Home-Made IEMs
Oct 30, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #7,786 of 15,910
Hi!

Maybe someone can help:
Knowles GV - 4 vents, 2 are covered with 1 yellow tape, the other two with a "black" tape - If all vents are OPEN (tape removed) I should get better bass response, right? Is this working in a closed shell? You guys open the vents or you mean it makes not much difference? I tried it, but to me it's not a huge one.

Shell finish with Fotoplast Lack:
Final finish with the Fotoplast is a bit hard if you want it perfect (100% perfect), I always get very tiny "bubbles" not a lot, just a few on the surface after it has been hardened in the UV light. Any ideas about getting a super and perfect finish? Maybe changing to the Egger Lack instead? Or do you guys buff the shell a bit (to remove tiny bubbles and irregularities and then polish it to high gloss? Any suggestions welcome!

And final question:
Glue the tube to the BA. Best practise? Did it always with fotoplast gel and hardened it, but if the tube gets too much bend in the shell, the tube is getting really easy of the BA. superglue should not be the way to go I read. Any"professional" suggestion?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #7,787 of 15,910
Shell finish with Fotoplast Lack:
Final finish with the Fotoplast is a bit hard if you want it perfect (100% perfect), I always get very tiny "bubbles" not a lot, just a few on the surface after it has been hardened in the UV light. Any ideas about getting a super and perfect finish? Maybe changing to the Egger Lack instead? Or do you guys buff the shell a bit (to remove tiny bubbles and irregularities and then polish it to high gloss? Any suggestions welcome!

And final question:
Glue the tube to the BA. Best practise? Did it always with fotoplast gel and hardened it, but if the tube gets too much bend in the shell, the tube is getting really easy of the BA. superglue should not be the way to go I read. Any"professional" suggestion?

Thanks a lot!

Are you using a rotator to even out the lacquer? if not then it will get better, but I get some imperfections too. From what I've read most people don't but and polish the Lacquer, just the fotoplast.

About the tube, a lot of people use Bondic (Uv glue) or Loctite 495 (superglue but don't release the white "smoke" that can ruin the drivers). I've got great results with Loctite.

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #7,788 of 15,910
Are you using a rotator to even out the lacquer? if not then it will get better, but I get some imperfections too. From what I've read most people don't but and polish the Lacquer, just the fotoplast.

About the tube, a lot of people use Bondic (Uv glue) or Loctite 495 (superglue but don't release the white "smoke" that can ruin the drivers). I've got great results with Loctite.

Hi!

Yes. I use the original motor Dreve is selling. It seems the imperfections come after the curing. But curing light is also Dreve original. So idk how you guys get a perfect finish... Maybe its a brush thing? I use the included one.

Thank you!

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #7,789 of 15,910
Krystalloid is definitely the way to go if you can’t get it, I would use gelatin. I have a couple methods I use for Faceplates and I do not use glycerin to second cure the Faceplates.

The method I do most is really simple. I use a piece of glass from a 4x6 picture frame. I pour the material on the clean piece of glass and kind of twist it until it spreads out. Remember, Fotoplast cures hard without the tacky layer where there is no oxygen present, so where the Fotoplast is touching the glass it fully cures with no issues. I use an ultraviolet flashlight to cure it, and then I will use a sharp edge to peel from the glass.

If I need the Faceplate to be thinner or really flat I pour the Fotoplast on the glass then I place another piece of glass on it the flatten it really good like this and cure with UV flashlight. The UV flashlight I use is a alldaymall wF-501B I bought the model that had a rechargeable battery. I’ve had it for years. I use this same flashlight when I fill the canals with Fotoplast using a syringe to lock in the acoustic tubing. I have since purchased a wand but find the flashlight better, maybe because of habit I have learned how to cure effectively with it.

Hey man, thanks for taking the time and posting this!! So when you use one piece of glass you just leave the tacky layer facing the inside of the shell? or do you sand off the tacky layer?

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #7,790 of 15,910
Anyone knows a good way to paint shells with opaque colours? I'm trying to get a solid black shell, but with the opaque dye that I've tried, it didn't cure well. Already tried painting with nail polish, but the results aren't great either, I've got a lot of imperfections, buildups and it's difficult to know where the lacquer was aplied because of the shiny look of the nail polish.

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #7,792 of 15,910
For black shells, if I don't have them printed that way, what I do is paint the inside of clear shells. It's not the easiest thing to do, but it looks good when you're done

Unfortunately that don't look good on my shells too, the spots where the resin got thicker are visible when I paint that way, so you can see it was painted from the inside. :frowning2:

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #7,794 of 15,910
Maybe someone can help:
Knowles GV - 4 vents, 2 are covered with 1 yellow tape, the other two with a "black" tape - If all vents are OPEN (tape removed) I should get better bass response, right? Is this working in a closed shell? You guys open the vents or you mean it makes not much difference? I tried it, but to me it's not a huge one.

I would appreciate explanation on this as well.

Effect of removing only yellow tape and not black tape?
Effect of removing only black tape and not yellow tape?
Effect of removing both yellow and black tape?

I assume when opening the driver vents, the shell needs to be vented as well to get the maximum effect?

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #7,795 of 15,910
What tools are best for sanding shells before buffing and lacquer? I've sanded by hand and I've used sandpaper mandrels for my Dremel and I'm still having trouble getting into the tight curves and bends of the shell. What grits are recommended? I've been starting at 600 and working up to 2000. My process seems terribly inefficient and I'm hoping there's something I'm missing that could make it easier.

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #7,797 of 15,910
Hi, this is my full metal shell set based on GQ-30783. Its produce pretty good natural sound but peak at ~5.5khz slightly overwhelming rest of frequency, now tube is 10mm, 2mm id with brown damper 3mm away from driver. What do you think about make tube 2-3mm shorter? Sonion earphone design guide says its should reduce 2nd peak and push it a little to higher frequency. Shorter tube also provide me make driver better glued to shell, now one side of driver is with out glue.

zestaw.jpg
zestaw2.jpg

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #7,798 of 15,910
Anyone knows a good universal shell in taobao for tuning the drivers? I'm thinking about tuning my drivers, choose dampers etc.. in a universal shell because its easy to assemble since most of them already have room for connectors and take disassemble after. But i'm having doubts in which one to choose, there are too many and I need one that can fit at least 2 sound tubes, if not I can't use it for a GK or GV.

Other question, how to attach a sound tube to the knowles SR-32453? It doesn't have a spout like other drivers and I wanna use in a custom shell, do you guys think this is a good Full range driver?

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #7,799 of 15,910
Anyone knows a good universal shell in taobao for tuning the drivers? I'm thinking about tuning my drivers, choose dampers etc.. in a universal shell because its easy to assemble since most of them already have room for connectors and take disassemble after. But i'm having doubts in which one to choose, there are too many and I need one that can fit at least 2 sound tubes, if not I can't use it for a GK or GV.

Other question, how to attach a sound tube to the knowles SR-32453? It doesn't have a spout like other drivers and I wanna use in a custom shell, do you guys think this is a good Full range driver?

I spend hours on searching universal shell which has ability to fit 2 sound tubes in nozle and i don't see any. I even thing about buy kz audio earphones and use it shell.
Link to shell which i use, nozle id is 3.2mm. With agent fee was cost me ~ 25$.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...2qCDsO&id=536417055706&ns=1&abbucket=6#detail
To SR driver probably you need something like that.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Con...&terminal_id=18ef9049ed3e4c6199cccd4a5c9dad03

Users who are viewing this thread

Back