Home-Made IEMs
Apr 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #1,246 of 15,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaIncluded /img/forum/go_quote.gif  4400 has a somewhat low output so you will get less headroom. Maybe it could be interesting to use another tweeter in conjuction with the 4400 or 2 x 4400.

I agree 2x4400 would be better, but doesn't the TWFK have somewhat similar output characteristics?

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #1,247 of 15,991

Quote:

Correct. Please look at what measurement coupling is used. The most relevant coupling for earphones is the IEC 711 coupling + tubing. But be aware that your tubing will likely be different than in the datasheet. This will change the response in the high frequencies: +6kHz. Measurement in 2cc couplers are very misleading in terms of earphones. It is for standard comparisons only.

well from what I have seen most of custom iems out there use hearing aid grade equipments for testing. UE and westone used something like the 4195 while fit ear uses the 711, um uses 711 coupling with the 43ac. etymotic also uses 711 for their er4p, as well as some ha1 and ha2 for testing.

I see nothing wrong with using hearing aid equipments. In fact the best measuring equipments you can get on the market come from companies like b&k or gras as countless efforts have been spent on researching how to simulate human ears as close as possible. the zwislocki coupler (before it was renamed the 711) is said to be the best coupler for simulating inner ear's impedance and it was developed for the hearing aid industry in the first place.

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #1,249 of 15,991
brides? sorry I can't get your humor there.

it's true graphs don't tell you everything, but they do tell you loads of things. A good pair always has good graphs. Look at the hd800 or er4p, finely tuned to bits. You can't say I just want something sounds good regardless of its nasty, go-all-over-the-place graphs. Moreover having accurate equipments not only give you good graphs but your simulations are also improved, which will then save you from shoving into your ear the new design each time you come across one just for the sake of testing.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #1,250 of 15,991
Sorry for being unclear. I was talking about ordering drivers, not phones.

I am the author of probably the worst sounding IEMs in the world. Drivers were from a small shop wannabies. They lied about 1) the chamber cm³ 2) tubes length 3) tubes diameter.

I distrust graphs probably more than I should, but you know, I cannot re-calculate test tubes → mine and chamber → my ear by just looking at graphs.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #1,251 of 15,991
Anyone played around with the GP30711 yet? It seems like a good starting point, as it's superior to the GQ in that it has dual spouts instead of one single 12S port, giving more tuning options...

EDIT 01: I also wonder what a Sony BA would sound like with tubing and dampers...
EDIT 02: Also, would using a Ferrofluid FED negate the need for acoustic dampers if one were to use an FED as a high driver?
EDIT 03: What coupler does SONOVE use?

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #1,252 of 15,991
Your questions are so advanced that they probably triggered the Echelon in all five countries — hence no replies. Presuming others are dead and they already are tracing me:

$5 that nobody here tried GP yet.

I haven't had a chance to gut the Sony XBA series, but according to the people they are using acoustic only filters. If we ignore tubes length (as, to simplify, it just extends/condenses highs), or weird tube shapes, one can only play with dampers — i.e. only with low-passes.

Dampers (available to us) come in discrete steps, so you are usually limited to about 1-2 dampers choice or 2 × 1-3 two-damper combinations (a hair-range of freedom, but still). One, theoretically speaking, might also try own wool or other materials, or some other mechanical restrictor, like a grill (if have access to micro tools).

I guess they skipped the caps (if they did) because strictly (well, very strictly) speaking a cap — is hardly a crossover. The 1st order slope is so girly (unlike, say, 4th order ninja cuts) that they've probably decided they are better off combining driver properties (incl. sensitivity, power, etc) in a way that could do without it.

I don't think with 2 bores superimposing is an issue in general, and the XBA series is probably a good real-life example — if it really is what I think it is. But I doubt their motivation was THD, phase shifting or anything Bigfoot-related.

I'd speculate their approach is a result of the Japanese design culture, which is especially prominent in modern architecture — with its zen simplicity and shapes that create meaning with just few strokes. Speaking of strokes — I'd even say the sound was designed as a Shodo, but afraid you would be the only member that might agree.

The inside info on SONOVE and especially the Ferrofluids (which could be used to destroy the Earth by inserting a driver into a 1 m hole in the ground and playing «Friday Friday») was probably what triggered the Echelon and wiped out the members of this thread. But I'll tell you what I think since they can't tr

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #1,253 of 15,991
Hello All,

Me and my friend have decided that we want o make our own DIY IEM when we finish school as a bit of fun! Obviously we would like it to sound awesome but we won't be to annoyed if it does not. We are think that we will use a a TWFK and maybe possibly cover it with another BA for the bass! Is this too hard for a first time or is this a realistic idea? 

If someone would be able to either post on here or PM me a step by step guide on how one would go about doing the soldering, xover and shelling it (would like to try and make it custom) etc. that would be great and be much appreciated as we want to be sure that we would not be wasting our money buying the required parts!

Thanks

Sonny

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #1,255 of 15,991
I would suggest just try TWFK to start with & try different filters & tube lengths, depending on the success/failure you can try to move to adding additional drivers and some form of crossover.
Note : Even to get the TWFK wired at start is tough job, you need skills with solder iron. Its very small driver.

Yeh I'm happy to start off with a just a TWFK but I don't really know we're to start with wiring and especially how I'm going to get it into a shell!

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #1,257 of 15,991

Quote:
Have you seen VSonic GR01 to start with you can try similar shell instead of customs.
Regarding wires, I think you can find litze on ebay and for dampers you can check 

http://colsanmicro.com

you can also find cables and sockets with them.

Were can you get a shell like the GR01 as that'd be easier! I have already came across colsanmicro! What is lizte braided cables? So if i was too make a GR01 shell with TWFK what should i look at getting on my list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back