Home-Made IEMs
Jul 3, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #1,396 of 15,994
Jul 3, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #1,397 of 15,994
No its not marketing gimmick. There is quiet a bit of science in how driver placement inside ear canal affects the sound characteristics.
here is a link which explains better.
http://rinchoi.blogspot.de/2010/05/how-deep-do-you-insert-you-er4.html

True, but what the author is saying is that driver placement (insertion depth), when done badly, can harm SQ. That's why he said that acs tips had negative effects on the intended sound of er4. He never wanted any positive effects from the tips.

Indeed, I just spoke to the author of this piece. He told me that he was not convinced that custom has any advantages on top of universal sq-wise.

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #1,398 of 15,994
Jul 3, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #1,399 of 15,994
Quote:
He told me that he was not convinced that custom has any advantages on top of universal sq-wise.

If with a universal iem combined with a proper tip, you get proper fit seal and insertion where the tip of insert earphones reaches the reference plane (This is a plane, at right angles to the longitudinal axis of the ear canal, located at the point in the ear canal where the earmold or ear shell usually terminates (defined in the standards to be approximately 13mm from the ear drum) at which you can enjoy the reference response that the manufacturer of the earphones intended.
Then I would say there is no advantage of custom for SQ.

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #1,400 of 15,994
If with a universal iem combined with a proper tip, you get proper fit seal and insertion where the tip of insert earphones reaches the reference plane (This is a plane, at right angles to the longitudinal axis of the ear canal, located at the point in the ear canal where the earmold or ear shell usually terminates (defined in the standards to be approximately 13mm from the ear drum) at which you can enjoy the reference response that the manufacturer of the earphones intended.
Then I would say there is no advantage of custom for SQ.

Fair enough :)

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #1,401 of 15,994
For the people who have worked with the 33A007, does anyone have its impedance plot?

Also, AVX markets their Niobium caps as having low ESR (and consequently, Heir uses AVX exclusively); does that necessarily make a significant audible difference in THD over your run of the mill Tantalum? Isn't low ESR only critical for temperature sensitive applications (of which IEMs aren't really subjected to)?

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #1,402 of 15,994
Maybe if you'll send me one driver (or ten), I'll plot the impedance for you
biggrin.gif

I was under the impression that tantalums are worst kind of cap for audio. Why not use ceramics instead? They'll also have lower ESR for sure. I have no idea about the quality of niobium caps.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #1,403 of 15,994
ceramics are not well-regarded, sonically, either.  film caps are the usual choice for crossovers, unless they would be too big, physically (this may be the worst phrasing for any post i have ever made).  

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,404 of 15,994
True, but smd film caps are rare, expensive and aren't available in very high capacitances. Hence, ceramics are used, which I believe are better than tantalums at least. There's really not much room for better caps in iems.

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #1,406 of 15,994
I'll be starting to put my iems together soon, these turned up in the UK from mouser today, ordered sunday, Free FEDEX delivery  with all VAT and Duty paid :D

They are Knowles BK-26824, bought them because they're fairly cheap, bought 4 because i had to get over £50 for the free delivery (& duty) and it gives me a chance to finish a pair even if i ruin 2.
Bought a full set of dampers to test too

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,407 of 15,994
Jul 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,408 of 15,994

Opened up my ue superfi 5 eb as I constantly find the RHS has lesser bass and suspect its due to seal issue. Turns out the sound tube is indeed broken and has leakage. Hope this picture will help someone in one way or another. Red colour damper in the tube and model of high freq driver is UE HIe 0749. Cap has something like 225 20K and 1105 or 005 on it.

Additional info: internal diameter of sound tube is approx 1.5mm

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,409 of 15,994
Quote:
Need to find some of the tubing for the drivers, in the UK ideally.

It's the last thing i need, got my impression appointment booked for tomorrow.

I can find this:
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stay-Dri-Dry-BTE-Hearing-Aid-Tubing-X-2-/180925164884?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&hash=item2a1ffaed54#ht_500wt_1236

Or this:
http://www.sensorcom.com/product.asp?P_ID=1071&strPageHistory=related

But not sure if either are the same thing others are using.

I'm using the sensorcom tubing. Seems to work well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back