Home-Made IEMs
Jun 14, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #14,087 of 15,989
I'm sorry but which Samsung model we are talking about? I didn't realise Samsung offered something similar to the Sony Just ear. And the UE Fits use 10mm dynamic drivers only so they are not hybrid AFAIK. Just want to make sure we are on the same page here.

I'm thinking about building my first CIEM, 1DD+1BA hybrid, no crossover, pure acoustic tuning. Already got my ear impressions done, both open mouth and relaxed mouth. Though I need to get one of those 711 couplers.

The Sony Just ear project is helmed by chief engineer Tomohiro Matsuo, one of the top sound/headphone engineers in Japan (if not the world). So I don't expect to get anywhere close to what they've achieved. Matsuo-san was not a big fan of 3D printing tech but I do have access to 3D printers myself so I can fiddle with internal acoustic structures, just for the fun of it. I know what caps, resistors and dampers do but still a bit of a layman in tuning. It will be appreciated if someone can point me to a place where I can learn some more acoustic tuning techniques especially for IEMs.
Did you get any further with your hybrid plans? I've not used a DD before but picked up a couple and am curious to see what can be done.

The drivers I have don't have a spout but do have a metal casing and maybe a 3mm hole in the middle, so I'm thinking of gluing a 3mm ID tube on them, step it down to 2mm and treat them like BAs (no 3D printer for anything fancy in the shell). Presumably a small hole in the shell is needed for venting but other than that are there any major differences in how you treat a DD to a BA?

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #14,088 of 15,989
Heya head fi friends!
I have a single DD iem thats fully 3d printable in resin and FDM! I would absolutely love some feedback to those curious about this, as it hosts only 10mm drivers currently. You are able to edit the design so whatever you desire as well. Just would love some feedback!
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5411333

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #14,089 of 15,989
That looks interesting, but not able to print anything and try. It seems that 3d printing like this is perfectly suited for dd designs. I guess that the lack of examples on here of people using DDs in colloid based shells should probably be a warning..

Keeping an eye out for a Mars 3 but currently no stock anywhere near me

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #14,090 of 15,989
That looks interesting, but not able to print anything and try. It seems that 3d printing like this is perfectly suited for dd designs. I guess that the lack of examples on here of people using DDs in colloid based shells should probably be a warning..

Keeping an eye out for a Mars 3 but currently no stock anywhere near me
The Saturn is AWESOME. Same as the Mars but a MUCH larger build plate for producing batch amount of parts.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #14,091 of 15,989
Hey guys, just wondering if you guys have an idea what driver can be a replacement for UE's TrueTone drivers. It seems like a WBFK without a spout but a top firing one similar to CI-32139 and FED-26849 from Knowles. I'm rebuilding a UE for my friend because he is complaining about an imbalance with turns out is caused by a failed driver.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #14,094 of 15,989
Doesn't the 33649 have a spout? Is there a specific model? Can you link me to one?
Unfortunately there is no documentation on google indexed, you would have to ask the knowles for the data sheet. For sure 33649 is without spout and the construction of this wbfk is identical to the ue18+

It's hard to buy, you should have to get the minimum 25*palette through some distributor or wait for mouser stock. These days it's probably better to put 2x2*2389 half coil and make mod to UE 18 ver 1.0, or replace one driver to 30095 (cut the spout by scalpel) or both sides to 30095+UE wbfk.

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #14,095 of 15,989
My friend and I want to try something crazy and we came up with this idea:

What if we make 2 DD drivers face each other, reverse the polarity of one of the driver and high pass it. And maybe add a very small resistor to the other one to solve the phase issue or something idk. Would that give us a clean and aggressive HF cut?

a quick 3d model to demonstrate our idea:

1656039566835.png

Has anyone tried this idea?
If yes please let me know the result, thanks a lot!

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #14,096 of 15,989
Unfortunately there is no documentation on google indexed, you would have to ask the knowles for the data sheet. For sure 33649 is without spout and the construction of this wbfk is identical to the ue18+

It's hard to buy, you should have to get the minimum 25*palette through some distributor or wait for mouser stock. These days it's probably better to put 2x2*2389 half coil and make mod to UE 18 ver 1.0, or replace one driver to 30095 (cut the spout by scalpel) or both sides to 30095+UE wbfk.
hmmm weird, mouser's documentation for this is the whole 3000 family. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Knowles/WBFK-33649-000?qs=BJlw7L4Cy7%2BcFIha2UVLlQ== and this has spout on it :D

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #14,097 of 15,989

What if we make 2 DD drivers face each other, reverse the polarity of one of the driver and high pass it. And maybe add a very small resistor to the other one to solve the phase issue or something idk. Would that give us a clean and aggressive HF cut?

1656039566835.png

Wouldn't you get the same slope as the slope of the high-passed driver? You can try though.

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #14,098 of 15,989

1656039566835.png

Couple of years ago there's already have DIYer's doing it.

Snap35.png
Snap36.png

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #14,099 of 15,989

1656039566835.png

I think this is the same as AAWxCustom Art Isobaric layout and JH Audio's Jolene Dual driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back