Home-Made IEMs
Jan 11, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #14,791 of 15,989
I have a project with BACK open vented DTEC, worried about overdrives and cracking sound but managed to vent them without a problem. I also saw a commercial IEM open BACK DTEC somewhere.

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2023-01-11 o 13.58.19.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-01-11 o 13.58.19.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #14,792 of 15,989
Jan 11, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #14,793 of 15,989
I have a project with BACK open vented DTEC, worried about overdrives and cracking sound but managed to vent them without a problem. I also saw a commercial IEM open BACK DTEC somewhere.
UM early models used this modification on 33AP007. Very easy to damage the housing permanently when you do that. Plus it's really hard to control vent diameter so you end up with big differences between each piece.

Jan 12, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #14,795 of 15,989
yeah, i dont really have the tools/environment to grind the top off safely rn. i might not try with the 33518s cos they look like they are gonna need it at the very least filed off, but there are a few drivers that look like it might be possible to pry the tops off of. then again, if i can be bothered to go to the large amount of effort required, i could probs do it with a hand file safely.
Sandpaper worked, still makes sound.
0AD630F6-DEEB-49B7-B5B9-2AEE11B8170B.jpeg

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #14,798 of 15,989
awesome!! which driver is that? did you send it down by hand or use a machine? im super curious about how it sounds detail wise.
It's a kz 30095, didn't want to risk anything expensive. No machine, just sandpaper on a flat surface. Really wasn't as difficult as it seems. I don't have the time for any builds right now but I might pair it with a dd at some point to see how it sounds.

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #14,799 of 15,989
It's a kz 30095, didn't want to risk anything expensive. No machine, just sandpaper on a flat surface. Really wasn't as difficult as it seems. I don't have the time for any builds right now but I might pair it with a dd at some point to see how it sounds.
brilliant. that gives me a lot of confidence to attempt the same with the 33518s (thankfully they are also cheap). what grit did you use?

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #14,801 of 15,989
now i just need UPS to stop holding on to my drivers, so i can actually test what the feds are like.

reading a little more on what subtonic are doing with their slam drivers... they are basically doing exactly what we were talking about the other day with a dual driver setup using them as individual bass drivers with a crossover on each. but they are also venting the sub-woofer, to maximise that extension. they are using knowles dual woofers. my first guess is the rdi-33438, as that seems like the driver that i think most closely matches what they are describing (or possibly one of the dtec pairs), but this is pure speculation. apparently the drivers initially have coupled contacts, so you have no choice but to use a single crossover for both, and i believe thats what they are talking about when they talk about uncoupling. they talk about the mid-bass driver having an internal chamber, but i think this just means that it doesnt have an external chamber and isnt vented. so, my guess is that to achieve the same things they are, the trick will be to vent one of a dual driver unit, and restrict that vented driver to solely sub-bass. allowing the mid-bass to display maximum speed, while having the slow rumble/decay of a vented driver in the sub-bass. obviously i dont have drivers on hand to test this, so its all speculation for now.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #14,803 of 15,989
imo it looks like subtonic are going the all electronics route, with minimal damping given the 7 way crossover. which imo is probs a good move as the iems that play at the top of the game for detail seem to avoid extensive damping (for example the 64 audio tia design). i think it would be pretty simple to create a decent bass shelf purely with crossovers. so no need for even acupass. that mixed with a 33518 with the top sanded off as a highs driver, i may be getting close to that level. obviously i may end up with tia-like spiky treble, but as long as it doesnt get harsh, im fine with that. the tia fourté has a second tia driver for the low-mids, with a normal driver for the upper mids. according to 64 audio, at the time they couldnt find an upper-mids driver that could be used with the top removed. but its been like 6 years since that came out, so there may be good alternatives.

its legitimately awesome that two high-end brands have been pushing the limits of what ba drivers can do both in the highs and lows. i could seriously see an all ba iem having the punch and slam of dd bass, with the extension and detail of est highs. and losing none of the coherency that is lost the second you get into hybrid and tribrid designs. obviously this would require both subtonic and 64 audio to work together on something given all the patent bs. but for a non-commercial diy recipe we might be able to get close.

Jan 12, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #14,804 of 15,989
imo it looks like subtonic are going the all electronics route, with minimal damping given the 7 way crossover. which imo is probs a good move as the iems that play at the top of the game for detail seem to avoid extensive damping (for example the 64 audio tia design). i think it would be pretty simple to create a decent bass shelf purely with crossovers. so no need for even acupass. that mixed with a 33518 with the top sanded off as a highs driver, i may be getting close to that level. obviously i may end up with tia-like spiky treble, but as long as it doesnt get harsh, im fine with that. the tia fourté has a second tia driver for the low-mids, with a normal driver for the upper mids. according to 64 audio, at the time they couldnt find an upper-mids driver that could be used with the top removed. but its been like 6 years since that came out, so there may be good alternatives.

its legitimately awesome that two high-end brands have been pushing the limits of what ba drivers can do both in the highs and lows. i could seriously see an all ba iem having the punch and slam of dd bass, with the extension and detail of est highs. and losing none of the coherency that is lost the second you get into hybrid and tribrid designs. obviously this would require both subtonic and 64 audio to work together on something given all the patent bs. but for a non-commercial diy recipe we might be able to get close.
Those drivers are 💯 proprietary drivers. Your journey will be arduous.

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #14,805 of 15,989
Those drivers are 💯 proprietary drivers. Your journey will be arduous.
even if they get drivers customised from a manufacturer, they still need to get to that point via experimentation. sure 64 audio have an exclusive contract for the tia drivers, but first they found out what they wanted via modifying off the shelf drivers. there's no way we can achieve the quality assurance of mass produced drivers, but there is no reason we can't get say 90% of the performance by modifying off the shelf drivers in the same way.

their designs don't just appear from nowhere. and knowles/sonion arent about to do the research themselves then limit sales to a single brand. we can glean most of how they managed it via marketing materials. both subtonic and 64 audio have written and posted articles on how they achieve their performance. im just making plans to replicate what they said they did, and see if i can get similar results.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back