Home-Made IEMs
Sep 14, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #15,541 of 15,989
Hi guys...haven't posted here before but see a few folks I chat with elsewhere, and one suggested I reach out to this group for suggestions. I am in the US and have a Sony IER Z1R with a fully dislodged mmcx connector from left shell (see pic). I've tried gently screwing it back in, fitting it back in, etc. and there has been zero sound. Sony will not help and the only outfit I know that will is in UK, but they won't ship back to the US.

20230707_105846.jpg

So I'm hoping one of you feels up to the challenge or knows someone who would! It's above my paygrade, but at this point, it's useless to me, so willing to send it off to anyone who thinks they could fix it (and I'm happy to pay for that!).

Please reach out to me if you think you could fix it or if you know someone who might. Thanks so much!!!

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #15,542 of 15,989
Hi guys...haven't posted here before but see a few folks I chat with elsewhere, and one suggested I reach out to this group for suggestions. I am in the US and have a Sony IER Z1R with a fully dislodged mmcx connector from left shell (see pic). I've tried gently screwing it back in, fitting it back in, etc. and there has been zero sound. Sony will not help and the only outfit I know that will is in UK, but they won't ship back to the US.

20230707_105846.jpg

So I'm hoping one of you feels up to the challenge or knows someone who would! It's above my paygrade, but at this point, it's useless to me, so willing to send it off to anyone who thinks they could fix it (and I'm happy to pay for that!).

Please reach out to me if you think you could fix it or if you know someone who might. Thanks so much!!!
For one to fix it, they would have to have the full working knowledge of the construction and an ability to remove/separate the shell. From my experience tearing apart shure IEMs, i believe that would be the toughest part. Once the shell is separated, theres a couple of us that would be more than capable. But, sometimes its a dicey undertaking when comes to adhesive removal AND not damage the shell or internal components. Moat of these are not particularly designed for repair work or upgrades.

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #15,543 of 15,989
I really doubt that you would be able to get into them easily. Based on this post from the IER Z1R thread, it is possible?

1694719079871.png

I'm not sure how you would even open it up, maybe the little port on the underside is both a bass vent and also hides a retention screw. otherwise the faceplate is probably glued in so it might need heat or solvent to loosen the glue to pull out the contents of the IEM. If the MMCX connector is still physically sound but you aren't getting sound, you might need the jack to be resoldered.

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #15,544 of 15,989
I really doubt that you would be able to get into them easily. Based on this post from the IER Z1R thread, it is possible?

1694719079871.png

I'm not sure how you would even open it up, maybe the little port on the underside is both a bass vent and also hides a retention screw. otherwise the faceplate is probably glued in so it might need heat or solvent to loosen the glue to pull out the contents of the IEM. If the MMCX connector is still physically sound but you aren't getting sound, you might need the jack to be resoldered.
I think you're probably right that it needs resoldering.

Sep 15, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #15,545 of 15,989
You could check the resistance at the connector, to see if it is shorted (wires twisted together) or or open circuit (wire came loose.) If you manage to untwist the connector slowly and get the expected resistance reading, then you might be able to glue in place and hope it works a while longer. If it is shorted, it could damage your source.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #15,548 of 15,989
Finally had time to finish another set. 2x huayunxin CN10, 2389D and RAU.

IMG_2168.jpegIMG_2166.jpeg2dd%203ba.jpeg

Looks amazing! How did you get the faceplate so nice and flat? What's your review on the RAU drivers?

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #15,549 of 15,989
Looks amazing! How did you get the faceplate so nice and flat? What's your review on the RAU drivers?
Thanks! Do you mean the lacquer on the faceplate? It's not perfect, the camera makes it look better than it is. RAU sounds nice but the massive peak at 7-10k (depending on tubing) makes it difficult to cross while keeping extension. It took a lot of experimenting with cap values and precise damper positioning so that the drivers cancel each other out at the right frequencies.

Sep 28, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #15,551 of 15,989
Anyway here have experience with Amplisound store on AliExpress? They have the same stock as SoundLink but for exactly half the price. Seems to good to be true
I think Amplisound sell drivers in single units, instead of a pair like Soundlink, which would be why some things are half price. I’ve purchased stuff from them in the past and it came in a Soundlink branded box.

Sep 29, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #15,552 of 15,989
Thanks! Do you mean the lacquer on the faceplate? It's not perfect, the camera makes it look better than it is. RAU sounds nice but the massive peak at 7-10k (depending on tubing) makes it difficult to cross while keeping extension. It took a lot of experimenting with cap values and precise damper positioning so that the drivers cancel each other out at the right frequencies.

I see, how does it compare to SWFK? :p Is it harder to implement as well?

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #15,553 of 15,989
I see, how does it compare to SWFK? :p Is it harder to implement as well?
I haven't actually worked with an SWFK, only an e-audio clone. I posted about that set a while back (page 967) but can't really say if it was easier or not as that was my first real multi driver set and I had different goals for it. This time I wanted nice extension without harshness but seems like ESTs are still the better option, I definitely need to try those.

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #15,554 of 15,989
I haven't actually worked with an SWFK, only an e-audio clone. I posted about that set a while back (page 967) but can't really say if it was easier or not as that was my first real multi driver set and I had different goals for it. This time I wanted nice extension without harshness but seems like ESTs are still the better option, I definitely need to try those.
The issue there is SPACE. So much space. You can get almost everything you need on the high end from a 2389 + wbfk/swfk. RAB is a really nice driver too. Ive yet to implement it in my stable of builds. But, yeah, the RAU was intriguing. knowles also just launched their own set of bluetooth earbuds. 😳😬

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #15,555 of 15,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back