Home-Made IEMs
Mar 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,171 of 15,991

Quote:
Any of them can produce 100% bubble free shells if you know how to process stages with extreme care. Egger and Dreve seem to be the most popular choices out there, so yeah any of the 3 above work just as fine.

I'll be getting dreve probably and maybe egger to comparision.
Will see, which one is easier to work.
Could you elaborate on "extreme care"? I'd appreciate your insight on working with these materials either here or via PM.

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #1,174 of 15,991
Quote:
laser lol

Maybe you could give it to company that does pcv engravings?

I guess I'll ask the companies themselves. The thing I'm concerned with most is finding a company that can do engravings on irregular surfaces like those of IEM shells... some companies can only do tubular surfaces, or flat surfaces...

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #1,178 of 15,991
I suppose there's also the possibility of acid-etching (this is common for security-etching consumer electronics).

Then you'd in-fill the voids with paint.

I don't know how accurately the acid would accomplish the etching, though, so you'd need to do a test-run first.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #1,179 of 15,991
You could also try having a piece of metal plate engraved professionally, then make a negative mould of it, and use this negative to impress upon your IEM acrylic during the curing process.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #1,180 of 15,991
... Or you could use a plastic or metal plate that has been professionally-engraved, and simply fit this plate onto your CIEM

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #1,181 of 15,991
Quote:
  Have you considered conventional engraving, which you could then fill-in with paint afterwards?

Quote:
You could also try having a piece of metal plate engraved professionally, then make a negative mould of it, and use this negative to impress upon your IEM acrylic during the curing process.

Quote:
... Or you could use a plastic or metal plate that has been professionally-engraved, and simply fit this plate onto your CIEM

Well, I'm not making my own IEM, but the faceplate is going to be opaque black, and I requested it to be as smooth and flat as possible to give as suitable as possible an engraving surface. I want to engrave my (current) avatar in, as that's the name I'm calling this model. It's basically my own selection of drivers, tuning, and shell preferences.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #1,184 of 15,991
Quote:
3way 2 units 4 driver. I just knew that your avatar has to do something with IEMs :D

haha... you know me!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
More impressions

What software are you rendering these pictures in?

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #1,185 of 15,991
Hey guys! This is a really interesting thread. Sadly, I didn't find it until there were over 70 pages of comments. Can anybody tell me if there was a page telling about the finished product? Also, is it necessary to use a crossover as long as you use appropriate drivers together and filter them properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back