Home-Made IEMs
Nov 8, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #10,352 of 16,107
Hey @dhruvmeena96, can you explain what is half tap and center tap is and what it does to drivers.
Half Tap or center tap is the same thing
it means, you are using the center tap as your terminal rather than a positive or a negative
if you centertap with positive terminal free, Centertap becomes positive
same with negative terminal

it taps in between your driver inductor coil or voice coil
reducing the Impedance and inductive kick of driver and make it act like a tweeter
how does it act like a tweeter...

well, now you have a driver which has less impedance(flatter too) with half the inductive nature plus the unused coil dampens the response of bass as it makes the driver to come out less in low frequency(Less excursion)

Helps ED29689 to have less mids and bass and flatter impedance helps in better crossing

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #10,353 of 16,107
Nice @dhruvmeena96 , but how do you measure/know inductance of drivers? I can’t find any paper about inductance of balanced armatures. This would really help me making zobel circuit.

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #10,354 of 16,107
Nice @dhruvmeena96 , but how do you measure/know inductance of drivers? I can’t find any paper about inductance of balanced armatures. This would really help me making zobel circuit.
will post the formula soon/ actually the whole paper
there is an easy formula which gives nearby inductance
and a complex formula which will take pages when calculating

but both are long and you might have to find Cmes and other parameter first
and it is very long

i might make a calculator app for this

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #10,355 of 16,107
will post the formula soon/ actually the whole paper
there is an easy formula which gives nearby inductance
and a complex formula which will take pages when calculating

but both are long and you might have to find Cmes and other parameter first
and it is very long

i might make a calculator app for this
Ahh it doesn’t matter how many pages it’ll take, I’m good at math lol. I’ll read both papers as soon as you post them. Gimme them knowledge!

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #10,358 of 16,107
here I have just measured...you could have done it yourself though...iirc it's not the first time you are asking.
1.JPG
grey center tap
yellow regular. (no tubing,no damper. spout against the mic for both)
2.JPG
red impedance response is the regular
green center tapped.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #10,359 of 16,107
here I have just measured...you could have done it yourself though...iirc it's not the first time you are asking.

grey center tap
yellow regular. (no tubing,no damper. spout against the mic for both)

red impedance response is the regular
green center tapped.
Thanks
@ForceMajeure

What if
We parallel centertap CI and add a zobel and a series resistor of 20ohms

And then use just a tube shared by the both spouts.

It might sound like ER4 with slight warmth

But from what I feel

The CI-22955 looks like a amazing fullrange to me now

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #10,360 of 16,107
rzvY8dX
Got my first “perfect” shell. If only I knew to shake the damn fotoplast.

I swear, they’re only good past 2 AM.

I spoke to Chris at Lightning Enterprises, and he said that they will have Fotoplast S IO LV some time soon, whenever they order next.

https://imgur.com/gallery/rzvY8dX not sure if link works

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #10,362 of 16,107
Hi guys,

Newbie here, my journey begun in ChiFi world with TRN V90 then Blon 03, started a small FLAC files collection and a cheap Apple USB-C DAC, everythig has been a great experience for my ears. I'm well aware that there are a lot of areas for improvement in my current setup. About month ago I was getting ready for 11.11 looking for an IEM upgrade when I ended up discovering CIEM wonders. One thing led to another (thanks @guiping0922 for adding the Zobel notes in the description and diagram in Soundlink's Ali store) and ended up reading every post in here since the Bellsing 10013 Zobel creation. Tried to read, digest and understand as much as possible according to my abilities before starting to ask stupid questions, my shopping list has been in changing constantly, now here I'm with my stupid questions anyway.

I'm aiming for the MASM 7 in an universal fit shell for now, worst case scenario (which is not bad at all and was my initial plan), I end up with BS6Z and also with a pair of RAB drivers for another set.

