Home-Made IEMs
Mar 26, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,186 of 16,051
Quote:
Hey guys! This is a really interesting thread. Sadly, I didn't find it until there were over 70 pages of comments. Can anybody tell me if there was a page telling about the finished product? Also, is it necessary to use a crossover as long as you use appropriate drivers together and filter them properly?

No, it's not necessary to use a crossover (see the Sony XBA series), but a crossover is arguably the safer choice, as filtering drivers that specifically using just acoustic filters is tough to do.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #1,187 of 16,051

Quote:
haha... you know me!
biggrin.gif

so in the end you've decided 3300+TWFK?
Looking forward to your impressions

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #1,189 of 16,051
I currently looking into buying BA drivers from KA for an DIY IEM project and came across their GQ and GP speakers (latter one is not documented on their homepage but in their PDF design guide) both fitted with tiny crossover circuits.

They look like an interesting package for an easy setup. Anyone tried these already alone / in combination with other drivers?

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #1,191 of 16,051
Thanks Piotrus-g. I unfortunately dont have either of those, but will give it a try.

I have a hard time sourcing those here in Europe (expecially shipping prices). Any other tips expect Mouser / digikey etc where I can source KA BA speakers?

I reviewed extensively KA's soldering advice (having read Bilavideos experiences with soldeing BA speakers). Seems to be rather important to stick to that advice (e.g. using a heat sink) since these tiny speakers are easily damaged during soldering.
In this regards, the GP / GQ series offer a great advantage since the cross over ciruit will not transmit the heat to the case, so I anticipate no heat sink needed.  

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #1,192 of 16,051

Quote:
Thanks Piotrus-g. I unfortunately dont have either of those, but will give it a try.

I have a hard time sourcing those here in Europe (expecially shipping prices). Any other tips expect Mouser / digikey etc where I can source KA BA speakers?

I reviewed extensively KA's soldering advice (having read Bilavideos experiences with soldeing BA speakers). Seems to be rather important to stick to that advice (e.g. using a heat sink) since these tiny speakers are easily damaged during soldering.
In this regards, the GP / GQ series offer a great advantage since the cross over ciruit will not transmit the heat to the case, so I anticipate no heat sink needed.  

No need for heatsinks, a 25w soldering iron should be enough without giving off too much heat. Another good tip is to tin the wire used for soldering first, that way it only takes fractions of a second to solder the wire onto the BA's pad.
If you can pick up some Cardas solder, it's dirt cheap and melts like butter, no need to apply anymore flux beforehand.

Personally smd soldering is way harder than BA
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #1,193 of 16,051

Quote:
No need for heatsinks, a 25w soldering iron should be enough without giving off too much heat. Another good tip is to tin the wire used for soldering first, that way it only takes fractions of a second to solder the wire onto the BA's pad.
If you can pick up some Cardas solder, it's dirt cheap and melts like butter, no need to apply anymore flux beforehand.

Personally smd soldering is way harder than BA
tongue.gif

You got a point there, tranhieu, and thanks for sharing the info. I believe that solder alloy you refer to contains most likely lead which lowers the melting point of the solder. Personally, I am trying to move to non-lead solder like SAC especially when the parts a close to the body all the time (liky earphones). Maybe its a bit superstitiuous to get RoHs conform
rolleyes.gif
. Of course that may mean higher melting points and all the disadvantages that come along with it.

Yeah, smd is a tricky story but I managed the opamps of two mini3s so far relatively well so I hope it turns out like you said (I ordered one pair of rather cheap "trial" drivers to excercise with).

How many IEM's did you complete?  

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #1,200 of 16,051
Oh, BTW, I wonder if Aurisonics will be willing to sell just the shells of the ASG-1 in the future. That would certainly make it easier to test out new circuit setups without having to pour new molds and such, or even break open the faceplate to make adjustments, since the ASG has a screw-on faceplate...

I think there's a good possibility that they will sell parts, since Aurisonics is all about field-serviceability...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back