Home-Made IEMs
Jan 6, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #7,232 of 16,070
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #7,233 of 16,070
You want a band pass filter right? You can just wire a low pass filter into a high pass filter or vice versa.

I want a band-stop filter. To notch out a frequency between 2kHz and 5kHz. I can use the lowpass-filter okay by itself, like I connected it in my diagram. And I can use the highpass-filter okay aswell by itself, also like on the diagram. But when I connect both of them together like in the pictures, it only makes the low frequencies come through. I want it to carve out the "bad" frequencies that I want to tame as much as possible. I can show a measurement of the driver without any filtering and you will understand why I want to remove this.

Egna In ear No Filter.png

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #7,234 of 16,070
I want a band-stop filter. To notch out a frequency between 2kHz and 5kHz. I can use the lowpass-filter okay by itself, like I connected it in my diagram. And I can use the highpass-filter okay aswell by itself, also like on the diagram. But when I connect both of them together like in the pictures, it only makes the low frequencies come through. I want it to carve out the "bad" frequencies that I want to tame as much as possible. I can show a measurement of the driver without any filtering and you will understand why I want to remove this.

Oh right, ok if you want a band stop then just wire the low pass filter in parallel with the high pass filter.

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #7,235 of 16,070
The thing is, I thought I already did the same as on this diagram:

Wideband-notch-filter.png

I don't exactly know how I am supposed to connect the components in the right order...
What is the difference between mine and this exactly?

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #7,236 of 16,070
The thing is, I thought I already did the same as on this diagram:

Wideband-notch-filter.png

I don't exactly know how I am supposed to connect the components in the right order...
What is the difference between mine and this exactly?

Well I honestly have no clue what you did. You put a resistor in parallel with a capacitor, then connected them together into another resistor in parallel with another capacitor and the transducer.

It's not the prettiest or neatest but you can just follow what's below. It's basically the same thing as what you just posted above, just in an easier way to understand I guess?

20180107_014855.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #7,238 of 16,070

That being said though, that peak you're speaking of between 2 kHz and 5 kHz is normal. I'm pretty sure the frequency response curve is just an uncompensated one.

If you look at the Harman target curve, you'll see that for perceived neutrality, or at least what Harman considers to be, there is a peak between the given frequencies:
140202_Blog_HarmanResearchUpdate_GraphDFvsOliveWelti.jpg

Even the HD800S has one:
Sennheiser_HD800S_Plots_CompareWithDIY.jpg

So I'm not sure why you're trying to get rid of it.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #7,239 of 16,070
Well, the measurement is my own. And I used a compensated curve aswell. I have the Veritas II measurement microphone from this place: https://diyearphone.com/products/veritas-ii

I used their own correction curve linked in that page. I know that the response seems exaggerated, but this sound is absolutely earbleeding! Without a filter it is impossible to listen to.
It is the nature of these drivers it seems. But it is also the cheapest balanced armature driver I could find, otherwise it would have been to good to be true.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #7,240 of 16,070
Well, the measurement is my own. And I used a compensated curve aswell. I have the Veritas II measurement microphone from this place: https://diyearphone.com/products/veritas-ii

I used their own correction curve linked in that page. I know that the response seems exaggerated, but this sound is absolutely earbleeding! Without a filter it is impossible to listen to.
It is the nature of these drivers it seems. But it is also the cheapest balanced armature driver I could find, otherwise it would have been to good to be true.

I might be wrong but I think the correction curve they've given is for the microphone calibration, not for perceived neutrality. Either way, does your design comprise of more than one transducer? If you don't have another driver to compensate for the missing frequency, I'm going to assume it's going to sound very odd.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #7,241 of 16,070
Thank you for the information! :) I am well aware of what kind of a sound I am after, and this is a big learning process for me.
Though, I am very excited for it! Because I know that I can make this driver sound great with the right tools. I just need some help and inspiration to get there. I couldn't figure this out on my own, so that is why this forum is so amazing!

I can show you another measurement of a pair of dynamic-IEMs that I measured aswell. It is not nearly as bad with those frequencies, so it may be the driver itself that is the problem.
FR.png

Maybe I am totally wrong with this, you are probably right about the correction curve. I will see what other settings I can use to re-measure these.

Again, thank you very much for the help!

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #7,242 of 16,070
Maybe I am totally wrong with this, you are probably right about the correction curve. I will see what other settings I can use to re-measure these.

There isn't really a need to compensate it for perceived neutrality, so long as you're aware that there is supposed to be a curve there, just maybe not as intense.

hank you for the information! :) I am well aware of what kind of a sound I am after, and this is a big learning process for me.
Though, I am very excited for it! Because I know that I can make this driver sound great with the right tools. I just need some help and inspiration to get there. I couldn't figure this out on my own, so that is why this forum is so amazing!

Did you consider using acoustic filters instead of electrical filters? If the issue is a peak I don't think electrical filters are a good solution to that.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #7,243 of 16,070
There isn't really a need to compensate it for perceived neutrality, so long as you're aware that there is supposed to be a curve there, just maybe not as intense.

Did you consider using acoustic filters instead of electrical filters? If the issue is a peak I don't think electrical filters are a good solution to that.

Yes, it is definitely not THAT bad, but it is good to be able to see where the problem area is more clearly.

I did use knowles and sonion filters, but I got better results using toilet paper. Though, either filters made the sound to be veiled.
Here is another measurement with acoustic filtering:

Anders In Ear FR.png

I did not care too much for the sound, even though it is not earpiercing anymore.

Now I will take a break for the night. I will get back to this with a fresh mind tomorrow morning!

Thank you very much for all the help! :)

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #7,244 of 16,070
Hi, Do any of you guys know of a good source (In the USA) for purchasing Dynamic Drivers?
Preferably high quality, featuring Biological diaphragm, or Beryllium, or Carbon nano-diaphragm, Graphene would be nice as well..
Anybody know where I can find something like this in the USA???
Thanks so much for your time! :)

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #7,245 of 16,070
Also: I did find this store here that sells them (along with a bunch of other really cool DIY parts):
https://greensense.aliexpress.com/store/323026?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.398a2fa5VmpSUX
But, I HATE shopping at AliExpress because it takes forever for your order to arrive, -IF- it even does arrive.

That said; I may have no other choice, so the next question is:
Has anyone here ever had any experience with the above seller (Chitty's Store) on AliExpress?

Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back