Home-Made IEMs
Nov 3, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #10,321 of 15,973
Wait

Zobel

Rz= 40.625ohms(have a close approx of 40.5ohms)
Cz= 4uF

Knowles SR32453

So I need a 40ohm resistor and 4 uf cap?
Thanks again, and can I ask, how do you get these values?
The resistor should match the impedance of the driver? And the cap?

Sorry if I ask to many questions, I downloaded a lot of info on The subject but ended up more lost :wink:

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #10,322 of 15,973

Sorry if I ask to many questions, I downloaded a lot of info on The subject but ended up more lost :wink:
some derivation from basics to find the inductance of SR(simulations etc).
will need a lot of study before getting in this part

derivation and study would be pretty big if i post here and its my research i am working on right now. how to find thiele parameters and diaphragm weight etc of a BA

still working on it, when its complete for publishing i will share a pdf for it

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #10,323 of 15,973

There’s a common formular:
R=1.25*Z
C=L/R^2
Z is the impedance of the driver
L is the inductance of the driver

The problem is to find the inductance of said driver tho.

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #10,324 of 15,973
Thanks again, ordered the Sr and a couple sets of rab, now just wait.......

Thank you all for your help and understanding, me and the wife appreciate your help :beerchug:

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #10,325 of 15,973
Anyone tried dual RAF + RAB 32257 + a dual tweeter?
I'm thinking RAF series, 20ohm series
RAB 32063
all in zobel 41ohm 4.6uF
then SWFK crossed in 940nF

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #10,326 of 15,973
Anyone tried dual RAF + RAB 32257 + a dual tweeter?
I'm thinking RAF series, 20ohm series
RAB 32063
all in zobel 41ohm 4.6uF
then SWFK crossed in 940nF

What you can do is

Dual RAF series + RAB32063 parallel fullrange

You will get 14.67 DCR
20.97 @500Hz

Inductance would be 4.93mH
Zobel would be
7.2uF and 26ohms

Then SWFK zobel is
9uF and 8.25ohms

Cross it more carefully now as normal cap value won't work..

Now the issue is that where you cross SWFK, you will see impedance drop from 20ohms to 6ohms in that region of mid to treble transition.

But then you can use inductor and resistor zobel

Since we have Super flat impedance on both crossed tweeter and fullrange woofer(RABx2 series + RAB parallel)

The formula for inductive zobel is more easy and accurate now.

L=C * ((Rt³ * Rw)½)
R= (Rw*Rt)/(Rw + Rt)

C is cap on tweeter (woofer has to be fullrange)
Rt= tweeter resistance(6.6ohms)
Rw= woofer resistance(20.97ohms)

Worry not, inductor would be in microHenries or very small milliHenries. This would be available in SMD I believe.

Zobel on woofer
Zobel on tweeter
Zobel to whole structure...

Triple stack zobel(super flat impedance) and no EMF pushback to amp. More capable to take power but still easily drivable.

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #10,328 of 15,973
Nov 5, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #10,329 of 15,973
What you can do is

Dual RAF series + RAB32063 parallel fullrange

You will get 14.67 DCR
20.97 @500Hz

Inductance would be 4.93mH
Zobel would be
7.2uF and 26ohms

Then SWFK zobel is
9uF and 8.25ohms

Cross it more carefully now as normal cap value won't work..

Now the issue is that where you cross SWFK, you will see impedance drop from 20ohms to 6ohms in that region of mid to treble transition.

But then you can use inductor and resistor zobel

Since we have Super flat impedance on both crossed tweeter and fullrange woofer(RABx2 series + RAB parallel)

The formula for inductive zobel is more easy and accurate now.

L=C * ((Rt³ * Rw)½)
R= (Rw*Rt)/(Rw + Rt)

C is cap on tweeter (woofer has to be fullrange)
Rt= tweeter resistance(6.6ohms)
Rw= woofer resistance(20.97ohms)

Worry not, inductor would be in microHenries or very small milliHenries. This would be available in SMD I believe.

Zobel on woofer
Zobel on tweeter
Zobel to whole structure...

