crossover circuitry and only one acoustic filter. Tried to get  a better shot of the drivers to try and ID them but the staff started giving me odd looks.

Aye, that's Londoners for you - they're s suspicious bunch - I should know, I spent the first 15 years or so of my life there!

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,427 of 15,978
Quote:
Nixon - that is the silicone i just used for my mould, worked a treat and the 275g pack seems to be about right.
For shell material I've gone with some water-clear polyester resin i had laying about, that too has worked great, I've just got to smooth off the surface (my silicone mould had bubbles) then start drilling out.
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Greenbeast, have you checked that the polyester resin you say you're using is non-toxic? Please be very careful putting polyester resin in your ears (cured, obviously!). Even cured, regular polyester resin can be toxic.

BTW, you can remove the 'Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2' signature line if you look in the 'Settings' area of Tapatalk.

All the best

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,428 of 15,978
Quote:
Here is my recent project: CI+TWFK

great sound!!!! (wood isn't finished, yet)

How did you attach the acoustic tubing to the CL driver?

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #1,430 of 15,978
The shells were made with a dental material (check post #1293). I have made the mix quite liquid and rotated the material inside my silicone molds. 
The drivers were attached to the tubes with glue (transparent general purpose glue)

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,431 of 15,978
Thought that'd be the case but just wanted to check. Just need to get my impressions made and I can crack on with this.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #1,432 of 15,978
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet. But check this out:

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2254

IEM shells!

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #1,433 of 15,978
Oct 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #1,436 of 15,978
Quote:

Those are probably after-hours assembly line counterfeits. As long as the drivers are still real, there shouldn't be any real problem with them, except that Shure isn't making any money off them... LOL

This "DT-10004" driver is like a cheap third-party competitor, just like how the Sonion 2389 is an analog to the ED-29689. Who knows how well the shock resistance is, but it seems to do well in emulating the ED driver performance. It looks worse in high-end extension, but that's about it.

Sooner or later, some Chinese company is going to roll out with a sub-$100 dual-BA universal IEM. I can just smell it.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #1,438 of 15,978
Quote:

Well, the store that you're looking at is basically advertisement for some dude who remolds earphones in his backyard, literally. He made a series of explanatory videos on Chinese tube sites that detail how to DIY custom ear molds. I guess he's willing to make the shells for people who want to try to assemble their own customs but don't have the acrylic/UV to make their own shells. So, he's positioning himself as a one-stop DIY shop for CIEMs.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,439 of 15,978
Quote:

Well, the store that you're looking at is basically advertisement for some dude who remolds earphones in his backyard, literally. He made a series of explanatory videos on Chinese tube sites that detail how to DIY custom ear molds. I guess he's willing to make the shells for people who want to try to assemble their own customs but don't have the acrylic/UV to make their own shells. So, he's positioning himself as a one-stop DIY shop for CIEMs.

Ahh, China - ever the land of the entrepreneur! 
biggrin.gif

....still...if he turned out to be a disgruntled ex-employee of one of the big Chinese vendors (I'll name no names), then he might be a godsend to DIY Head-fiers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back