Home-Made IEMs
Nov 1, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #7,111 of 15,989
05CC39AC-FFB4-4649-93D2-C0A7E5051E22.jpeg 015A40B5-D501-41DF-A914-0F741C9AB5B3.jpeg Needed a new UV curing station that had a more even spread of light. Other than soldering the 90 leds, this turned out extremely well. I finally got to use my repurposed ATX power supply for something! It cures my resin in 4 minutes, solid. Now time to try and make some shells.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #7,112 of 15,989
So, I also wanted to try another curing "oven". I have been using a 4 tube florescent nail oven, but struggle with consistency in shell thickness. I thought maybe something like this might provide a more uniform light source. This is a piece of 4" flue pipe from Home Depot and some stick-on uv led strips (395-405nm) from amazon. I bought 5 meters for $9 and did not use all of it. The bottom rows of leds are sandwiched between plexiglass. I poured some shells this evening, but I'm now wondering if this is overkill. Things seem to happen almost too fast. My first shells got way too thick with solid canals, even at just half the time of what I was using with the florescent unit. Was at around 90 seconds with the florescent and 45 secs is too much with this. Wondering if having lights in the bottom is counter productive. I also was hoping it would run cooler than my florescent nail oven as Gelatin molds don't like heat. However this one also gets a bit warm so I made the cylinder stand off the bottom about 1/8 in and added a fan from a cpu cooler to draw air up through especially for the longer glycerin cooking stage. That keeps it cool, but realistically it's probably not needed with such short exposure times. Hopefully can get it dialed in without wasting too much Fotoplast....

20171101_215611.jpg

20171101_215418.jpg 20171101_215404.jpg 20171101_215553.jpg

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #7,114 of 15,989
So, I also wanted to try another curing "oven". I have been using a 4 tube florescent nail oven, but struggle with consistency in shell thickness. I thought maybe something like this might provide a more uniform light source. This is a piece of 4" flue pipe from Home Depot and some stick-on uv led strips (395-405nm) from amazon. I bought 5 meters for $9 and did not use all of it. The bottom rows of leds are sandwiched between plexiglass. I poured some shells this evening, but I'm now wondering if this is overkill. Things seem to happen almost too fast. My first shells got way too thick with solid canals, even at just half the time of what I was using with the florescent unit. Was at around 90 seconds with the florescent and 45 secs is too much with this. Wondering if having lights in the bottom is counter productive. I also was hoping it would run cooler than my florescent nail oven as Gelatin molds don't like heat. However this one also gets a bit warm so I made the cylinder stand off the bottom about 1/8 in and added a fan from a cpu cooler to draw air up through especially for the longer glycerin cooking stage. That keeps it cool, but realistically it's probably not needed with such short exposure times. Hopefully can get it dialed in without wasting too much Fotoplast....

I’d agree. Lights on the bottom are probably overkill. Just use a small mirror instead.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #7,117 of 15,989
I'd appreciate help from the hive mind...

I'm really tempted to try my hand at some DIEMS, but getting a hold of the materials is a real pain as I'm based in South Africa. The shipping is such a head-ache.

Does anyone have any experience with ordering from mcear.de? They selling smaller quantities of fotoplast (along with most of the other consumables) and they ship to South Africa. I'd appreciate some input on whether anyone's used them before.

Second question - I'm also considering trying my hand first on a set of universals, as I'd really like something decent to tide my over until I've worked up the courage for custom moulded ones - I'm however hesitant given the recent universal offerings on Ali etc. Seems like there are a couple of hybrid triple drivers imminent. How will a Aliexpress 2xBA 1xDynanic compare to something like GKs in shure shells from Aliexpress? Is that worth the effort?

Cheers!

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #7,121 of 15,989
Wow! Those look great. How do they sound? Also, what’s the socket you’re using? It’s threaded and has multiple pins?

That socket looks like the one Unique Melody is using with their new V3s and cables. Not sure what the name of it is, or where to get it.

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #7,122 of 15,989
Wow! Those look great. How do they sound? Also, what’s the socket you’re using? It’s threaded and has multiple pins?

It has a GK with a HODVTEC in parallel, CI and HODVTEC going out through hypodermic needle tubes (yes my ear canals are small LOL) a red damper on the high's going out a 2mm tube. I get a great sonic orgasm with the sound these deliver!!

The connectors are threaded and have 4 pins, saw them on a bunch of Jerry Harvey CIEM models and fell in love, they are somewhat expensive, I found them on Aliexpress.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #7,123 of 15,989
The connectors are threaded and have 4 pins, saw them on a bunch of Jerry Harvey CIEM models and fell in love, they are somewhat expensive, I found them on Aliexpress.

They look great. I am having some issues with MMCX connectors failing (either too loose or too tight)

Can anyone give a link to some really good quality MMCX connectors ....

and any chance of getting a link (or name of the aliexpress store) to the source on aliexpress for the threaded connectors @alanwcruz :)

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #7,124 of 15,989
They look great. I am having some issues with MMCX connectors failing (either too loose or too tight)

Can anyone give a link to some really good quality MMCX connectors ....

and any chance of getting a link (or name of the aliexpress store) to the source on aliexpress for the threaded connectors @alanwcruz :)

Sure thing, got female connectors here: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5460 and male connectors here: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Ultr...32814063967.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6ZZlad

happy cooking!

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #7,125 of 15,989
wow ... Thanks for the link, but they are very expensive at approx USD$ 30 each!

Are you happy with them? Is there anywhere that you can buy in bulk quantities (ie a box of 50 etc) without taking out a mortgage? :frowning2:

I am a bit peeved with the MMCX connectors on the latest expensive (approx $700 earphones that i bought. One side is very loose and falls out constantly, the other side is so tight that its almost impossible to remove the connection once you have plugged the cable into the earphone. So i am trying to find something that is better for when i start to build my own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back