Home-Made IEMs
Oct 4, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #6,856 of 16,107
What you've asked is kind of like asking which one kind of ice cream everyone prefers. So much depends on your purpose in building and what you will use them for. If your purpose is to mainly save money, do yourself a favor and buy a nice set ready made. I'm far from an expert, but after 6 months of tinkering with these things, I've spent enough money to have bought about 3 sets of nice CIEM's from one of the custom manufacturers. However, if your purpose is to learn and tinker, then I'd recommend you start with one of the well documented combos (in this thread) based on one of the first two options you listed. I found that if you stick to the recipes, they will sound pleasing enough, and give you a good reference point for your next build. Better yet, start with a pre-made GK or HE to make it easy. Although I'm making progress, I will say that most of my early recipe tweaking with various passive components and dampers did not make things better....;>) . Regarding the Belsing drivers, I've built a CI/ED set using the Belsing branded versions of the drivers and I was happy with the result. However, you mention that you're in China. From what I can see, you should have easy access to whatever drivers you want, including Knowles and Sonion.
Thanks for the advice! Need to keep learning here:wink:

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #6,857 of 16,107
I confirm it's not for saving money at all ! I've spent a really big amount of money and remade my pair of iems like 6 times, killed a couple of GKs and spent so much on fotoplast and duplicating stuff which i'm almost out. Managed to make a pair for some friends but sold for material price only.

BTW chek this out, still nothing perfect but yeah :)

IMG_4160.JPG
IMG_4162.JPG
IMG_4163.JPG

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #6,858 of 16,107
I confirm it's not for saving money at all ! I've spent a really big amount of money and remade my pair of iems like 6 times, killed a couple of GKs and spent so much on fotoplast and duplicating stuff which i'm almost out. Managed to make a pair for some friends but sold for material price only.

BTW chek this out, still nothing perfect but yeah :)

Looks good! I like the faceplates. What material did you use/how did you go about printing the logo?

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #6,868 of 16,107
We home brew PRO grade CIEM's!!!!

There are others as well, but what this guy puts out is what most of us strive for. The quality of his work is a result of many many hours of practice. This quality is NOT easily obtained. I myself, am no where close. However, it is a fun and a bit pricey hobby.

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #6,870 of 16,107
There are others as well, but what this guy puts out is what most of us strive for. The quality of his work is a result of many many hours of practice. This quality is NOT easily obtained. I myself, am no where close. However, it is a fun and a bit pricey hobby.

And once you start, you can't stop. It becomes like an obsession. Before you know it you have a lab in your house with equipment of all sorts. It's hard not to pursue perfection because each Piece is meticulously crafted and when there is an imperfection you analyze every aspect to prevent the same mistake in the next build. After a while it become somewhat second nature and you can almost tell how they will turn out just by the hollow shells. It does take lots and lots and lots of time to develop certain quality techniques. If you go through the pages of this forum you will certainly overcome many obstacles, I have posted several tutorials on the very issues I had trouble overcoming with regards to creating top quality builds. For the last year or so I've been saying I was going to put together a google doc with all the tutorials I've done so they are centralized and easy to get to. I'm seeing more and more new names in the forum and seeing past topics resurface that have been buried within the pages some months ago and some years ago so maybe I'll work on the build tutorial sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back