Home-Made IEMs
Oct 17, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #10,231 of 16,011
That both are MASM 7 .
LoL

@stephensynanta16 empty shell can fit the SCARY. Which means the shell is perfect for this thread.

I have a question

I need two drivers
One driver which peaks at 2kHz and 4kHz with dip at 3kHz.

And another driver having peak at 3kHz and small peak at 5kHz.

And both driver should be near in sensitivity and impedance DCR.

I want to tune resonance and decomb them. So I am not damping resonances but using resonance to tune. And resonance, if tuned properly can sound grand.

DML speaker experience
Really?! It's that huge?! SCARY with 10 driver per ear?

This is just out of curiosity, is it the upper limit? or we can shove even more BA into those shell?

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #10,233 of 16,011
Oct 18, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #10,236 of 16,011
I am a complete noob to CAD/CAM. First I refused to buy into that cloud stuff (why can't I export to a STL without going over their servers?) and "free as long as we like" licenses. In fact the Fusion License just changed.

My first try was with FreeCAD which I like a lot more. Really, Fusion trys to hide the mathematical construction and ends up very confusing in comparison. For example why is the distance constraint part of the "Create" menu while the dimension of a circle is part of the circles properties and most other constraints are in the "Constraints" menu?

In FreeCAD this is much clearer, there is additive shapes, substracting shapes and constraints. It's up to you how you constrain the shapes. But it freezes a lot on my mac and it became so annoying that after 5 hours I gave up and recreated the design in Fusion.

Sorry for the rant. Are there any alternatives for the complex shapes we need for IEMs?

And I'm still looking for a way to simulate the acoustic properties, I think Comsol is too expensive for me. Does anyone have ideas on how to do simulation?

https://alternativeto.net/software/comsol/?license=free

Here you go

You might have to learn MATLAB and python. And some prior knowledge on physics too...

https://www.britannica.com/science/sound-physics

And a guide in using those free softwares....as they are very hard to learn compared to Comsol multiphysics

Oct 19, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #10,237 of 16,011
Alright here are pics of my Westone 3 parts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/e3QzqyuLqFCHRo8r6
Its simple crossover between CI and TWFK

Now, you have two routes when reshelling.

Dual bore or single bore.

Dual bore recipie

Both driver with 7mm tube
CI-22955 (1mm ID) Red damper at center
TWFK (2mm ID) brown damper at center

Single bore

7mm (2mm ID) green damper at center

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #10,239 of 16,011
Distancing the bass(Sonion 38D1XJ) driver by 30cm(yes, 300mm or 0.3m)

Review:
Bass feels out of the head. More stereo separation. Less fatigue and BA rumble like dynamic driver without loosing speed. A better feeling compared to Delayed ignition Bass driver(spiral ear).

A very different kind of experience. Not like planar, electrostatic, standard BA or Dynamic. Its very different

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #10,240 of 16,011
Distancing the bass(Sonion 38D1XJ) driver by 30cm(yes, 300mm or 0.3m)

Review:
Bass feels out of the head. More stereo separation. Less fatigue and BA rumble like dynamic driver without loosing speed. A better feeling compared to Delayed ignition Bass driver(spiral ear).

A very different kind of experience. Not like planar, electrostatic, standard BA or Dynamic. Its very different

It goes a lot deeper when you use a "long tube" method, but I feel it sort of makes the sense of space a bit skewed, like some disconnect between treble and bass.

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #10,241 of 16,011
It goes a lot deeper when you use a "long tube" method, but I feel it sort of makes the sense of space a bit skewed, like some disconnect between treble and bass.
Well, time delay kicks in due to long tube..

Well, we can say a slight disconnect on time domain.
But phase was maintained.

Yes, it gets deep

And space moves outside the head and more spread rather than inside the head. And it feels less concentrated

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #10,243 of 16,011
Does anybody have crazy ideas

I am jumping with a lot of weird ideas recently on iem designs.

FED30048 x 2 parallel
ED30761 x 2 parallel
Dynamic driver 8mm

I want to do a dual 10mm planar if there's space haha

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #10,245 of 16,011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back