Home-Made IEMs
Jan 10, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #14,776 of 15,989
Funnily enough that was one of the first configuration I built in early 2013.
From the description I'd say guys at Subtonic could be doing something of that sorts, but I really can't say for sure.
Overall I haven't revisited this type of wiring since back in the day (which I guess is telling). You might be actually better off just using say 2x3300 instead of single 3300 with split wiring - more headroom, less distortion and overall more control of the fr response as you could additionally play with resistance/inductance of each unit.
THE MAN always shows up when needed! I would think that a split would for sure lower the headroom that was designed for the driver as one driver would be pushing sub and another pushing bass. Meanwhile, I just wish Sonion sold the 3300 and 3800 pre-wired in parallel. Lol.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #14,777 of 15,989
From the description I'd say guys at Subtonic could be doing something of that sorts, but I really can't say for sure.
Overall I haven't revisited this type of wiring since back in the day (which I guess is telling). You might be actually better off just using say 2x3300 instead of single 3300 with split wiring - more headroom, less distortion and overall more control of the fr response as you could additionally play with resistance/inductance of each unit.

Definitely agree here! Seems like unless you're limited by budget or space, it'll always be better just to use another driver for the same purpose.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #14,778 of 15,989
If you block one of the vents, you could physically do something similar. And try adding a vent to a sealed driver to use as a sub. I've posted this before, but this sonion driver is similar to a CI
Sonion 20x53 vented test.jpg
Driver used in this 4BA with tuning switches, worked out great.
Switched crossover white damper.jpg

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #14,779 of 15,989
thanks for the info!
yeah the slam drivers look to be separated dual driver setups. pretty cool, tho probs not very achievable as a DIYer. (at least not without dismantling one of their iems lol)

Definitely agree here! Seems like unless you're limited by budget or space, it'll always be better just to use another driver for the same purpose.
i am limited on space as the design im going for is entirely in the ear canal. i cant fill up the concha with like a dozen drivers and still get the optimal position for the mic on my tws design. just trying to mess around with ideas to get maximum detail with minimal driver counts/driver sizes. hence tia like tubeless highs driver, and ferrofluid mids.

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #14,780 of 15,989
THE MAN always shows up when needed! I would think that a split would for sure lower the headroom that was designed for the driver as one driver would be pushing sub and another pushing bass. Meanwhile, I just wish Sonion sold the 3300 and 3800 pre-wired in parallel. Lol.
I don't think that will happen since a lot of people use them wired in series.

Jan 10, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #14,781 of 15,989
I essentially calibrate and test the drivers as identical as I can get to the manufacturer test conditions. Also, I wanted an EQ that is SUPER malleable with an external Eq. But, yes, the bass was a bit TOO lacking.
fair yeah. the reason i ask is that most iems and headphones have a pinna gain at 2-3k, like the harman curve. to make the upper mids and lower highs sound more natural (closer to what a typical ear hears), then they look flatter when compensating for the target curve. the flatter response on top is compensated (compensated to crins ief neutral), with the grayed out curve below being the raw measurement.
ER4SR-1024x472.jpg

your flat raw measurements kinda threw me, but i guess if the design takes EQ really well, that would be pretty easy to add pinna gain in software.

Jan 10, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #14,782 of 15,989
fair yeah. the reason i ask is that most iems and headphones have a pinna gain at 2-3k, like the harman curve. to make the upper mids and lower highs sound more natural (closer to what a typical ear hears), then they look flatter when compensating for the target curve. the flatter response on top is compensated (compensated to crins ief neutral), with the grayed out curve below being the raw measurement.
ER4SR-1024x472.jpg

your flat raw measurements kinda threw me, but i guess if the design takes EQ really well, that would be pretty easy to add pinna gain in software.
I compare raw eq then make adjustments, after the set-up, by ear. My FR are always raw and always calibrated to the same peak of 130dB. That way all measurements are standardized across the 8 different driver configurations I currently build.

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #14,784 of 15,989
Also, I no longer reference the Harmin curve. I use the updated Knowles curve with the extended high shelf.

Oh where is this, I'd like to take a look too :p

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #14,786 of 15,989
thats pretty much exactly where i ended up with my own personal tweaks. adding back in the highs on iems with a harman like curve feels like you just took an earplug out of your ear. sooooo much more detail and air. without much in the way of sibilance or sharpness.
edit: (admittedly, i think i may have some hearing damage, so i may have lost some highs. tho i have yet to have my ears properly tested)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #14,787 of 15,989
anyone tried sanding off or opening up the top of any drivers? im half tempted to order two pairs of rab-33518s (the automated production version of wbfk-30095), so i can attempt to delid one pair. reading 64 audio's description of how they came to the tia design mentions that they first came across the advantages of their design by sanding off the tops to expose the diaphragm.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #14,788 of 15,989
anyone tried sanding off or opening up the top of any drivers? im half tempted to order two pairs of rab-33518s (the automated production version of wbfk-30095), so i can attempt to delid one pair. reading 64 audio's description of how they came to the tia design mentions that they first came across the advantages of their design by sanding off the tops to expose the diaphragm.
Wanted to try that with some kz drivers but I imagine the metal dust could cause issues. I'll give it a try when I have the time.

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #14,789 of 15,989
There's 33AP007 if you are looking for non-vented solution
3800-pre wired would be a custom part - they do exists but not available unless in x kpcs
Yup pretty much.

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #14,790 of 15,989
Wanted to try that with some kz drivers but I imagine the metal dust could cause issues. I'll give it a try when I have the time.
yeah, i dont really have the tools/environment to grind the top off safely rn. i might not try with the 33518s cos they look like they are gonna need it at the very least filed off, but there are a few drivers that look like it might be possible to pry the tops off of. then again, if i can be bothered to go to the large amount of effort required, i could probs do it with a hand file safely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back