Home-Made IEMs
Apr 27, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #13,936 of 15,996
An alternate method for building faceplates is to get a small diameter shallow glass bowl. Pour your resin, then mix in whatever colorants or effects you want. I then cure mine for a minute to solidify, then pour glycerin on top to finish. This prevents the inhibition layer which I hate messing with. It also allows for depth and light effect.s in the faceplate. You have to cut in half then sand down and shape a little more, but final finish is Laq3 anyway so covers imperfections and is worth the effort in my opinion. Of course, I've used the two sheets of glass which works well but it doesnt appear as three dimensional as the deeper blanks. I have attached some examples.

Attachments

• glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #13,937 of 15,996
Parallel:
1)28uap's full range, maybe in series with each other?
2)E50, single cap high pass
3) And a resistor. Resistor is optional if the mid is full range, but you need the resistor if you high pass all those drivers. Plus, this is perfect to adjust bass because it leaves 2khz and up 99% unaffected. Plus it acts like an L-pad to mitigate impedance of those drivers.

Then 38d1xj in series (after all that) with a cap (100+uf )in parallel for low pass. Get the 38d1xj electrically out of the way at higher frequencies, and if you switch in more caps here you can adjust the bass shelf.

I posted a better circuit description with some pictures earlier in the thread, the one with the switches and trimpot. It was 4BA Sonion 20x53, 23x62, and knowles 33803, low/mid/high respectively. Sounded good, I'd use that circuit again but probably skip the trimpot, pretty cool but not worth the hassle.

Edit: adding dayton imm6 curve of the 4BA for clarity:

Switched crossover white damper.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #13,940 of 15,996
Has anyone installed something like the etymotic ER-15 filter for custom and universal musicians earphones? If so, what does that look like? What does it sound like? and would you do it again?

I'm exploring a hybrid type earpiece that can vent by in a restricted fashion. A number of my friends an colleagues serve at their local churches. A LOT of these types of people are asking for some venting or room ambiance without sacrificing overall performance of the IEMs.

Thoughts? Concerns? Knowing my luck, @piotrus-g already holds the international patent on the process and production. I will probably owe him financial compensation...

lol😬😬😬🤨🤨

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #13,941 of 15,996
Has anyone installed something like the etymotic ER-15 filter for custom and universal musicians earphones? If so, what does that look like? What does it sound like? and would you do it again?

I'm exploring a hybrid type earpiece that can vent by in a restricted fashion. A number of my friends an colleagues serve at their local churches. A LOT of these types of people are asking for some venting or room ambiance without sacrificing overall performance of the IEMs.

Thoughts? Concerns? Knowing my luck, @piotrus-g already holds the international patent on the process and production. I will probably owe him financial compensation...

lol😬😬😬🤨🤨
Is there a venting system from Custom Art? The only one I know of is from FiR and 64 Audio. UE and Vision Ears now have venting systems too but pretty sure not for ambience.

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #13,942 of 15,996
Heya all, just wanted to ask, has anyone here or so made a DIY iem but universal? I'd be curious to see who has made ones like that and if they offer their own models.
I only make UIEMs because my ear canals are very small which makes CIEMs hard to build, plus this way other people can try them. There's a link to some of my shells on page 920 but you'll have to add the bores either in meshmixer or drill them.

May 1, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #13,945 of 15,996
I've only made universals, none for sale.

For hearing ambient sounds, there are some noise canceling tws earbuds that do this, and you can adjust how much is blended in. I forget which ones.

Other solution is looser fit, or some vent, but either way you lose bass.

May 1, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #13,946 of 15,996
Can anyone help me with a simple series/parallel query? I put together a quad of RABs, 2 sets of 2 in parallel, each set connected in series. Only now that I've wired it up (and it was very fiddly) have I realised that I could have wired it slightly differently with 2 sets of 2 in series, each set wired in parallel.

Now I'm not sure if I've made a mistake. It works fine but I don't understand how this changes how the drivers interact with each other. I plan on adding a zobel across the whole set later

Thanks

May 1, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #13,947 of 15,996
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Maybe if you crossed them differently and had each driver playing something slightly different within one pair, it could have a small effect.

But there shouldn't be any difference as you describe.

May 1, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #13,948 of 15,996
Thanks. Will leave it as is then. I won't be doing anything more complicated but may open one of more of the vents.

The plan is to add this to my UM3X drivers as I have that apart anyway. No idea how to judge the blend, so was thinking of adding a trim pot.

Does this sound worth doing? Any obvious mistakes? Thanks again!

Edit: looks like I drew the CI polarity wrong, but you know what I mean

UM3X and RAB.png

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #13,949 of 15,996

lol😬😬😬🤨🤨
I think in that case Mr. Jerry Harvey might be the one though I might be wrong.
Something similar would be also a subject of patent of one Stephen Ambrose of Asius Technology or what you might know as ADEL module.
APEX is slightly different than ADEL

Anyways vented shells have been around for some time, I think using regular Knowles filter would put you in a green for commercial use.

May 2, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #13,950 of 15,996
Hello
I'm trying to make my first IEM. I was going for masm 7, but I cannot find any stores that sell Bellsing 10013 driver.
So I was thinking masm 3 pro, but I'm afraid it might have too much treble. I am sensitive to hissing.
Can someone please recommend a receipt that has similar characteristics to MASM 7?
I am looking for vocal and high with some bass. If MASM 3 pro does not have hissing, I am willing to go with it.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back