Home-Made IEMs
Jul 17, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #9,587 of 15,999
A bit off topic but I can share my experience. The difference between 0.75 and 0.78 is so marginal I haven't noticed any fit issues. Just recently bought a TRN T2 balanced cable and it works fine with all my 0.78 earphones. This cable is really good quality, sounds spacious and solid, there is very little microphonics and it costs less than 10 USD. I will buy it again.
Sorry about this, im new to forums, will be more careful next time. but thanks for the response

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #9,588 of 15,999
A bit off topic but I can share my experience. The difference between 0.75 and 0.78 is so marginal I haven't noticed any fit issues. Just recently bought a TRN T2 balanced cable and it works fine with all my 0.78 earphones. This cable is really good quality, sounds spacious and solid, there is very little microphonics and it costs less than 10 USD. I will buy it again.

Hi almost forgot to ask. What about sound quality any difference?

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #9,589 of 15,999
Hi almost forgot to ask. What about sound quality any difference?
Sound quality is good. At first it sounded boomy and moody, but after 20 or so hours I cannot hear difference between my diy thich silver plated cable and this one. Plus this one is much more comfortable for iem, less microhonics, flexible, lighter.

Jul 17, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #9,590 of 15,999
Jul 18, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #9,591 of 15,999
Jul 18, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #9,592 of 15,999
it is a research driver with highest standards

well, the thing is that, this driver is amazing

well you can use it without damper and a zobel and it will shine the details through... i myself ordered it recently

No wonder I can't find it on Knowles. It's really expensive to use though :p

Jul 18, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #9,593 of 15,999
@Choy Wei De and I am working on a new series

PoorManMonitors(PMM in short form)

Going back to simple, small and very cheap driver builds. The roots to be exact.

And a project I am working on

MASM 3 x Final aka SpeedRecord(Final Damperless DNA, MASM style sound)

3 drivers, no dampers
The most punchy bass (I mean literally BK bass to be exact, but damperless, so expect the speed)

This tuning is all about speed

It can make you think that music is on 1.2x at some instances.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #9,594 of 15,999
@Choy Wei De and I am working on a new series

PoorManMonitors(PMM in short form)

Going back to simple, small and very cheap driver builds. The roots to be exact.

A project I am working on

MASM 3 x Final aka SpeedRecord(Final Damperless DNA, MASM style sound)

3 drivers, no dampers
The most punchy bass (I mean literally BK bass to be exact, but damperless, so expect the speed)

This tuning is all about speed

It can make you think that music is on 1.2x at some instances.
Is this design MASM without damper, same configuration as normal MASM?
Btw I’m think about learning abit of 3D modelling to make the dream Campfire shell lol. I love their design.
Anw does anyone know how campfire iem TAEC technology works? Is it just a big resonator?

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #9,595 of 15,999
Probably it's something that's now on time also in 64 and FiR that is tubeless design, which requires printing plastic parts instead of classic PVC tubes. Tubeless, damperless. The chamber compensates and regulates what the PVC tube and fIlters does classically. In Diy it is practically unprofitable, in mass production so, because you assemble everything like lego bricks and make money without jewelry precision.

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #9,596 of 15,999
Probably it's something that's now on time also in 64 and FiR that is tubeless design, which requires printing plastic parts instead of classic PVC tubes. Tubeless, damperless. The chamber compensates and regulates what the PVC tube and fIlters does classically. In Diy it is practically unprofitable, in mass production so, because you assemble everything like lego bricks and make money without jewelry precision.
I think it’s quite a good design when you want to save spaces, because some configurations need very long tube. It works for small shell design tho.

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #9,598 of 15,999
Is this design MASM without damper, same configuration as normal MASM?
Btw I’m think about learning abit of 3D modelling to make the dream Campfire shell lol. I love their design.
Anw does anyone know how campfire iem TAEC technology works? Is it just a big resonator?
Yah, but the drivers are slightly changed

For TAEC, it is treble pressure reduction resonator which actually started working properly from gen 2 of Andromeda.
It is a big 3D printed adapter for spoutless BA, which helps the BA eliminate small spout resonance and some other resonance, which leads to peakless lower treble.

This type of design can be done to any spoutless BA also, to preserve how the driver peaks internally and not effected by any factors.

Well, the more I am listening to Andromeda nowadays, the more I am getting away from it.
I started finding its signature weird even though it produces good stage.

