Home-Made IEMs
Jun 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,336 of 15,989
Originally Posted by piotrus-g /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are using custom made drivers 2300 series from Sonion. It dosn't metter which number you have after 23, because you won't find that driver in retail

Thanx.  What do you mean not in retail?  I'll just ask AE if they can use that model number for me.

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #1,337 of 15,989
Quote:

You can call it distortion if you want, but only two specific BA drivers can acheive that distortion, none other, so I need to know what they are, or it'll be impossible to make that sound, that's it.

you can achieve these distortions with unmatched phase ,or changing filter position , tube lenght etc.
An interesting point drivers produce very low distortion after tuning distortion occur.Other characteristics can be achived by using resonance points.

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,338 of 15,989
Originally Posted by kiteki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So?  You need to know which driver to tune, hence why I'm asking.  You can't 100% turn driver X into driver Z with any tuning, no matter how hard you try.

As I understant from tuning is deciding XO values and sound tube parameters.For example :you can get bassy IEM with Er-4 drivers.
For quality aspect:
The sound stage feeling is a distortion,also warmth is a distortion.boomy bass is a resonance at low freqs.The key point how much add which distortion and how much add which resonance.

you can achieve these distortions with unmatched phase ,or changing filter position , tube lenght etc.
An interesting point drivers produce very low distortion after tuning distortion occur.Other characteristics can be achived by using resonance points.

I'm not following why you're calling it distortion.  Do you mean THD+N and IMD or just distortion as in not real life?

The JVC micro driver IEM's like FXC71 have no tube length, the driver is in the tip, they have pretty decent soundstage / imaging.  In the Sony EX600 the driver is far away, and tilted 90 degrees, this gives enhanced soundstage almost like a headphone, however lacks inner sphere, etc.

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #1,339 of 15,989
Quote:

Thanx.  What do you mean not in retail?  I'll just ask AE if they can use that model number for me.

Not in regular sale. You couldn't just ask Sonion "please send me 1 audeo driver". You can buy driver from 2300 instead to fully match to your design

Quote:
The JVC micro driver IEM's like FXC71 have no tube length, the driver is in the tip, they have pretty decent soundstage / imaging.  In the Sony EX600 the driver is far away, and tilted 90 degrees, this gives enhanced soundstage almost like a headphone, however lacks inner sphere, etc.

Those are dynamic, we are talking balanced armature here :wink: Soundstage is created mostly in the driver and depends mailny on the back volume of a diaphragm, then it's shaped by dampers. In dual driver or more configuration soundstage can be influenced by phase shifts

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #1,340 of 15,989
Update:

Look what came all the way from the States 
bigsmile_face.gif

TWFK + CI22955 + Filters. The TWFK is ****** Tiny.

Also been trying to perfect making some shells. Not quite the standard I wanted.

I was searching through alibaba and found this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/537442587/Molding_UV_resin_for_manufacturing_precise.html

I've contacted the supplier and reached a deal, a 250ml bottle is 35USD + 25USD Shipping totaling 60USD or £38 which isn't bad.
I'll report back when this stuff arrives. Apparently, this stuff is new from the supplier.

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #1,341 of 15,989
Cool, but how are you intending to cure that resin?

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #1,342 of 15,989
Quote:
Cool, but how are you intending to cure that resin?

It's dead simple. Just use a 365nm UV light source. I've got a torch I used to repair a windscreen chip with, that cured the resin perfect.

If all else fails, my sister has a UV lamp she does her nails with.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,345 of 15,989
It's dead simple. Just use a 365nm UV light source. I've got a torch I used to repair a windscreen chip with, that cured the resin perfect.

If all else fails, my sister has a UV lamp she does her nails with.

Don't you need to keep the mould rotating to get a shell though? If the lamp isn't strong enough this could take some time!

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #1,348 of 15,989
Sonion info on drivers for IEM

? Popular Broad Band Receivers:
– 1700 good broad band, sufficient headroom, limited HF
– 2300 good broad band, widest response
– 2600 best sounding broad band with small size but limited headroom
– 3200 good trade off between accuracy and output
? Popular Woofers
– 2000 excellent PA sounding woofer (think single 18”)
– 3300 excellent PA sounding woofer (think dual 15” drivers)
– 3100 nice trade off in size and performance smallest receiver that works well as a
true woofer (sounds similar to a single 12”)
? Popular Tweeters
– 2300 industry standard tweeter
– 2600 offers nice trade off in size and performance. Would work well with woofer
and very low crossover frequency (125 Hz or so)

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #1,350 of 15,989
Quote:
  According to Sonion representatives 1700 is really good woofer.

Yeah, the FR curve up to 1 kHz looks ideal for a woofer. Sonion's positioning the 7/9 variant as their ideal IEM woofer, and they say the back volume is internally vented, as well as an inductive coil (I thought coils introduced distortion, though?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back