Home-Made IEMs
Oct 3, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #10,097 of 16,072
Thought this might be interesting for you guys - the Chinese forums tested the THD of three IEMS- UM Mirage, Mentor, and Beyerdynamic Xelento. Turns out the dynamic Xelento has way less distortion than the BA IEMs. The fully open mid-range driver on the Mirage has higher distortion than the stacked mids drivers on the Mentor. The 4x high driver on the Mentor seems to give it really low distortion compared to the 1 driver Mirage.

103257tqsqywy0qiysv87r.jpg

UM Mentor V3: 12BA, 4-way, 4 lows, 2 low-mids, 2 mid-highs, 4 highs, 5-bore (ends with a metal tube) with 1 bore for dB-Go module.
UM Mirage: 3D printed titanium shell, 3BA, 3-way, 1 low, 1 fully open mid, 1 high.
if you remember your Quad RAB on midrange (i guess its yours)

BK + Quad RAB32063 + SWFK

the Quad RAB worked on 1kHz distortion, which gives the driver the effortless feeling

and 1kHz is the hardest point for distortion and the point at which ear is the most sensitive

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #10,098 of 16,072
Oct 3, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #10,099 of 16,072
Stacking driver is best way to reduce distortion. Or shielding BA with steel tape.(stacking drivers in series parallel is best though).

Dont know about SWFK, but that ED was Sonion 2389D. That dual ED needs a good 25ohm resistor and a green + grey damping to sound slightly aggressive ED.

I shielded mine with copper/aluminium tape sometimes. Didn't actually think it'll have an effect on sound! The Chinese drivers sounds pretty good - maybe better than ED. They seem softer and smoother.

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #10,100 of 16,072
if you remember your Quad RAB on midrange (i guess its yours)

BK + Quad RAB32063 + SWFK

the Quad RAB worked on 1kHz distortion, which gives the driver the effortless feeling

and 1kHz is the hardest point for distortion and the point at which ear is the most sensitive

Yeah they sounded really good - I haven't sealed them up to finish them yet though :p But it seems that BA bass is hugely distorting.

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #10,105 of 16,072
On a whim removed spouts from dual RAF set up (drivers are glued up together and inserted in stretched 3mm ID tubing terminating in 2mm ID one).

Very positive impressions so far, better HF extension (almost but not entirely TWFK level) and less of annoying harsh upper minds/low highs resonance that I usually tamed with dampers.

Better slam too :)

I anticipate being able to use dampers with lower resistance (currently 2 white in series) giving even better HF extension without harshness.

In a week’s time I will be able to measure this set up and plan to do spoutless x4 RAB :)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #10,108 of 16,072
Ordered the 1audio PEB-32257(single driver with big cavity, the Pro RAB).

The spec sheet looks promising too

As the specs are same as normal RAB but it has more bass boost and faster bass due to bigger air cavity at back followed by a hidden vent
TB2g6fkpf1TBuNjy0FjXXajyXXa-137677861.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #10,110 of 16,072
hello guys, new avid DIYer here, started my own inner iem experimentations and got the inner works done the way i like it no just need to work on how the outside of the iem works and looks

i bought these off amazon as they had the shape i liked, they are made of alluminum, how do i wipe those letters off the alluminum body without destroying or discoloring the metal.
_i worked hard on these iems and i am proud of them,nothing special biut worked with my son on them for quite the hrs

please help
_DAve

https://imgur.com/dEFA71k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back