Home-Made IEMs
Feb 1, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #12,244 of 16,073
If you lpad the 38D1XJ00 = 12.5 ohms connected in parallel for a 3db attenuation for example
We will need 3.65 ohm serial resistor and a 30.3 parallel resistor = 12.5 ohms

Or a single resistor 5.16 ohms = 17.76 ohms for a 3 db attenuation.

Increasing the value of the series resistor , the attenuation will be also increased but the parallel resistor must be also calculated and the impedance of the driver must be also taken into consideration.

For zero attenuation must be a zero ohm serial resistor and an infinite ohm resistor in parallel.

This will change what amplifier sees but will not change the drivers impedance as I know.

The zobel is what flattens the impedance of the driver Close to the dc resistance
Will be flat especially at mid to high frequencies,
At low frequencies will still be a big raise on impedance.

What this means zobel is not suggested for low frequencies and sub woofers. Will cause only phase and delay issues if we gonna do our crossover point very low and use zobel as I know.

What all that means is, if I do lpad attenuator and second order low pass filter or a zobel with a second order low pass filter to the 38D1XJ00 and go with a single cap or single resistor or lpad on 2389D and a single cap on EST65QB02 , acoustic phase issues and delay issues will occur on a multi BA build with poor sound quality Is mpossible to make a good 3 way crossover this way. Isn't that easy.

I don't see any advantages using zobel or lpad when I'm building a multi way iem when I can simply ad a driver and match impedance series parallel.

My conclusion.
The best way to go is with second order linkwitz - Riley crossover and inverted polarity to the mid driver ( 2389D ) with zero phase or delay issues.

Or go with single caps and single resistors
Better than this doesn't exist I believe.
Zobel can be used on woofer to damp it's high rising inductance

You can add it to any individual driver as long as it's BA

If we are talking about combined circuit with bass frequency impedance higher than mids

Your basic capacitor zobel won't work and you might need inductive zobel
I mean, it's possible to make it but inductor even in smd size are big

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #12,246 of 16,073
Second attempt. It won't go any deeper than this. Wasn't able to get all of the external ear either.
Guess I'm getting that syringe after all. Another month.

DSC06195.JPG

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #12,248 of 16,073
Hey guys ... What do you use for glueing tubes on driver ? I have a habit of putting a drop of super glue to hold well. But the part that closes all the holes at the connection between the tube and the driver bothers me so that there are no leaks. So far I’ve put on epoxy but it doesn’t turn out neatly and stays a bit sticky. In the end it turns yellow and looks really ugly. I'm thinking instead of epoxy stretch UV gel or Fotoplast and cure it. Has anyone tried it?

Oh, and i also first put 1 ID tube, then i put 2 ID over it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_195416.jpg
    IMG_20210202_195416.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #12,249 of 16,073
Hey guys ... What do you use for glueing tubes on driver ? I have a habit of putting a drop of super glue to hold well. But the part that closes all the holes at the connection between the tube and the driver bothers me so that there are no leaks. So far I’ve put on epoxy but it doesn’t turn out neatly and stays a bit sticky. In the end it turns yellow and looks really ugly. I'm thinking instead of epoxy stretch UV gel or Fotoplast and cure it. Has anyone tried it?

Oh, and i also first put 1 ID tube, then i put 2 ID over it.
I'm a fan of bondic. It's a uv activated glue that is viscous so it doesn't drip everywhere. I tried the non fuming superglue..409?...and it flowed too quickly. I quit using after ruining a few drivers.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #12,253 of 16,073
I usually use superglue since the bond's quite strong and the tube doesn't tear off as easily from bending.

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #12,255 of 16,073
Hi can anybody help me?

I'm a total noob on this. My background is for the arts, no engineering whatsoever, but I'm relatively good at math.
I have a ci-22955 + ed-29869 + twfk-30017 drivers here. Can anyone suggest a good crossover configuration?

I can do everything else. My only problem is how will I tune the drivers using a crossover. TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back