Home-Made IEMs
Jul 10, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,411 of 16,028
I've also used hearing aid tube on mine. Works very well. Forgot which one I used but it was the thick type.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #1,412 of 16,028
Finally got my impressions done.

Will start mold making this weekend   
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,413 of 16,028
Did you do those yourself? They look basically OK, but they don't look like they went very deep into the ear canal (i.e. not as far as the '2nd bend')

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,414 of 16,028
No, an audiologist did them. He said they were reasonably deep, perhaps 'reasonably' isn't as far as the second bend, perhaps the photo doesn't show them right.

Hope they'll be ok, really can't afford to go again

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #1,415 of 16,028
they look deep enough to me (already past 2nd bend), if you post them for shell making the lab will just cut the tip off if they are too long. About 1cm beyond the 2nd bend is enough to provide some kind of 'holding' for the iem, any longer won't improve the isolation while becoming uncomfortable at the same time.

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #1,420 of 16,028
Quote:

Sorry for the noob question: I always thought that the advantages of custom is that they are "tuned" for individual ear (via driver placement, driver angle, etc.), which I thought was important because each ear is different anatomically. And I read that JH Audio "tune" each ear piece individually. Indeed, their Youtube shows how they use some computer software to do the fine-tuning. 

So if the angle of the drivers does not matter, what is the advantage of going custom? I have been thinking of going custom (not home-made, though) but am not sure if there's real benefit besides comfort and fit. 

you get perfect seal / fit / comfort / sound. fine-tuning the drivers include the duct size, length & shapes / filters / crossovers / attenuation levels.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #1,421 of 16,028
(ask)

I have a pair of UE TF10, and in project of making Universal custom iem with resin (like fit ear to go series)

i need option for additional driver for the mid.

1. if I buy the armature driver what is the best for the mid?
2. if I must use existing iem (ex Etymotic ER P, Shure, etc), which iem that is good to use?
3. it is possible to use additional dynamic driver as a mid driver?
4. the last question, can people in here help me with the crossover wiring for the mid with existing UE TF10 crossover?

thanks....

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #1,422 of 16,028
Think I might finally have to take the dive and start a pair of these. Going to start with a basic one driver pair using a CI-22955 in each bud. 

Looking at using this polycast silicon for the moulds http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polycraft-GP-3481-F-RTV-Silicone-Mould-Making-Rubber-275g-Kit-Shore-A27-/220865241811?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item336c9822d3#ht_1303wt_725

Still can't decide on what to make the enclosures out of. Thinking of using the dental acrylic resin edba2000 used. Seems to work and should be safe enough to shove in my ears if its made to go in peoples mouths. Anyone else got any better suggestions? 

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,423 of 16,028
Nixon - that is the silicone i just used for my mould, worked a treat and the 275g pack seems to be about right.

For shell material I've gone with some water-clear polyester resin i had laying about, that too has worked great, I've just got to smooth off the surface (my silicone mould had bubbles) then start drilling out.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #1,424 of 16,028
I was in the Sony Store in London yesterday and noticed this display of Sony's flagship XBA4's. They claim that each driver is for a different frequency (Highs, mids, bass, super bass). Funny thing is that all four drivers look identical, there's no crossover circuitry and only one acoustic filter. Tried to get  a better shot of the drivers to try and ID them but the staff started giving me odd looks.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,425 of 16,028
Quote:
I was in the Sony Store in London yesterday and noticed this display of Sony's flagship XBA4's. They claim that each driver is for a different frequency (Highs, mids, bass, super bass). Funny thing is that all four drivers look identical, there's no crossover circuitry and only one acoustic filter. Tried to get  a better shot of the drivers to try and ID them but the staff started giving me odd looks.

I read somewhere(probably head-fi) that the drivers are a custom sony model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back