Home-Made IEMs
Jan 7, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #7,246 of 15,989
finished )
photo_2018-01-07_17-30-18.jpg photo_2018-01-07_17-30-09.jpg

Jan 7, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #7,248 of 15,989
Looks nice, and I have some questions :)
It looks like you have attached the tubes with a peace of steel pipe to the driver, or something like this.
And although it looks like another steel pipe at the end of the ear canal.

Why did you do this? Does it affect the sound, or was it just for testing?

In my opinion the Wood Faceplates look better, when they have the shape of the InEar. For me, it looks like it does not belong to the headphones, but it‘s only my opinion, the work looks very good. *respekt*

I have always a big Problem with clear shells, so I have to colour them, but now I‘m trying to make some „smoke black“ Shells... even with a GK driver
Greets Chris

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #7,249 of 15,989
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to build a new pair to replace my current GK setup. I'm finding the GK's to be a little too flat for my liking - I'd like to build a pair with a bit more of a V curve with (hopefully) increased sub-bass. Has anyone tried a HODVTEC+TWFK combination? Would I need to build a crossover, or can I just wire them up? And should I go series or parallel? So far, all of the builds I've done have been with pre-built GK's or GV's, so the crossover side of things is still new to me.

I was also thinking about trying a dual CI+TWFK, but I've heard that just makes a mess of the low end.

Thanks!

Edit: Aaand I'm an idiot - the GV IS an HODVTEC+TWFK. So that leaves the question - how do I get more bass out of a GK or a GV setup?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #7,252 of 15,989
Looks nice, and I have some questions :)
It looks like you have attached the tubes with a peace of steel pipe to the driver, or something like this.
And although it looks like another steel pipe at the end of the ear canal.

Why did you do this? Does it affect the sound, or was it just for testing?

In my opinion the Wood Faceplates look better, when they have the shape of the InEar. For me, it looks like it does not belong to the headphones, but it‘s only my opinion, the work looks very good. *respekt*

I have always a big Problem with clear shells, so I have to colour them, but now I‘m trying to make some „smoke black“ Shells... even with a GK driver
Greets Chris

--> These pipes are used, at the BA for better support and it makes the coupling better. At the end was used at first because of various recommendations(smaller at exit port for lo end and larger exit port for Hi.. The second reason was because I saw this somewhere and liked the look so I tried it and it gave me a somewhat better response curve so I've used it on my only 2 completed pair of units.

As far as the faceplate, I'm still new at this and as others have done, they cut a small portion of the back and use that shape for the faceplate. I suppose I could start looking at ways to make all of them with similar faceplate shapes. I just haven't got to that point yet.

I had many many clear scraps that ended up foggy looking and with continued help from this site, I'm able to finally get something that looks fairly clear. There are others on here that produce crystal clear and I just haven't got there yet. I get shells that need patching up once I pull them but the best trick I've learned, is to be sure the shell cures all the way. Longer time in the glycerin and clean with lightly soapy water when removed. If I used alcohol, I get foggy. I could polish the outside, but couldn't figure out a way to polish the inside. My colored shells are still learning curve items as well.

2935801.png

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #7,253 of 15,989
Thank you for your response.
I know what you mean with the foggy inside off the shells.

These are my actual InEars
1331D26A-F89B-450D-9798-F91203661D9B.jpeg
721B5A17-DE3C-436B-94F6-5AD527D119BA.jpeg
9EA2644B-9B9D-48CE-9C5F-917325AD40FD.jpeg

And these are the shells I‘m actually working on
FD1947B0-4678-4FCF-850D-A849E40DDBA2.jpeg

The blue ones are my GV-driver IEM and the new ones are going to be some GK‘s with a white damper and only one Soundtube.
This time for the Faceplate I will make it like the shells with my initials... I hope it will work to drill it into the material...

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #7,257 of 15,989
Has anyone tried using the UVICUBE for curing? I just picked one up for $20 and I haven't tried it. Do you think it will work>? https://www.uvicube.com/pages/operating-instructions

I tried something similar, it was a sanitizer(got it cheap) but the wavelength of the bulbs were incorrect. I took my nail lamp apart and used the lights inside the sanitizer enclosure. It works great. I plan to make it nice and neat and rewire it with 8 nail lamps inside on 2 shelves when I get the sockets for them. My findings especially with this setup is that curing works best with UV light on sides and bottom, with the rotating clear table. Light on the top is not necessary, it gets enough reflected light to do what is needed to the top.

Nice, is this your design? Looks very promising.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #7,260 of 15,989
Ok guys I need some help. I’ve been around watching for years a tried and tried again. I have a 36watt nail UV setup and I’m just not getting consistent shells. I have weak spots and my curing time is upwards of 8 minutes. Im using krystaloid (its 2 years old and used probably 10 times). Help please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back