Triple stack zobel(super flat impedance) and no EMF pushback to amp. More capable to take power but still easily drivable.
Oh I read some paper about impedance equalization circuit of speakers, the parallel RC zobel is to flat out the impedance of high frequencies, and then another parallel LRC circuit is to flatten the impedance peak due to Eddy’s current. But it has the very confusing value of Qes and Qms, which I don’t know what they are. The formular is
L=R(driver)*Qes/(2*pi*f)
C=1/(2*pi*f*R*Qes)
R=R(driver)+(R(driver)*Qes)/Qms

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #10,331 of 15,973
Oh I read some paper about impedance equalization circuit of speakers, the parallel RC zobel is to flat out the impedance of high frequencies, and then another parallel LRC circuit is to flatten the impedance peak due to Eddy’s current. But it has the very confusing value of Qes and Qms, which I don’t know what they are. The formular is
L=R(driver)*Qes/(2*pi*f)
C=1/(2*pi*f*R*Qes)
R=R(driver)+(R(driver)*Qes)/Qms
Qes and Qms are part of the Thiele/Small speaker parameters, those we do not have and we do not know how to deduce for balanced armatures. If they are at all applicable to balanced armatures.
Its pretty hard to find all the values, because every value has to be derived in another way and small value effects a lot.

It takes a lot of time to find a driver values...its possible to find only by impedance graph and phase graph...

Well, wait till I derive a common formula with taking error values in it.

The value noted above for zobel works by the way...

Not super exact, but works good and flat

Nov 6, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #10,333 of 15,973
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. You might know me on reddit as u/et1haan on the r/DIEMS forum. I spoke to Gracie of Soundlink, and asked about the 1723 Acupass, which I got the impression was a fantastic driver. Minimum order was 100 drivers, so 50 orders. Are you guys interested? They seem like a simpler (and honestly, better version of the GV quad.)

Also, I am planning on using the new EST65DA01 that they sell, and I was wondering what you guys thought was optimal for tubing. I was thinking a 1mm-2mm (ID) horn, as short as possible, or just 2mm. I have heard that they absolutely do not need a damper. I plan on using it anywhere from 3k to 7k up.

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #10,334 of 15,973
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. You might know me on reddit as u/et1haan on the r/DIEMS forum. I spoke to Gracie of Soundlink, and asked about the 1723 Acupass, which I got the impression was a fantastic driver. Minimum order was 100 drivers, so 50 orders. Are you guys interested? They seem like a simpler (and honestly, better version of the GV quad.)

Also, I am planning on using the new EST65DA01 that they sell, and I was wondering what you guys thought was optimal for tubing. I was thinking a 1mm-2mm (ID) horn, as short as possible, or just 2mm. I have heard that they absolutely do not need a damper. I plan on using it anywhere from 3k to 7k up.
your the one who made SR32453 with white damper in JBL earbud
nice

1723 Acupass is plug and play
it depends which version of 1723 you are going to use
normal 1723 is slightly V-shape and a pretty good driver

there is one with support of external crossover(forgot the actual exact name....the /number part)
that can be tuned according to taste and has way more potential...

but i would love, if they give 1723 without the PCB at back and any type of solder...like raw 1723

that would be crazy fun to tune

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #10,335 of 15,973
your the one who made SR32453 with white damper in JBL earbud
nice

yeah, thats me lol. Heres a link https://www.reddit.com/r/DIEMs/comments/dhl5zn/single_driver_sr32453_build/ and the diagram: https://www.reddit.com/r/DIEMs/comments/dhygor/exploded_view_of_my_last_build/ I also wrote this, https://www.reddit.com/r/DIEMs/comments/cbng8t/a_4_page_paper_of_how_sound_tubes_affect_iems_in/ based off of some findings. It is is open to edits.

I left some impressions of the build on the first page. I was very impressed with that driver. I started the build as re-inspiration to my 6 driver build and it was pretty good at that. With a good source, the sound is quite impressive. Very neutral. That forum isn't doing so well activity wise, so I figured I should join here. FYI: I am a broke HS student, and have not had much experience with high end IEM's, so you may see me compare IEM's to headphones. Sorry, lol.

As for which driver to buy, thats up to you guys. I have no clue if she could buy 50 of one and 50 of another. That would be optimal. If I remember right, she said she would sell for 33 bucks. Not a bad price, especially compared to the GV. The single spout could be very easy for newbies to tune, and by only looking at graphs, I think I would prefer the 1723. However, the GV has 2 spouts, with room for more acoustic tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back