1. If I understand correctly MASM 7 is BS6Z + any of the different RAB flavors. Because I'm looking for the most balanced profile and details I think RAB32063 will be the one to choose. is this correct?
2. Is this the correct Zobel for the RAB32063 in this setup?
Rz= 38ohms
Cz= 5uF
3. What is the tubing size and configuration for RAB32063, In case 1.2mm ID is needed, what would be better to substitute with, 1.0mm or 1.50mm ID?
Outside tube: 2mmID 16mm length
Inside tube: 1mmID 2mmOD. 4mm length, 2mm space, 2mm length
4. RAB32063 requires no dampers right ?
5. I have LOCA tp-2500F (phone screen UV glue) is this good enough for glueing spout/tubes and or faceplates?
6. In case that 5. answer is no, what is recommended for glueing spout/tubes and what should be avoided ? (I was not able to find bluetac on Ali).
7. Do you think is possible to fit MASM 7 in this shell https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000286095395.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.18e73c002YdEGQ&mp=1 ?
8. Way less important, any suggestion on eartips ?

Thanks in advance for your time and patience, and sorry if I did it hard to read.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #10,363 of 16,107
Hi guys,

Newbie here, my journey begun in ChiFi world with TRN V90 then Blon 03, started a small FLAC files collection and a cheap Apple USB-C DAC, everythig has been a great experience for my ears. I'm well aware that there are a lot of areas for improvement in my current setup. About month ago I was getting ready for 11.11 looking for an IEM upgrade when I ended up discovering CIEM wonders. One thing led to another (thanks @guiping0922 for adding the Zobel notes in the description and diagram in Soundlink's Ali store) and ended up reading every post in here since the Bellsing 10013 Zobel creation. Tried to read, digest and understand as much as possible according to my abilities before starting to ask stupid questions, my shopping list has been in changing constantly, now here I'm with my stupid questions anyway.

I'm aiming for the MASM 7 in an universal fit shell for now, worst case scenario (which is not bad at all and was my initial plan), I end up with BS6Z and also with a pair of RAB drivers for another set.

1. If I understand correctly MASM 7 is BS6Z + any of the different RAB flavors. Because I'm looking for the most balanced profile and details I think RAB32063 will be the one to choose. is this correct?
2. Is this the correct Zobel for the RAB32063 in this setup?
Rz= 38ohms
Cz= 5uF
3. What is the tubing size and configuration for RAB32063, In case 1.2mm ID is needed, what would be better to substitute with, 1.0mm or 1.50mm ID?
Outside tube: 2mmID 16mm length
Inside tube: 1mmID 2mmOD. 4mm length, 2mm space, 2mm length
4. RAB32063 requires no dampers right ?
5. I have LOCA tp-2500F (phone screen UV glue) is this good enough for glueing spout/tubes and or faceplates?
6. In case that 5. answer is no, what is recommended for glueing spout/tubes and what should be avoided ? (I was not able to find bluetac on Ali).
7. Do you think is possible to fit MASM 7 in this shell https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000286095395.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.18e73c002YdEGQ&mp=1 ?
8. Way less important, any suggestion on eartips ?

Thanks in advance for your time and patience, and sorry if I did it hard to read.
1. Yep, i've build one using 32033, it lacks treble, 32063 might be the better choice.
3. didn't we should use 2mm ID? 1.2mm is when you're gonna build a resonator inside the tube? CMIIW
4. Yep, damperless
5. It might be good, but please be cautious of the glue seeping someplace you dont want, such as the BA spout or vent.
6. Stay away from cyanoacrylate based glue, those glue had nasty fumes.
8. Final E Clear, it uplift the treble a little bit and supressing the midbass a bit. Or some cheap KZ Starline, use the smallest size possible, MASM7 sounds better on deep fit, IMO.

Nov 11, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #10,364 of 16,107
Hey guys, just did an interesting measurement of the 10mm planars.

So I got my friend to 3D print an enclosure that fits 2 drivers face to face. Yellow is if I put 1 driver and sealed the other end. Pink is if I put two drivers in parallel, face to face. Green is if I wired them out of phase (just for fun). Are the spikes in green the distortions (as the two drivers should cancel each other out right)?

upload_2019-11-12_2-35-19.png

Nov 11, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #10,365 of 16,107
Hey guys, I got my EST's, but with them, I also ordered the Dreve polishing paste, which they call "Kunstsoff-Polierpaste" Resin polishing paste. I have no clue how to use it. I am guessing a microfiber + a little water and rub the hell out of it. I also got the polishing wheel. Yes, I have lack3 aswell, but I want to try this too.

I appreceate all the tips you guys have about making the shells clear. Glycerin in the shell once its hollow has helped so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back