I find that the design sacrificed a lot here and there in tuning to get the stage perfect.
Things like cohesiveness and imaging is affected a lot. I can feel tweeter firing very different from other three bassy drivers.

The iems which do a better job in same price category
Shure 846 (4drivers)
AKG N5005 (5 drivers)
Meze Rai penta (5drivers)
Sony IER M7 and M9(4drivers and 5 drivers)

8 driver flagship setup for @Jedrula1 or any other sonion guy

Sonion 38D1XJ007Mi/8a series wired(full range electronically, damped by internal factors, dampers and L-pad)

L-pad
Rseries = 4.7ohms
Rparallel = 4.7ohms

Damper= Yellow at center
Tube= 2mm ID x 12mm length

Sonion 33AJ007i series wired(crossed high)

Crossover (its a high pass, please remember that)
Rc= 47ohms
Cc= 10uF

Rc goes parallel
Cc goes in series

Damper = Yellow damper between center of tube and spout

Sonion 2389D center pass parallel(crossed high, its dual version of 2389....and added extra 2ohms)

Center tap parallel , but try to keep phase normal and same to other two set of drivers.

Capacitor series= 2.2uF

Damper= Brown damper

Sonion EST65DA01(crossed electrostatic tweeter, damped with Sonion 2389D in same tube)

Capacitor series = 470nF

I have been working in these driver for past few days and came out with this setup

Lowest THD and Harman Kardon response curve till 12kHz, after that, limitless airy treble(to increase the perception of stage while keeping it perfectly rounded)

SpeedRecord is

Knowles GU-32829

Knowles RAB32066(new zobel, this is different driver and not from the 20~22ohm lineup RAB/RAF series).

Same tubing and setup, no dampers on both of the drivers.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #9,599 of 15,999
Speaking of electrostat. I don't know what will appear first: Proper use of this driver in the whole project, or an explanation why using this driver makes sense. Like a double double elecrostat, for example. My dog would be happy. I can probably hear to about 16.5khz (33 years old).

EE
Granted, anything over 20kHz is not audible to your average person, but a driver possessing the agility requisite to stably operate at those higher frequencies is also capable of resolution and detail unparalleled by any other type of driver.

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #9,600 of 15,999
Speaking of electrostat. I don't know what will appear first: Proper use of this driver in the whole project, or an explanation why using this driver makes sense. Like a double double elecrostat, for example. My dog would be happy. I can probably hear to about 16.5khz (33 years old).

EE
I am crossing it at 16kHz nearby with -3dB slope

Electrostatic driver usage it lift the rolling of treble from current design(and its with every super high pass driver). The added benefit of raised driver is added speed which is heard as fundamental tone with the remaining shimmer from slow speed device.

Second, there is an advantage of hearing till 24kHz on higher range and below 10Hz on low range.

And by actual standards, musical fundamental data is till 14kHz, so we don't actually need a tweeter, but it is added for raising the the response of the rolling of treble, so we cab hear subtle details properly.

But doing a crazy high pass like 220nF on SWFK is not a good option until or unless you have some crazy dip on sensible treble region and you want a slope of -3dB to fill it in.

Electrostatic is added for lower distortion figures and a speedier response with lowest DPD and THD, and dual just boost the dB whilst keeping upper.value same, increasing signal in SNR. This helps in more clearer transient response and more clarity all over the treble which gives a feeling of effortlessness. And Dual EST can be crossed lower too

PoorManMonitors Series update

PMM-1
Single RAF, 10mm tube, 2mm ID, brown damper, zobel

PMM-2 Hybrid
10mm dynamic driver from Tonlen(aliexpress, the gold one with a spout infront) + 50ohm resistor + yellow damper x2

10mm tube, 1mm ID(adapt it with 2mm ID tube to get 1mm ID working)

RAF as above
Parallel to each other

PMM-2
RAF parallel, new zobel for parallel , 10ohm resistor

1st RAF : 2mm IDx 10mm length tube, brown damper
2nd RAF: 2mm IDx 10mm length tube, yellow damper x 2

PMM- 2 reference

RAF as PMM 1(same brown damper and everything)
Bellsing WBFK is shared with RAF with 470nF capacitors

I think these are cheap enough and justify the sound tuning

Hope you guys enjoy the PoorMan series like you enjoyed Pro(MASM is inside this series) and Final series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back