Home-Made IEMs
Jun 6, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #12,871 of 15,989
It's actually not ER4 as Fyre did a response, looks like, they added less resistance to ED and that's why uppermid didn't rise as ety did
FB_IMG_1623026211161.jpg
ER4 is 20ohm standard with green damper at end of 8mm tube

KB ear tube seems to shorter than that and the series resistance also seems to look smaller

This is the old classic ER4 design and it has nothing to do with ER4SR and XR
Doesn't seem to stop owners of both and or an ER3 from making the comparison however.

But I think most importantly. Would this qualify as a good implementation of the ED-29689 in a vacuum? Can it be one upped with a $50 budget at whatever the Neon was going for?

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #12,872 of 15,989
Doesn't seem to stop owners of both and or an ER3 from making the comparison however.

But I think most importantly. Would this qualify as a good implementation of the ED-29689 in a vacuum? Can it be one upped with a $50 budget at whatever the Neon was going for?
first of all, no gear is tested in vacuum
second
Since you are not an OG member(old generation), you dont know etymotic significance
it was never sound quality or specs or anything

1. whenever you buy an ER4, you get a document confirming that all the drivers are hand-matched to zero error. They get best lot of ED drivers(tightest tolerance) from knowles and then hand match it and tune and then again hand match your Left and Right pair

2. That IEM defined modern day Neutrality(the Diffuse feild)

Now, lemme answer your question
Any body can up that. Its own cheaper Sibling ER2XR ups it, which doest follow that strict QC.
the Thing is, do you expect 50$ iem to up it in any way

i posted KB ear graph from a friend which shows far more inconsistency
also, you can measure any TOTL iem, and you will still not find the left and right consistency, and theoretical neutral response of ER4.

Also, ER4(with different name, was released in 1989 and with ER4 name in 1991... got refreshed in 2003 and recently into ER4SR and XR)
see the heritage

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #12,873 of 15,989
first of all, no gear is tested in vacuum
second
Since you are not an OG member(old generation), you dont know etymotic significance
it was never sound quality or specs or anything

1. whenever you buy an ER4, you get a document confirming that all the drivers are hand-matched to zero error. They get best lot of ED drivers(tightest tolerance) from knowles and then hand match it and tune and then again hand match your Left and Right pair

2. That IEM defined modern day Neutrality(the Diffuse feild)

Now, lemme answer your question
Any body can up that. Its own cheaper Sibling ER2XR ups it, which doest follow that strict QC.
the Thing is, do you expect 50$ iem to up it in any way

i posted KB ear graph from a friend which shows far more inconsistency
also, you can measure any TOTL iem, and you will still not find the left and right consistency, and theoretical neutral response of ER4.

Also, ER4(with different name, was released in 1989 and with ER4 name in 1991... got refreshed in 2003 and recently into ER4SR and XR)
see the heritage
I... Wonder if everything I said is pointless in the end and apologies mainly for not cutting to the chase yet.

Big brother' right eardrum got ruptured somewhere around 5 years ago. It seems that it only partially healed since.

The apparent consequences of this is that his hearing appears normal... Until he uses virtually any kind of headgear for more than 30 minutes inflicts pain to his right ear. Forcing him to take the left earbud off.

This happens with apparently all kinds of headgear we have currebtly available. But this appears to not happen at all with loudspeakers.

What we never tried however because none of us own anything like it yet is. Give my brother a BA IEM. I can only wonder if it's worth the try.

But another tricky part is that he's well... Not an audiophile. He doesn't understand any kind of audio jargon. For all I know he may not care either.

So the only real competition in this context is some free Huawei earbuds. And I guess that's all I need to match.

I read a review of a hybrid 1DD, 1BA IEM mentioning a similar accident that resulted in a damaged eardrum that also only partially healed. So pain would eventually develop on most of his headgear. He isolated that he had a problem with DD treble. So he got a CVJ CSA if Im not mistaken and everything has been back to normal for him since.

Not saying a BA will work since that'd be anecdotal fallacy if I did. But I wonder if it's worth the try.

Edit: and yes this probably means I'm using my brother as a scapegoat to make an IEM.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #12,874 of 15,989
I... Wonder if everything I said is pointless in the end and apologies mainly for not cutting to the chase yet.

Big brother' right eardrum got ruptured somewhere around 5 years ago. It seems that it only partially healed since.

The apparent consequences of this is that his hearing appears normal... Until he uses virtually any kind of headgear for more than 30 minutes inflicts pain to his right ear. Forcing him to take the left earbud off.

