Home-Made IEMs
Nov 27, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #7,817 of 15,989
Woah those are some long tubing o.O

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #7,818 of 15,989
Unconventional driver configuration - I have been prototyping and might be onto something that sounds really really good.

I am shocked at the detail and clarity, sounds super crisp as well.

Given how long those tubes are, & how much you will have to trim them for final fit, do you anticipate much of a change in the sound?

I seem to recall reading the length of the tubes can affect sound signatures, potentially quite a bit.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #7,819 of 15,989
Woah those are some long tubing o.O
Lol, I usually always do multiple tes
Given how long those tubes are, & how much you will have to trim them for final fit, do you anticipate much of a change in the sound?

I seem to recall reading the length of the tubes can affect sound signatures, potentially quite a bit.

Length of tubing absolutely affect the frequency, I should have better specified in the pic. The pic with the long tubing is first test checking drivers are outputting proper range without drop offs, I slip loose tubing on the ends to test. The frequency pic is one of 5 or 6 tests, final tube length is approx 10-12mm on the HODVTEC w/ yellow damper and 30761 w/ red damper and 7-10mm on the 29689. When I closed the shells there was a reduction in the 2k-5k range with a smooth roll off, very easy to listen too with high clarity.

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #7,824 of 15,989
that’s the secret sauce, I may share it but not just yet!!!!
Great work, looking forward to it. Im done with ed 29689, wbfk and rab. All work in full range, no crossover the rab and wbfk spout being take off and no filter, the series config result not enough power to wbfk, i did some in pararel and series to ed. Now iam Working with ci, fed, ed and wbfk.. Might use r to level the spl the ci and ed..i might put some thing in the nozle to tune the overall sound

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #7,825 of 15,989
Hi. Looking for advice regarding drivers. I have GK-31732 on the way and was wondering if damper would be needed for mid-high frequency part of the driver? I would really like to avoid sibilance, this is a sensitive matter to me. I was browsing this thread and was unable to find any sound description of this driver.

Ps. work you guys do is inspiring :) I'll post my result when all the materials arrive and I'll find time for this project.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #7,827 of 15,989
Hi. Looking for advice regarding drivers. I have GK-31732 on the way and was wondering if damper would be needed for mid-high frequency part of the driver? I would really like to avoid sibilance, this is a sensitive matter to me. I was browsing this thread and was unable to find any sound description of this driver.

Ps. work you guys do is inspiring :) I'll post my result when all the materials arrive and I'll find time for this project.
I believe red on CI and green on TWFK are considered go to dampers for GK.
But also consider moving one step up or down in terms of acoustic resistance to tune your IEM to your liking.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #7,828 of 15,989
Has anyone had issues with buying BAs from Soundlink on Aliexpress?

I ordered some Knowles 32830 during 11.11.

They shipped them with ZERO protection. Just the $100 worth of BAs tossed in a ziplock baggie inside a shipping envelope.

The shipping envelope has tire marks from getting run over, and there is a big hole in the envelope as well as through both of the inner ziplock baggies.

1 BA driver is totally missing, obviously from ripped out of the package. The other driver has a huge dent in the body, and the bass sounds distorted.

I am surprised and quite disappointed they didn't wrap the BAs better - in bubble wrap, or in a small plastic box, or whatever. I know they can't prevent some random fork lift guy from doing doughnuts all over my package, but that is total BS not to at least package the drivers with minimal protection.

I opened a dispute, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully I don't get the runaround :rage:

DSCN0018.JPG
DSCN0019.JPG
DSCN0020.JPG
DSCN0026.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #7,829 of 15,989
Has anyone had issues with buying BAs from Soundlink on Aliexpress?

I ordered some Knowles 32830 during 11.11.

They shipped them with ZERO protection. Just the $100 worth of BAs tossed in a ziplock baggie inside a shipping envelope.

The shipping envelope has tire marks from getting run over (I assume), and there is a big hole in the envelope as well as both inside ziplock baggies. 1 driver is totally missing, obviously from ripped out of the package. The other driver has a huge dent in the body, and the bass sounds distorted.

I am surprised and quite disappointed they didn't wrap the BAs better - in bubble wrap, or in a small plastic box, or whatever. I know they can't prevent some random fork lift guy from doing doughnuts all over my package, but that is total BS not to at least package the drivers with minimal protection.

I opened a dispute, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully I don't get the runaround :rage:

I am quite surprised to see this. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them including a few BAs and they packed it in a cardboard box (also around 100$ worth). Inside, BAs were in those rose plastic bags but given how large the bags were compared to BAs, leftover plastic acted as a much needed cushion and everything was fine. I am sure that they will refund or resend, Soundlink is a Knowles distributor and should be trusted, at least I'd expect so.

Give us an update when all is said and done.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #7,830 of 15,989
I am quite surprised to see this. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them including a few BAs and they packed it in a cardboard box (also around 100$ worth). Inside, BAs were in those rose plastic bags but given how large the bags were compared to BAs, leftover plastic acted as a much needed cushion and everything was fine. I am sure that they will refund or resend, Soundlink is a Knowles distributor and should be trusted, at least I'd expect so.

Give us an update when all is said and done.

Will do.

I also had a 2nd totally separate order, of more BAs and some tubing. That order was packaged the exact same way (no protection whatsoever).

I haven’t tested those drivers yet, but visually they look OK (plus the outer envelope is free of tire marks). I am assuming the parts in that order are OK, despite the lack of packaging protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back