Home-Made IEMs
Dec 21, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #7,850 of 15,989
How do you guys mount MMCX without having to sand after? This was a;ways my issue.

I use a round grinding bit on my rotary tool (e.g. Dremel) and just cut a seat for the circular section of the MMCX jack. I keep grinding deeper until jack sits flush with the top of my shell and then I "lock" it in with some UV resin. The top plate on the shell secures it from ever falling out and the extra UV resin I encase it with inside the shell prevents it from getting pushed into the shell when I'm changing cables and such, Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #7,853 of 15,989
Hello, I've bought some stuff from Taobao, and the seller didn't sent the right stuff, this item is missing: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?_u=b3l8511gdb13&id=560131088665

So, I use Yoybuy to redirect my orders from Taobao. The package arrived in the Yoybuy warehouse November 21 and I received it today here in Brazil and discovered that this item was missing. The seller is saying in the chat that it took too long for me to say that something are missing and don't wan't to refund me. It was impossible to know that the item was missing before because the shipping time. Anyone know what can I do? Asking for a refund in the Taobao site will work? or the seller can still say no?

From what I understand the seller is willing to ship it again to Yoybuy, but it's not worth it because I don't have anything to redirect to my country and paying the shipping just for this item isn't viable.

Anyone can help me? This is the second time i'm having trouble with this seller by the way, the first time I've bought 2 meters of sound tube and he sent just one. Watch out!

I’ve had similar issues and unfortunately, I don’t think there is much you can do. I had my bank get involved and they helped me out. I always know I’m taking a risk buying from those sites. The prices are so good but it’s a gamble. Sorry man.

Dec 22, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #7,854 of 15,989
I use a round grinding bit on my rotary tool (e.g. Dremel) and just cut a seat for the circular section of the MMCX jack. I keep grinding deeper until jack sits flush with the top of my shell and then I "lock" it in with some UV resin. The top plate on the shell secures it from ever falling out and the extra UV resin I encase it with inside the shell prevents it from getting pushed into the shell when I'm changing cables and such, Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers!

My main problem is the excess resin outside the shell for attaching the female mmcx. I alway have a lump around the mmcx so i have to sand it and it's really hard to avoid the mmcx when sanding around it.

Dec 22, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #7,856 of 15,989
My main problem is the excess resin outside the shell for attaching the female mmcx. I alway have a lump around the mmcx so i have to sand it and it's really hard to avoid the mmcx when sanding around it.

I may have to clear off my workbench and unpack my IEM supplies and take some pics of my process. I’m between hobbies at the moment but I have some people I’d like to make IEMs for. I’ll see what I can post next week when off work.

Dec 22, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #7,857 of 15,989
Kind of a noob question...
What should be considered in crossover calculations, overall impedence or impedence at 1kHz? Or impedence at crossover frequency?
For example for CI-22955 overall = 19Ohm, @1k = 68Ohm and @500Hz = 47Ohm

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #7,858 of 15,989
Hello everyone,

I am incredibly thankful for this thread. Such a respectful and helpful community. I pretty much hope, I can become a valuable member too.

I spent the last few months reading the entire thread, planning and tinkering.

Here is the second pair I built (first pair was similar design, but broke quickly):
TQTHjlb
PCUoXqt.jpg

zvdyEQV.jpg
KJpgywX.jpg
Ur5Q4zZ.jpg
It's a simple Knowles GV build using Dreve Fotoplast as shell material. Will try the Bellsing 5-driver and then piotrus-gs recipe from page 265. My ultimate goal is a hybrid with a dynamic driver for bass.

I have a million questions, but the most pressing is this:

How to grind/buff/polish the shells after sanding (I use a dome tip for a dremel for grinding). I tried a million different ways to get the shell clean again after sanding, the best I came up with to use 1200 wet sanding paper to even out the worst scratches, then a rubber cylinder tip on the dremel and then finish with a leather disc. But it's a time consuming process and I cannot get it to be 100% clear, it stays a little foggy (as you can see in the pictures)

I am simply to clumsy with a paintbrush to get a good finish with Dreve Lack 3 (I always get drops, bubbles), so I would prefer to use laquer only on the inside and a manual polishing process on the outside.

Best regards

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #7,860 of 15,989
Hello head-fier
anyone try balanced armature from this Chinese manufacturer yet? I found many of them on taobao.com

I bought a few China clone drivers, my suggestion is just go for the real deal knowles. These Chinese drivers trying replicate the original model and modifications. But very often they compromise on last 10-20% of the quality.

I bought bellsing and knowles ED29689. Bellsing sound flatter, but you still need to use orange filter to get the low frequency. The bright mid of knowles is lacking in bellsing. It turns out that bellsing is neither here nor there.

I also bought knowles RAB 32257, bellsing 32257 and the seller you mention single driver 32257 and dual driver 32257. Bellsing’s sound stage is narrower and messier, and the high has more roll off. The Taobao single 32257 is way flatter, smoother, I haven’t fully try it out yet because I spend my time on next 2 drivers. The Taobao dual driver is very bassy but the high is very roll off even without any filters. It has a lot of dip after 4kHz, male vocal very forward, female is laid back, some electric guitar is loud, and some very high frequency is roll off. Quite a messy replica.

And it bring back the knowles 32257. The bass is very punchy and well control. The mid is forward and high is very bright, I used grey filter to control the sibilant a bit. There’s minimum or no roll off on the high. I wouldn’t want to use white filter as it might make the bass too overpowering. Not that I didn’t remove the vent filter yet, and the bass is already very strong.

End of the day, just get the real knowles Drivers. You won’t regret it. The only time I’ll suggest to get a China clone driver is when you really very unfamiliar with diy iem. Personally I destroyed 1 or 2 pairs of drivers. Now I feel more confident in making my own iem, that’s why I changed to use knowles drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back