This happens with apparently all kinds of headgear we have currebtly available. But this appears to not happen at all with loudspeakers.

What we never tried however because none of us own anything like it yet is. Give my brother a BA IEM. I can only wonder if it's worth the try.

But another tricky part is that he's well... Not an audiophile. He doesn't understand any kind of audio jargon. For all I know he may not care either.

So the only real competition in this context is some free Huawei earbuds. And I guess that's all I need to match.

I read a review of a hybrid 1DD, 1BA IEM mentioning a similar accident that resulted in a damaged eardrum that also only partially healed. So pain would eventually develop on most of his headgear. He isolated that he had a problem with DD treble. So he got a CVJ CSA if Im not mistaken and everything has been back to normal for him since.

Not saying a BA will work since that'd be anecdotal fallacy if I did. But I wonder if it's worth the try.

Edit: and yes this probably means I'm using my brother as a scapegoat to make an IEM.
why did ear damage happen,
first your brother blast music(ask him seriously, if he used to do this... all of the peep, who has this problem, go max volume brrr full power)
second
any hybrid, which is not made with leak vent in mind or acoustic leak too restrictive, can cause ear drum to get acoustically loaded in pistonic motion
speaker pushing and pulling eardrum, because DD can do that, very very hard
which fatigue and ruptures eardrum

for his problem, i will suggest etymotic like iem but with 200ohms in mind, so he cannot go very loud

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #12,875 of 15,989
Hi, I would like to start with the BS6, but the 10013 is hardly available. Can I combine two Bellsing 30017s and a Knowles 30008 (Bellsing DTEC is hard to get...)?
I am not sure, it could work.
The BS6 has a small crossover circuit you'ld have to rebuild. I reverse engineered one and posted the details here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/post-15008852

If Knowles DTEC has a similar impedance curve as the Bellsing DTEC this might work.

But this is no longer a simple/beginner build. Maybe try to do a Finale 2 instead?

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #12,876 of 15,989
I am not sure, it could work.
The BS6 has a small crossover circuit you'ld have to rebuild. I reverse engineered one and posted the details here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/post-15008852

If Knowles DTEC has a similar impedance curve as the Bellsing DTEC this might work.

But this is no longer a simple/beginner build. Maybe try to do a Finale 2 instead?
Thanks very much for the reply! I will try to find the datasheets to compare the Knowled and Bellsing DTEC.

It is alright, I have been modding IEMs and the crossover circuit is simple enough. I am sure I can work it out with your post. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #12,877 of 15,989
Thanks very much for the reply! I will try to find the datasheets to compare the Knowled and Bellsing DTEC.

It is alright, I have been modding IEMs and the crossover circuit is simple enough. I am sure I can work it out with your post. Thanks!
If you can get it to work it would be a service to the community. The BS6+Z is a very good build and it would be too bad if it was not possible to replicate.

Jun 9, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #12,878 of 15,989
Hi, I now have my measurement microphone with 711 and am trying to measure my IEMs with REW on my MacBook Pro.
Now I have the problem that the MacBook behaves strangely because the low frequencies are not displayed correctly. All IEMs look the same at the bottom. On my iPad the microphone works without any problem. Is there a setting on the Mac that I can't find for the 3.5mm TRRS connector?
6E11749B-E5C6-44E5-BEEC-5B41F09E736A.jpeg

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #12,879 of 15,989
Hi, I now have my measurement microphone with 711 and am trying to measure my IEMs with REW on my MacBook Pro.
Now I have the problem that the MacBook behaves strangely because the low frequencies are not displayed correctly. All IEMs look the same at the bottom. On my iPad the microphone works without any problem. Is there a setting on the Mac that I can't find for the 3.5mm TRRS connector?6E11749B-E5C6-44E5-BEEC-5B41F09E736A.jpeg
Are you sure this isn’t just a bad seal?

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #12,884 of 15,989
I have no idea why that would be the case. What type of mic/adc do you use?
I use an Umik-1 with its built in USB adc and I don’t have such problems.
An China 711 with 3,5 jack. I have ordert an external USB soundcard.
I think I once read that the internal MacBook sound cards have pop protection on the microphone. But I can no longer find the article.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #12,885 of 15,989
Yes, they look very different. Maybe the closer knowles driver is the hodtec or hodvtec. The Sonion 33AJ007i/9 also might be a replacement.
Do you or does anyone have any experience with other Bellsing drivers such as 70004, 90020, 90010? I should be able buy directly from Bellsing and these models seem interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back